PDA

View Full Version : LF: The most EPIC showpiece tabling SPS

ScubaSteve
07-29-2011, 11:12 PM
After my last rebuild by green birdsnest went kapoot again (like it does after every rebuild)... except this time I've decided only to keep a small frag of it and not really bother to grow it back.

So this has left a nice hole in one of my ledge rocks that is prime location and needs to be filled. My girlfriend must have noticed the mad look in my eyes when I realized all this 'cuz all she said was "uh-oh, I guess this means you're going shopping?".

HECK YEAH IT DOES, LADY!

So, I am looking for the most gorgeous, epic, so-hot-that-Jesus-himself-couldn't-microwave-a-burrito-that-hot centerpiece SPS frag to fill the spot on the edge of this ledge. I am thinking either a tabling SPS or something that will form a nice 'bush' from out the side of the rock. I am looking for crazy colours (think disco) and love things that fluoresce under my LED moonlights.

So, anyone got any suggestions or frags that could fit the bill?

kobelka
07-30-2011, 01:59 AM
Red planet are an awesome tabling acro. I dont have one but wish I did.

doch
07-30-2011, 02:10 AM
Solely for the wicked write up, I wish I did for you.

Zoaelite
07-30-2011, 05:09 AM
Red planet all the way, the thing grows like a beast and is one of the brightest SPS in my tank!

Myka
07-30-2011, 05:19 AM
I think a good quality Bonsai makes a great centerpiece. Grows decently fast too.

I think Red Planet is kinda over-rated, but maybe because I already have a red Acro. I also have a blue with green Candlelight Acro and a Strawberry Shortcake which I think take the cake over any Red Planet I've seen.

Haloreef
07-31-2011, 06:22 AM
They are right Red Planet and the various Bonsai are nice I have both but for me the seemingly rarity of a Red coulored acro wins out for me!
Although the piece of Gator Aid Millie I picked up
a little while ago may take over top spot. Bright orange with green polyps!
I wll have to wait and see if it tables as it grows!
Keith

Ryan
07-31-2011, 08:32 PM
The red planet is nice but everyone and their dog is starting to have them in their tank. I would look for something special noone else has.

riceboy
07-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Anyone wonna hook me up with a red planet lol

bignose
07-31-2011, 11:33 PM
strawberry shortcake?

fishytime
07-31-2011, 11:40 PM
I was gonna say strawberry shortcake too but it would take forever to fill up that hole...... They really do grow slow:neutral:

MarkoD
08-01-2011, 12:51 AM
The red planet is nice but everyone and their dog is starting to have them in their tank. I would look for something special noone else has.

my girlfriends dog started up a 55 gallon reef tank..... and he's got a red planet

Lampshade
08-01-2011, 02:42 AM
Acropora efflorescens. It win's, hands down. You will be the envy of anyone who knows reef tanks. You may even need to get a tank security system.

here's a descriptioni of the epic coral.
http://www.salt-city.org/showthread.php?8251-Acropora-efflorescens-not-verified

By the sounds of it you may need to have some underground connections and/or provide sexual favors to get it. But in the end, it may all be worth it.

dibs on first frag....

Found this while looking for the info on the efflo, bali aquarium seems to have pics of every coral i could think of, and then about 100 times more. Might help in your quest to find your epic coral.
http://www.baliaquarium.net/1-1-0/gallery/acropora.html

Ryan
08-01-2011, 02:48 AM
Now thats a great suggestion!!

Lampshade
08-01-2011, 02:52 AM
I just did a search on this site for it and it looks liek someone here had one in 2003, not sure if it got spread around, but there may be hope in getting it?

Aquattro
08-01-2011, 03:24 AM
I've got a nice green and purple efflo, one of these would make a great centre piece!! They seem to be not as common these days, not sure why.

here's a bad pic, but it kinda shows the potential for a centre piece

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/reef_raf/efflo.jpg

reefermadness
08-01-2011, 04:03 AM
^^ man thats nice.

The efflo's are nice. I bought one as a "$500" efflo but I dont think it is......poor colour at this point. Have another one.....it has blue tips but no green....more of a brownish body which seems to be the common way these turn out.

Red planet is hard to beat though....even if it is getting popular.....who cares the coral is super sweat and everyone should have one.

Aquattro
08-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Red planet is hard to beat though...

I wouldn't know, my frag hasn't grown in 6 months :) I've just moved it to a better spot, so hopefully it starts growing soon!

Haloreef
08-01-2011, 05:17 AM
Oh ya! I love those efflos. I lost the two I had last year when I was on hollidays and all my clams spawned, ( never again ) and crashed my tank! They have the coolest growth pattern, you can't loose with an efflo!
Hard to find though, Solitariences looks close and seems easier to find.
Any one want to sell a frag or colony? Sorry hi-jack over.
Seriously An Efflo would make a nice center piece but in my experiance needs to be lower in the tank if you use halides so keep that in mind.
Keith.

ScubaSteve
08-01-2011, 05:39 AM
Thanks guys! I had got a red planet frag from OC and well... it's never done anything. Maybe if I can find a good stick of it rather than just an encrusted plug it might do something and look good.

I'd be willing to give a RP a try if I could find a good frag but... yeah, everyone and their dog has one and I am REAAALLY looking for somehting that will make everyone go "whoa! what's that?".

$500 efflo... now THAT is an idea!

ScubaSteve
08-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Oh, and I am runnign 250W HQI about 4" off the water and the rock is about 5 to 6" below the water

reefermadness
08-01-2011, 01:37 PM
They have the coolest growth pattern, you can't loose with an efflo!

It's hard to find a nice efflo though......been trying for years. Like I said I got two frags going and both are blue tips but brown body. Even the $500 efflo only rarely goes all blue/purple....usually they are green body and purple/blue tips. If you can find one like that though they are really nice.

Either that or they are all green or green and brown...yuck. Growth pattern is still neat though.

ScubaSteve
08-01-2011, 05:07 PM
I think a good quality Bonsai makes a great centerpiece. Grows decently fast too.

I agree with ya there. I actually have two bonsai's: one frag, one big colony. The frag has wicked green polyps but it more purple branches with a brown base. I have it in a REALLY high light area now, so hopefully it'll like this area more. The colony is actually SeahorseFanatics old monster of a colony that he gave to me when he started to move away from SPS. It really didn't like the move and turned brown, but after a rebuild and a lighting upgrade it is finally electric purple again (still waiting for the nice green polyps.

It's hard to find a nice efflo though......been trying for years. Like I said I got two frags going and both are blue tips but brown body. Even the $500 efflo only rarely goes all blue/purple....usually they are green body and purple/blue tips. If you can find one like that though they are really nice.

Either that or they are all green or green and brown...yuck. Growth pattern is still neat though.

I also agree with you here. $500 Efflo's have been on my 'list' for a while but I haven't really come across one that I just had to have. I really like the growth form, but yeah, their always kinda brown or green.

For a while this was the "hit list"

Red Planet
Sunset Milli
Strawberry Shortcake
A Rainbow Acro (any kind... I like the Rainbow Nasuta)
Crayola Acro (if it has crazy colours)
$500 (Blue Tipped) Efflo
An Undata with some serious "POP" to it (not necessarily for the spot I'm trying to fill)

Any crazy acros I might no have heard of?

Haloreef
08-01-2011, 11:12 PM
You should add the "Purple Monster" to your list.
All purple with white polyps and maybe a hint of a green sheen to it ... sweet!
If you can find one you will see what slow growth is really all about!
Hand mine for about a year and it has tripled in size but it started as a tiny frag.
But, if your looking for rare...
Keith.

Jeff000
08-02-2011, 01:27 AM
I also agree with you here. $500 Efflo's have been on my 'list' for a while but I haven't really come across one that I just had to have. I really like the growth form, but yeah, their always kinda brown or green.

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad24/smokenax14/corals/IMG_1511.jpg

For sale here
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2048912

I like ORA Bird of Paradise and Tyree Pink Lemonade, although the Red Planet ranks way up there too.

reefermadness
08-02-2011, 03:52 AM
For sale here
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2048912

I like ORA Bird of Paradise and Tyree Pink Lemonade, although the Red Planet ranks way up there too.

Ya but that guy is in cali and more than likely wont risk shipping to CAN. BOP, pink lemonade and purple monster are not tabling corals so that kinda rules them out.

Myka
08-02-2011, 04:19 AM
pink lemonade and purple monster are not tabling corals so that kinda rules them out.

Ya, I suppose that rules out all the ones I suggested too. :o There really aren't a whole lot of tabling corals out there.

Baby pink Milles look pretty damn awesome, and Milles are table-ish.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEdM1qHSl4IdvyCtIOjX8MiUiyRRuVF qVnJ6UO7FF_pACkNENcmQ
http://static.wix.com/media/54311869535be8efea73c38f00403a79.wix_mp.jpg

fishytime
08-02-2011, 04:48 AM
Baby pink Milles look pretty damn awesome, and Milles are table-ish.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEdM1qHSl4IdvyCtIOjX8MiUiyRRuVF qVnJ6UO7FF_pACkNENcmQ
http://static.wix.com/media/54311869535be8efea73c38f00403a79.wix_mp.jpg

:lol:thats hilarious Mindy......I was literally digging through my pics trying to find this one Josh took of my two millies when they were big (and alive:neutral:), when you posted......

millies do look good when they table out like this

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/IMG_0402.jpg

and then puke like this:puke::mrgreen:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/IMGP3874.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/IMGP3870.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/IMGP3872.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/IMGP3890.jpg

Myka
08-02-2011, 05:51 AM
DROOLS!! :eek:

Nice one Doug! My Snappy's Supergrape is starting to look like that...growth has been taking off since I took it off the frag rack and "mounted" it (wedged it in the rocks). :thumb:

Jeff000
08-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Ya but that guy is in cali and more than likely wont risk shipping to CAN. BOP, pink lemonade and purple monster are not tabling corals so that kinda rules them out.

Doesn't hurt to send a PM and find out.

I have brought a few pieces up from the states, and might see about bring some more up, but for me to sell something I brought up I would have to make it worth my while, or wait for it to be big enough to make my own frag.

reefermadness
08-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Doesn't hurt to send a PM and find out.

I have brought a few pieces up from the states, and might see about bring some more up, but for me to sell something I brought up I would have to make it worth my while, or wait for it to be big enough to make my own frag.

You do know what you are admitting to right?

Please tell me you didnt post a picture of the act on facebook too?

Best to keep this private.

Jeff000
08-03-2011, 12:44 AM
You do know what you are admitting to right?

Please tell me you didnt post a picture of the act on facebook too?

Best to keep this private.

Keep what private? That I have imported some coral before and will again at some point? I'll post pictures if I want to as well, but I don't really use facebook.
Did I say I am smuggling coral across inside hollowed out nemo figurines?

ScubaSteve
08-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Alrighty, so I was away for a bit but I'm back now. I think I may open it up a bit and say that it doesn't have to be a tabling coral, just something that'll grow out from the rock nicely and fill the area. I had a huge green birdsnest before that did the trick but I've grown tired of the BN. I'm looking to up my SPS chops a bit.

If I can't find anything truly unique, I might change this thread to "LF: Red PLanet frags". I just wish we had the SPS frag selection that the USA does when it comes to finding unique, one-of-a-kind colonies.

Jeff000
08-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Alrighty, so I was away for a bit but I'm back now. I think I may open it up a bit and say that it doesn't have to be a tabling coral, just something that'll grow out from the rock nicely and fill the area. I had a huge green birdsnest before that did the trick but I've grown tired of the BN. I'm looking to up my SPS chops a bit.

If I can't find anything truly unique, I might change this thread to "LF: Red PLanet frags". I just wish we had the SPS frag selection that the USA does when it comes to finding unique, one-of-a-kind colonies.

I have a red planet frag, but it is a bit small right now.
I have a frag of Tyree montipora setosa too, it might look neat, it is a very nice color at least.

I have:
ORA Red Planet
Tyree Bali Tricolor
Tyree Pink Lemonade
Palmers blue millepora
Acropora Abrotonades
Tyree montipora setosa
ORA Perlberry
ORA Bird of Paradise
ORA Hyacinth Bird Nest
ORA Plum Crazy
Reefer madness Rainbow Nasuta
Palletta Prostrata
ORA german blue polyp acropora

And a couple others that I don't have written down on this computer so can't remember, all are just frags right now, so will be a month before anything will be available.

ScubaSteve
08-08-2011, 11:57 PM
I have a red planet frag, but it is a bit small right now.
I have a frag of Tyree montipora setosa too, it might look neat, it is a very nice color at least.

I have:
ORA Red Planet
Tyree Bali Tricolor
Tyree Pink Lemonade
Palmers blue millepora
Acropora Abrotonades
Tyree montipora setosa
ORA Perlberry
ORA Bird of Paradise
ORA Hyacinth Bird Nest
ORA Plum Crazy
Reefer madness Rainbow Nasuta
Palletta Prostrata
ORA german blue polyp acropora

And a couple others that I don't have written down on this computer so can't remember, all are just frags right now, so will be a month before anything will be available.

All just frags or just fragged? If they're all just frags, I'd want you to wait a good while before fragging. I don't want you to compromise your colonies and I am looking for good strong specimens. If they are recently fragged, then we should talk.

Jeff000
08-09-2011, 12:18 AM
All just frags or just fragged? If they're all just frags, I'd want you to wait a good while before fragging. I don't want you to compromise your colonies and I am looking for good strong specimens. If they are recently fragged, then we should talk.

I wont compromise my own stuff :) I'll send you a PM when I think they are ready for sale and you can come have a look see.

Pink birds nest I can do a huge frag of, like 4+"

Edit, Vancouver, maybe not come by, lol.
I have a healthy frag of red planet and pink lemonade right now though, I think plumb crazy too.

ScubaSteve
02-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Resurrecting this bad boy from the dead. Still on the hunt for something incredibly spectacular. Doesn't even need to have a fancy name. Got a piece that blows people's minds? Show me! Or better yet, frag me a piece!

tang daddy
02-14-2012, 09:07 AM
I have some decent sps but wouldnt go as far to say it blows popsicle stands....

Why not make the blue tipped pink mille the center piece?

Reefie
02-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Acropora Solitaryensis

http://www.orafarm.com/products/hardcoral/acropora/solitaryensis.html

This piece is on my list to get next. :wink:

Or you could always give your hand a try with a Pearlberry?

http://www.orafarm.com/products/hardcoral/acropora/pearlberry.html

I just loaded up on frags, so I can only offer suggestions. :sad:

These are my recent additions that may help also:

GARF Bonsai Garden Acro, Purple Bonsai Garden Acro, ORA Hawkins Blue Echinata, ORA Plum Crazy Acro, ORA Pearlberry Acro, ORA Purple Plasma Acro, ORA Red Planet Acro, ORA Pink Jade Acro, ORA Rose Millepora, ORA Green Velvet Acro, ORA Purple Stylo, Bali Green Slimer Acro, Aussie Strawberry Shortcake Acro, Shawn Bennet Yellow Tort, Marshall Island Tricolor Acro, True Blue Hoeksemai, Tyree Pink Lemonade, Deep Purple Valida Acro, Austera Acro, Hot Pink Stylo, Ponape Birdsnest, Birds of Paradise, Green Pocillopora Damicornis, Tyree Red Montipora Setosa

reefwars
02-14-2012, 12:13 PM
buddy forget sps......leathers is where its at.....in fact i would go with a HUGEEEEEEE kenya tree then frag it multiple times for a big big profit.....i think i even seen a guy selling these gorgeous rare frags for 1 cent(huh my computer doesnt have a cent sign.....cheap ba*tards) so theres def some mula to be made.....plus bragging rights of course:P

cheers:):)

reefermadness
02-14-2012, 12:16 PM
wow...that is quite the list. FYI the pink jade is not ORA. Its "tubbs" pink jade.

you should start a thread with pics. hard to even believe your going to fit all that in a 29g.

Aquattro
02-14-2012, 12:20 PM
These are my recent additions that may help also:

GARF Bonsai Garden Acro, Purple Bonsai Garden Acro, ORA Hawkins Blue Echinata, ORA Plum Crazy Acro, ORA Pearlberry Acro, ORA Purple Plasma Acro, ORA Red Planet Acro, ORA Pink Jade Acro, ORA Rose Millepora, ORA Green Velvet Acro, ORA Purple Stylo, Bali Green Slimer Acro, Aussie Strawberry Shortcake Acro, Shawn Bennet Yellow Tort, Marshall Island Tricolor Acro, True Blue Hoeksemai, Tyree Pink Lemonade, Deep Purple Valida Acro, Austera Acro, Hot Pink Stylo, Ponape Birdsnest, Birds of Paradise, Green Pocillopora Damicornis, Tyree Red Montipora Setosa

Clearly these are far too many for a 29g, and therefore you're going to have to frag fairly quickly, so in order to help out, you can add my name to the frags wanted list now. No, no, don't thank me!! :razz:

tang daddy
02-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Clearly these are far too many for a 29g, and therefore you're going to have to frag fairly quickly, so in order to help out, you can add my name to the frags wanted list now. No, no, don't thank me!! :razz:

Since these are all 1-3" frags and not colonies they fit in his 29g quite nicely and Reefie (Ken) has already promised me that once they are settled in encrusting and growing that he will hook me up with some frags. I am afraid that the rest of you will have to form a line behind me....:lol:

PMC
02-14-2012, 03:29 PM
I have frags of Red Planet and Neon Green Pectinia in my tank, and I would pick the Neon Green Pectinia every day of the week.

I do not get much, if any, florecents from the Red Planet, yet the Pectinia, glows and glows.

Nope I think if most people that like nice bright things under the moon. Would pick the Neon Green Pectinia, 100 times out of 100, over the Red Planet.

NU-2reef
02-14-2012, 04:38 PM
A strawberry fields acropora is one of my favorites. I got a small frag, but it's a frag :( can't wait till it grows out. Would make a nice centerpiece but getting a nice size piece might be tough