PDA

View Full Version : JBJ 28G Stocking list help

Blom
07-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Already having issues with a stocking list as the size of the tank is small. Would love to get some feedback from the vastly more knowledgeable on the forum. What I am currently thinking:

Fish/inverts:

2x Wyoming White clownfish (ocellaris)

1x green mandarinfish (Striped Mandarin) Question about this species, I have heard many call them a psychedelic but a book I have calls the psychedelic a "spotted mandarin" or Synchiropus picturatus where as I am interested in the Synchiropus splendidus. Any help on the topic would be great.

2x Scarlet Cleaner shrimp

Various snails, say 5 - 8 of them

2x Blue legged hermit

As I am typing this out it already seems like alot packed into the 28G, which I have to remember isnt really 28G as I believe 3 - 4 gallons is allocated for the rear filtration section.

As for corals I am pretty open on the topic to peoples views, im looking for hearty and simple for the most part. I was thinking zoas and some... there are lots that I really enjoy the looks of but based on the information I have in these books I am really limited by size. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I will spend the next several hours on Canreef and RC looking into what other keep on similar sized tanks. Thanks in advance for any help.

gobytron
07-29-2011, 05:57 PM
stock list looks good.
you will need to really be careful with your mandarin, as you'll have to add a fuge to that set up for adequate live foods for it or wait a year or so while your tank is established.

You can adversely train a mandarin to accept frozen foods, some specimens adapt quickly to this and some not at all.

I have certainly come across conflicting information on a number of fish from source to source.
Often, as more is learned about a species or it gains popularity in the hobby and more attention is given to them the common names will change.

Spotted mandarins have spots, the phsychedellic have well, phsycadellic patterns on them.

I have one of each.

as far as corals, there are many lps and softies that clowns are known to host in...toadstools come immediately to mind as does frogspawn.
just something to consider.

hope this was a little helpful.

fishytime
07-29-2011, 06:04 PM
28g is too small for any kind of a dragonet.....even with a fuge.......unless the fish is for sure eating a prepared food, IMHO........

since you have the top on the tank, think about a small blennie.....like a tailspot or barnacle.....great little fish with tons of pesonality.......or how bout a bluespot jawfish?.....

gobytron
07-29-2011, 06:16 PM
whats your experience with dragonettes?
I kept a male and female pair for over a year in a 12 gallon aquapod...
FYI - the hoods are very easy to mod for a small fuge...like a modded aquaclear.

I still have that same pair to this day.

The tank was established for a few years before I put them in, I also filled one of the rear sump compartments with live rock rubble so that pods could reproduce there without predation from the dragonettes.

neither of my fish were captive bred though both now accept pellets after around 4 years of living with me....they still dont care much for frozen.

Blom
07-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks Gobytron, Very helpful!! I was planning on adding a fuge, just debating if I was going to do it in the center filtration column in the back or a HOB model.

Thanks for clearing up the Mandarin question as well. It would be nice to see the clowns host, I love the idea of watching symbiotic relationships. I was originally planning on a BTA but may go the route you have mentioned. I was/am worried about the size that some of the softies can get to. Really want to make sure that everything is happy with life in the tank. Everything in this cube will be moved to a 180G within a year or so when I am able to set it up. Hopefully size wont be an issue till then.

gobytron
07-29-2011, 06:20 PM
I dont know that the stock biocube lights would be enough for a BTA...
the only reason I was suggesting softies/lps.

Blom
07-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Hey Doug, Thanks for the info. Correct me if I am wrong but is it the blennies that have the relationship with a few of the shrimp... or is that the gobies? I am thinking its the gobies.

Blom
07-29-2011, 06:23 PM
I dont know that the stock biocube lights would be enough for a BTA...
the only reason I was suggesting softies/lps.

Ahh I see. Even with the 150W HQI?

intarsiabox
07-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Hey Doug, Thanks for the info. Correct me if I am wrong but is it the blennies that have the relationship with a few of the shrimp... or is that the gobies? I am thinking its the gobies.

Certain gobies will pair up with shrimp. I have even seen them sold as pairs around town at LFS. You can also get a JBJ 28g LED set up that won't heat up the tank like a MH.

fishytime
07-29-2011, 07:54 PM
whats your experience with dragonettes?
I kept a male and female pair for over a year in a 12 gallon aquapod...

lets see.....I had a breeding pair in my 110g before and have a scooter blennie now.......Ive also worked at a LFS for the past four years so I have plenty of customers experiences to draw upon as well.......that coupled with the overwhelming information on the net stating that, though it can be done in a smaller tank, the success stories are few and far between......I congratulate you on your success.....your a better reefer than I:wink:

fishytime
07-29-2011, 07:58 PM

nope....gobies have that cool relationship with the shrimp.......blennies are the little algae munching dudes