PDA

View Full Version : Help with a sick fish

BMahura
07-29-2011, 01:46 AM
A couple days ago my lawnmower blenny started acting very strange. usually as soon as i walk up to my tank he come to the glass to check out whats going on. He has been really shy and hiding in behind my rock structure. It also appears that he is breathing heavily and his mouth is constantly open. I usually feed his a little nori once a week but since ive been knowtising these things i put it out every day for him and he seems to be eating it. Any advice or if anybody knows what this might me?
Thanks.

naesco
07-29-2011, 02:49 AM
A couple days ago my lawnmower blenny started acting very strange. usually as soon as i walk up to my tank he come to the glass to check out whats going on. He has been really shy and hiding in behind my rock structure. It also appears that he is breathing heavily and his mouth is constantly open. I usually feed his a little nori once a week but since ive been knowtising these things i put it out every day for him and he seems to be eating it. Any advice or if anybody knows what this might me?
Thanks.

In the wild these fish spend their whole life munching on the algae on the live rock.
Please feed him several times a day with nori enriched with selcon and garlic extract.
What other fish do you have, what are you feeding them and how often?

BMahura
07-29-2011, 03:15 AM
i have regular nori. will this do the trick?
my other fish are a yellow tang, hippo tang, pair of true perc clowns, bangaii cardinal and a yellow tail damsel. i feed mysis once a day.

naesco
07-29-2011, 04:45 AM
i have regular nori. will this do the trick?
my other fish are a yellow tang, hippo tang, pair of true perc clowns, bangaii cardinal and a yellow tail damsel. i feed mysis once a day.

The tangs should be plump looking when you view them from the eyes rearward. If not you are underfeeding them. The yellow needs nori daily and the hippo is a meat eater.
Regular unflavoured nori soaked in selcon (get it from an LFS) and garlic extreme. Overfeed until they get back into shape.

Wayne
07-29-2011, 04:52 AM
Definatly feed more! I can only assume you don't have an out of control green hair algea problem. There is a chance he may have an infection or parasites causing him to breath rapidly.... I am not a fish doctor though, someone with more knowledge should come on to help.

But are any other fish breathing heavily indicating low oxygenation?

BMahura
07-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Alright I'll fry feeding them mysis as well as nori for my tangs an blenny every day. I was thinking that I might be some type of infection. I've had him for 8 months and supplemented nori once every week and a half and he has been fine. All m other fish are doing great as I have tonns of suffrage movement for gas exchange.

MMAX
07-29-2011, 12:53 PM
I think you might be a little paranoid. I have a lawnmower blenny that used to hide at the slightest movement from outside the tank. He's better now that he's settled in and I have a few more fish in the tank. This guy's mouth is always open, he's a fat b*stard always looking for something to eat.

BMahura
07-29-2011, 01:44 PM
That could be it to. I just knowtised that his behavior was very strange and he didn't seem like himself at all

BMahura
07-29-2011, 11:44 PM
So I came home today to find my blenny dead on the sand bed:(. Such a great fish and I would love another one.

reef93
07-30-2011, 12:37 AM
My heart is broken everytime I know someone's fish died :sad:. Very sorry for your loss.