PDA

View Full Version : where do you stand on saving our reefs??? serious questions for you to ponder on:)

reefwars
07-27-2011, 11:44 PM
so here it is the dreaded questions thats been popping up here alot this week and like it or not everyones got a thought or an opinion, so i thought id create a spot to come discuss,argue,agree and debate and if anything create knowlege so people can understand more the thoughts we all have and choose their own place to stand on the topics.

1)so what do you think about our hobby and its impact on the natural reefs?
2)do you buy wildcaught if yes does it bother you?
3)what do you think we as hobbysts can do to protect or help our reefs??
4)do you see the hobby coming to an end??
5)do you support captive breeding??
6)what do you think the impact would be to the economy if collecting/harvesting were to stop??
7)do you think blackmarket or underground coral smuggling exist in our country??
8)do you think collecting and harvesting practises could be better?
9)would you not buy something because it came from the wild??
10)do you think the impact has bettered in the last ten yrs or gotten worse??
11)do you believe there should be animal laws regarding fish and tank sizes??
12)do you feel guilty for caging these little creatures?
13)whats your thoughts on species that dont do well and lfs bringing them in reguarily
14)would you buy something smuggled or not supposed to be in our country??
15)would you be willing to give up this hobby if you knew it would save the reefs and oceans of the world?

when answering please quote the question and then your response

id like to hear from every canreef member and find out where the majority stands

if there is a question youd like to see added to the list pls post it and i will add it to the list.

above all lets keep it civil and friendly

thanks

CandyCane
07-28-2011, 12:26 AM
I learned a lot from the small post I did and the debates it brought up so here's some answers on my opinion and what I learned from others.

I think people should be more aware of which corals and fish most likely shouldnt be in the stores or in our tanks do to the possibility of extinction or dificulty of care. If these kinds of things were more well known I'm sure our hobby could be benficial towards all natural reefs instead of negative

I most likely have a wildcaught yellow stripe maroon clownfish and if I'd been aware in the beginning when he was purchased I would not have bought it. However now that I have one I got it a RBTA so it would feel more at home in my tank. I'm proud of the little guy he hosted the anemone in my hand as I put it into my tank for the first time.

Ask our lfs stores about how long of a trip the fish had to take to get there. By making sure we buy fish that have been traveling at most around 24hrs the majority shipped won't have such a high death rate.

I can see natural coral reefs possibly coming to an end because of global warming, oil spills, and even things like sunscreen. I'm sure our hobby will stick around long after. Maybe one day we can contribute to restoring a coral reef.

Ya for sure! It furthers our knowledge of what each species needs in our tanks and diminishes the need for wildcaught fish

6)what do you think the impact would be to the economy if collecting/harvesting were to stop??
Many countries would get hit hard econimically and suffer, it would be a very difficult decision to just completely stop.

7)do you think blackmarket or underground coral smuggling exist in our country??
Ya for sure it does.

A complete ban of chemical fish harvesting and more protection and regulation laws on the collection of critters and live rock would be a great improvement

There is a high possibility that I wouldn't

It has gotten much better

I think that would be impossible but I know lfs's could regulate their fish sales by asking the buyer more questions about their tanks so fish losses decline and to be sure the tank is the right size for the fish and correct dificulty.

When I see a huge fish in a tiny tank that it can't even swim a full circle in I feel horrible for it. Or when the wrong fish are housed together to me is animal abuse

13)whats your thoughts on species that dont do well and lfs bringing them in reguarily
If a person really wants one and has done as much research as possible I believe they should have the right to order that single fish from an lfs but the lfs should not carry them regularly.

No I would not

turkleton
07-28-2011, 01:18 AM
1) What do you think about our hobby and its impact on the natural reefs?
I love this hobby. For me is a continual source of fascination and excitement and there is always something new to learn. I believe that at the moment the overall impact on natural reefs is negative, but still nothing when compared to many other factors including improperly controlled fisheries and commercial fishing practices, global warming and even just the pollution caused by every individual in any developed nation.

2) Do you buy wild caught if yes does it bother you?
Yes, since the variety of captive bred fish is still very small I don’t have much choice. No it does not bother me.

3) What do you think we as hobbyists can do to protect or help our reefs?
Raise awareness where possible; continue to educate ourselves about the livestock we keep and their status in the wild.

4) Do you see the hobby coming to an end?
Hopefully not. If anything we may get to the point where we are forced to rely solely on captive bred livestock, but I doubt it will end completely.

5) Do you support captive breeding?
Of course, it increases our knowledge of the animals we keep and reduces our impact on natural reefs.

6) What do you think the impact would be to the economy if collecting/harvesting were to stop?
The biggest impact would be seen at the collection/harvesting end the industry, where local economies benefit from the money brought in by sale of livestock. On the retail end, local businesses would suffer but ultimately the impact on the economy would be very minimal.

7) Do you think black-market or underground coral smuggling exist in our country?
Probably but I have never heard of it.

8) Do you think collecting and harvesting practices could be better?
Yes. Bans on cyanide and chemical fishing would be an improvement as would better regulation of how many of which species can be removed while maintaining sustainability.

9) Would you not buy something because it came from the wild?
I have no problems buying wild caught specimens as long as they appear to be in good health and I have done some research on their captive requirements.

10) Do you think the impact has bettered in the last ten years or gotten worse?
Still not fantastic, but much better.

11) Do you believe there should be animal laws regarding fish and tank sizes?
Absolutely not. It would be pretty much pointless since the logistics of enforcing such legislations are mind boggling. It would just end up wasting far too much time and money with no positive end result.

12) Do you feel guilty for caging these little creatures?
Only in situations where very large fish are kept in aquariums that are so small as noticeably hinder movement. If the livestock are in good health, are appropriately sized for the aquarium and the tank seems to be properly maintained then no, I do not feel guilty at all.

13) What are your thoughts on species that don’t do well and lfs bringing them in regularly?
If a species is known to do very poorly in captivity I don’t believe that they should be regularly stocked by a LFS. However if a person has done the research, can provide a suitable environment for the animal and the animal is not threatened in the wild then they should be available for special order.

14) Would you buy something smuggled or not supposed to be in our country?
This really depends on the animal in question, my own feelings and views regarding the animal and the reason(s) that it has been banned in my country. Under the perfect circumstances, heck yes.

dsaundry
07-28-2011, 01:41 AM
Interesting topic, I won't answer each question but respond this way. I would like to believe that most people are in general responsible for their tanks etc. But are you comparing it on a Canadian/North American base or worldwide? After seeing some of the pictures in the asian markets, you know the majority seem to be in it for just the money, while I am sure this isn't the case for everybody, when you see pictures of Fish Street I am willing to bet the fish are not taken care of like you or I might do in our tanks. Does anybody know what the mortality rate is on fish? Wild caught or captive bred? I am sure if you asked a supplier and got an honest answer you all might be either pleasantly surprised or shocked at the answer to that question. There is always going to be the person{s} that don't care what the cost or the impact to the species, and will do and spend anything to get it. Just look at the number of sharks being killed and dumped back into the ocean minus their fins, or the casualties of driftnets..where do you draw the line? The scientists are already predicting a virtually lifeless ocean in the "NEAR" future. So what do you do? Stop the hobby? Will that fix the ocean? How about a worldwide ban on fishing and capturing fish from the ocean for ..say..50yrs and see how stocks replenish themselves.. How would that be enforced?? As long as there is a person{s} that is willing to bend the rules or break them there will always be horror stories when it comes to life on this planet. Maybe the question should be..Are you willing to give up this hobby if you knew it would save the reefs and oceans of the world? Would you give up eating seafood?? Tough freaking questions...:neutral:

reefwars
07-28-2011, 01:47 AM
Are you willing to give up this hobby if you knew it would save the reefs and oceans of the world?

consider it added:)

intarsiabox
07-28-2011, 02:55 AM
above all lets keep it civil and friendly

Screw you, Denny! (Just kidding!)

I'm sure lots of people have lots of opinions and maybe we can all learn something new from this post. I have a question to pose however not sure how to word it in a short manner. "Science" says our modern day coral reefs will be all but gone in 50 years, would this still be happening if reef keepers never existed? Would it even slow the process down? This is tricky because I'm asking for opinions based on opinions from special interest groups mostly.

intarsiabox
07-28-2011, 03:26 AM
Minimal, especially compared to others sources of negative reef impact. We're reef keeps, we know reef keepers it seems to us like there is a lot of people in this hobby. Really it's quite small compared to most other hobbies.

I research a fish I want for compatibility and my ability to keep it healthy and when I see it available at a reputable store I get it. I don't ask if it's wild or not because the answer is usually wild.

Stop using laundry soap thats full of phosphates.

Nope.

Absolutely! But my reasons are somewhat selfish. Captive bred are usually hardier and have a much better survival rate so it costs less in the long run.

Here, very little. Small 3rd world island nations that rely on the reef trade for survival, huge!

Sure. If I lived in Hawaii I'd probably have a tank full of self caught livestock.

In some places sure, others places are well regulated and monitored.

Nope

Better

Nope, just like there is no minimum yard size for dog owners.

Only if I kill one.

This is the hobbiests fault. It is up to them to know the needs of an animal before buying. Lots of people can keep these animals successfully if they know how.

If I knew I could properly care for it then yes

15)would you be willing to give up this hobby if you knew it would save the reefs and oceans of the world?
Not after I've already spent a fortune in this hobby.

saltcreep
07-28-2011, 03:47 AM
This is a great thread and I feel that I will chime in with my thoughts. Just to give a little perspective, I am in the industry on the wholesale side. I have been through some of the trials and tribulations with respect to awareness and protection. There have been some major progress made since my early involvement. It needs to continue.

-It's getting better, however there is still a long way to go. I don't feel that the impact is as large as some of the other major environmental concerns (deforestation, climate change, food fishery, etc), but there is still an impact, even with the removal of a single organism.

-Sure do and will continue to do so.

- Be informed and vote with your wallet. That is the strongest statement you can make.

- No, however the hobby as you see it today may be radically different in the future. Environmental concerns will force changes to the industry in that the reefs will be seen as a precious resource. Some collection areas are beginning to clue in, but not quite enough yet.

- sure, why not. However, I will not support it to the point of excluding wild caught items. In some areas of the world, ornamental fish collecting is essentially the only industry available and it goes a long way to supporting villages.

- see six. This would be financially catastrophic to most of the collecting areas, especially at the local village level. Our economy would not suffer, but the degree to which the industry in Canada survives would be wholly dependant upon when such a ban were to be put in place. If it were sooner rather than later, the effects would be more severe. At present, there just isn't enough cultured product to support the industry as it is today.

- like it or not, it is alive and well. There aren't enough government resources to effectively oversee this industry. There never will be so it will continue.

- it can always be improved. There are still far too many areas and collectors that resort to improper collection methods. Again, government resources are tight in all areas so enforcement is at less than a bare minimum.

- depends on what it is. If it's an item that should have never been collected, then never.

- the impact has lessened, especially with respect to coral and rock harvesting.

- never going to happen

- only when I go diving.

- again vote with your wallet. If you don't buy that species or go further and don't support the LFS, they will eventually be forced to change.

- knowingly...never

-I'd be also giving up my livelihood. Ending this industry would only have a negligible impact on the reefs. There are many things that can be done in a sustainable manner. It comes down to will. I still feel that change can be positively affected by the consumer. You have the final say.

Bloodasp
07-28-2011, 12:57 PM
It will impact it some way for sure. But in a way it somehow opens a lot of eyes to what is out there, the beauty of it, and how sensitive these ecosystems are to changes.

Yes and no it does not bother me too much.

Educate yourself and share what you know.

No

Yes

Not much, too many resources abound that people can exploit that are worth more than the fish that can be collected.

Yes, there's smuggled stuff and blackmarket goods anywhere, i wouldn't be surprised if somebody somewhere is selling rare and exotic saltwater animals

Yes

Yes

Same as far as I can tell

Fish-yes. Endangered species should be left to breed.
Tank size- no. The bigger the tank the better it is for the inhabitants.

Not really

They should be more responsible for the creatures they bring in.

No

How?

ScubaSteve
07-28-2011, 07:11 PM
It certainly has an effect on reef populations, especially if done incorrectly. If we were to practice responsible collecting, however, it is actually possible to have a positive effect on reef populations, species richness and biodiversity (read up on ecological disturbance theory if you're curious). Current practices, unfortunately, decimate reefs.

If we were to look at our hobby through another lens, it may have both positive and negative social impacts. Reefs are very much "out of sight, out of mind" for most people. If more people are exposed to the hobby (whether by involvement or simply being shown) and they get that hands-on experience, it becomes much more real for them and they are more aware, even if only a bit more. Movies like "Finding Nemo" have made reef ecosystems more of an social topic (more so for younger generations). I know many people who were interested to learn more about reefs after that movie... but I also know equally as many who are the "OMG Look at that cute little Nemo-fish!" (For those people I just wanna... :2gunfire:), which I believe actually gives the hobby a bad social image (case in point: designer clownfish).

I try not to, unless something really epic comes up. 95% of my corals are from CanReef member frags. It does bother me when buying wild-caught.

Demand better collecting practices, encourage/demand mariculture and spread awareness to the uninitiated.

Certainly not but there are changes a comin'.

I have mixed feelings on this. I am 100% for captive breeding and believe it should be the way. HOWEVER, I'm not sure how I feel about "designer fish" like the ORA an Picasso clowns (though this isn't much different that guppy or dog breeding). I am DEFINITELY against those frigging Glo-fish that have been genetically modified to fluoresce.

Minimal. Marine trade is small beans compared to, well, pretty much every other industry. The aquarium industry would die, or take a major set-back.

Sure as heck it does. If our border was more open to the US so that we could get a hold of their livestock, it wouldn't be so bad. We lack the selection, diversity and quality of livestock (in very general terms) that the US does (though luckily we don't share the same stupidly inflated prices).

8)do you think collecting and harvesting practices could be better?
Certainly (as mentioned above). If we were to follow wild collection principles that we practice on land we could actually encourage species richness and diversity. Right now we collect in a manner similar to clear-cut logging. Clear-cutting is slowly giving way to more friendly logging practices where we selectively remove from very defined regions and alleviate species pressure.

Possibly, would be situation dependent.

I previously thought it had gotten worse until I read a few recent studies (2008-2010) that showed collection-related damage has actually gone down but collection is becoming more widespread.. so I'm gonna give this a "no change" overall.

Like in terms of the "Tang Police"? No, there is no actual evidence as to what-species-needs-to-be-in-what-size-tank, it is all purely anecdotal (like people saying that betta splendis can be kept in minimal water, as small as a cup, because they are used to this in nature... which is BS). So other than assigning arbitrary numbers, this rule is mostly useless. For many species, like tangs, the instant you put them into a tank. it is not enough water volume. I have seen many 180+ gallon tanks so packed full of live rock and coral that that tang in there would have more swimming volume in my 40 gallon. So really what good is it saying that those tangs can only go into 180+ gallon tanks?

Now, I'm not saying we should be shoehorning big species into small tanks. The opposite. I think people just need to be more aware of the species needs and behaviour and make the right decision as to whether or not they are capable of providing appropriate care. Most people are not honest and knowledgeable enough to make the right choice, unfortunately

Sometimes yes. For smaller species less so.

13)whats your thoughts on species that dont do well and lfs bringing them in regularly
I am a bit different than most people and I go to huge lengths to learn how to keep the difficult and not-understood species (currently working on a rare starfish). Now, I am not a publishing aquarist; my experiences will only be recorded anecdotal... but this is where this hobby has power over pure science studies: we have strength in numbers and hobby aquarists, like those here on CanReef, communicate far more regularly than scientists do (I'm a scientist, so I can say this with certainty).

Knowledge is incremental. Though for a while we may be unsuccessful at a certain species, enough us will start to have small successes that begin to build into a bigger and bigger knowledge-base and we will eventually be successful at a species. I can name TONS of species that we once said were impossible and people now keep them successfully (NPS is the current knowledge revolution happening). Now, if we could only pull our collective sh*t together, be supportive and discuss our past (though failed) experiences we could advance our knowledge of a species REALLY fast. Unfortunately this is not the case, especially around here, where if someone says "I want to try this hard species" or "I brought this home" they are lambasted, flamed, tarred-and-feathered and given another earful for good measure rather than someone saying "Well, you've bitten off more than you could chew on this one and you should be more responsible next time but here are my experiences or this is what I've heard".

Eventually, by better understanding the animals we keep and sharing those experiences, we could drastically reduce the number of fatalities.

Now, that being said, there are some species that simply cannot exist in small aquaria in the absence of their symbionts or preferred food source (or suitable substitute). These species should certainly be left alone. Critical reef species, like cleaner species, should be left on the reef and be aquacultured instead (if possible... gotta figure out HOW first).

I unfortunately have to say yes, depending on what it was. Endangered? Definitely not. Super cool SPS frag from someones tank? Ya, probably.

No, because this hobby is teaching me how I can save the reefs and oceans. In about 3 years when I finish my PhD I am going to change careers and focus on reef restoration as a career... a task which I will be doing through aquaculture.

gobytron
07-28-2011, 09:20 PM
guys, there will be no reefs at all by 2050....maybe 2100 if we're lucky.

Reefers will play almost no part in it's demise and if every one of us (not just canreef, I mean all of us) stopped this hobby today it would not change a thing.

ideals are nice, and they look great on paper or here on the 'net but the facts are the facts so keep all this nonsense up if it helps you sleep at night.

Just enjoy it while you can, in your living room or otherwise.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1360229/Coral-reefs-wiped-2050-new-report-warns.html

Just one very small example of what I mean, lots more rsearch all the time painting more and more dire pictures...

or for those of you who dont like to click links...an excerpt from www.treehugger.com
First the news was that if we don't change our habits around fishing, all the world's fisheries will be wiped out by 2050. Now, experts guess that if we don't significantly change our interaction with the ocean, coral reefs will be all but wiped out by that same time. J.E.N. Veron, former chief scientist of the Australian Institute of Marine Science, writes that human pollution of the water, as well as human-generated carbon dioxide emissions which are causing ocean acidification and rising ocean temperatures are rapidly killing off corals. He notes that without a radical change in our behaviors and priorities, we will be left with a bleak future for the oceans, and consequently, ourselves.

ScubaSteve
07-28-2011, 10:56 PM
guys, there will be no reefs at all by 2050....maybe 2100 if we're lucky.

Reefers will play almost no part in it's demise and if every one of us (not just canreef, I mean all of us) stopped this hobby today it would not change a thing.

ideals are nice, and they look great on paper or here on the 'net but the facts are the facts so keep all this nonsense up if it helps you sleep at night.

Just enjoy it while you can, in your living room or otherwise.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1360229/Coral-reefs-wiped-2050-new-report-warns.html

Just one very small example of what I mean, lots more rsearch all the time painting more and more dire pictures...

or for those of you who dont like to click links...an excerpt from www.treehugger.com
First the news was that if we don't change our habits around fishing, all the world's fisheries will be wiped out by 2050. Now, experts guess that if we don't significantly change our interaction with the ocean, coral reefs will be all but wiped out by that same time. J.E.N. Veron, former chief scientist of the Australian Institute of Marine Science, writes that human pollution of the water, as well as human-generated carbon dioxide emissions which are causing ocean acidification and rising ocean temperatures are rapidly killing off corals. He notes that without a radical change in our behaviors and priorities, we will be left with a bleak future for the oceans, and consequently, ourselves.

Ah yes, the good ol' alarmist articles. I have to ask: Have you actually read the original report that news article reports on (Reefs at Risk)? Or have you read more up to date "Reefs at Risk: Revisted? If you had, you'd know that the quotes in the news article are taken out of context. No where does the original document state that reefs will be obliterated by 2050, it only says that a greater percentage of reefs will be subjected to increased threat levels by 2050. Threats being: environmental pressures that can destabilize a reef system, not 'holy freaking crap the world is coming to an end'. And the document uses environmental models that are, in their best possible use, a shot in the dark (the atmospheric CO2 model they used has been criticized my many).

The original document is a review of current threat levels, identifies possible threats and addresses socio-economical impacts, and it should be taken as such. It is an excellent review and makes a strong argument for not f-ing up our reefs. They do provide a forecast of reef pressures but their forecasting methods are far from being robust. Here in Vancouver the average daily temperature over the month of July has gone up by 0.2C per day... so using their forecast method Vancouver, by the time next year, will be a balmy 92C. Gonna have a sweet suntan. The original document also does not account for externalities, natural weather patterns (which caused the major 1998 bleaching event that skewed their results), or take into account natural reef resilience.

Trying being less neative and try looking for positive news. Like how there there has been no significant change in the great barrier reef over 13 years (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3053361/) or that, despite poor ocean conditions and global warming, reefs are sprinting (in geological terms) toward the poles (http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2011/2010GL046474.shtml). Heck, the last one is a result of global warming.

None of this says that we aren't causing damage to our reefs and that we shouldn't be doing things better but, in response to this...

You might want to brush up on your facts before calling someone else 'nonsense' for asking some honest questions (or you can ignore them... you know, whatever helps you sleep at night). Knock off with the negative posts.

Sorry for the diatribe, Denny! Let's get back to the OP and have some good discussions!

Zoaelite
07-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Very well put as always Kevin, it's amazing how the "Facts" of a scientific article can be interpreted in which ever way the reader desires.

reefwars
07-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Sorry for the diatribe, Denny! Let's get back to the OP and have some good discussions!

hey thats the idea is to here both sides of the story and get opinions from everyone after all an opinion in a room to your self is just an opinion now speak that opinion out loud loud in a crowd then you almost always will have a discussion /debate and communication is where the learning begins:)

reefwars
07-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Very well put as always Kevin, it's amazing how the "Facts" of a scientific article can be interpreted in which ever way the reader desires.

agreed 100%...eyes of the beholder:)

kien
07-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Gobytron is completely wrong. Seriously, the reef isn't going to disappear in 2050. The world is going to end next year so we really only have 1 year left to enjoy the reefs.

ScubaSteve
07-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Gobytron is completely wrong. Seriously, the reef isn't going to disappear in 2050. The world is going to end next year so we really only have 1 year left to enjoy the reefs.

Are we talkin' zombie apocalypse or planet implosion?

Suddenly I don't feel so crazy for hoarding SPAM cans and cheetos packets for the past few years. Jokes on you guys. When you're eating brains, I'll be eating in style.

kien
07-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Are we talkin' zombie apocalypse or planet implosion?

Suddenly I don't feel so crazy for hoarding SPAM cans and cheetos packets for the past few years. Jokes on you guys. When you're eating brains, I'll be eating in style.

Sorry, the Mayans were not specific about how the world would end, just that it would!

I thought spam was made of brains?? Or am I confusing it with Soylent Green again?

Lampshade
07-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Keins right, December 2012 we all die, Myan calender ends, and more importantly, they even made movies about it. There will be zombies, earthquakes, wars, God's, Son's of God's, everything. But anyways.. here's my answers.

-the awareness this hobby has created has far surpassed any devestation people claim we have on the reefs. I don't think they should open up Hawaii for free picking, but that goes into that part of the awareness this hobby has created.

-I think everyone does unless you own a clownfish tank? Doesn't bother me that they are wildacught, If someone could breed tangs cheaper than wildcaught i'd be up for buying them, but until that happpens i think wildcaught is the only economical answer for now.

-Frags help out, not buying cyonide caught fish would too. I think we all try to avoid that anyways because of the high death rate.

-If anything the opposite. but i'm sure people said that about their pet boa's too.

-defintily, when's the last time you bought a wild budgie/cockatiel.

-Our economy? not much, I'm sure we would all find other things to waste money on. I might even get a real suntan instead of a 15K MH tan.

I'm sure there's some villages in indonesia/fiji that would have a rough few years ahead thoguh.

-Yes, both accidently (Coral from USA) and planned. I think that if someone was going to set up a very large tank with a very large amount of money, there would be options that may be available. Do i think people dress in all black ninja suits collecting coral at midnight to sell in back alley's? no

-Cyonide is one method that most people know about. It's like dropping a knockout bomb on the reef, without regulating the knockout... most fish don't live. Most of our coral/fish is collected from some farily poor contries from some fairly poor villages. I'm sure these fish have been through a lot more than we could imagine. They could be better, but any wild caught animal would probably be better off in the wild, right?

-I think we all have wild caught items in our tanks.

-Better, the impact of home aquariums is small, if people want to balme us for ruining the reefs that's ok with me if it gets people helping to save them.

-limits on tank sizes? no, generally if you own a 500+gallon reef, you are not going to bomb it and have everyting die. 50 people with 10 gallon reefs bomb them far more often.

If the question is fish size vs. tank size, ie. Tang Police. I don't think so, all these fish come from open ocean. anything under a 50000 gallon tank is technically "too small".

-No, I'm not caging them, i'm saving them from a reef full of predators.......

Sea Hares, everybody thinks they are miracle creatures, they die. Lots. i'm sure there's more rare ones out there that are the same(Batfish, moorish idols, etc).

-How good does it look? depends on why it's not supposed to be. If it's somthing that will take over local oceans, etc. then no. If it's endangered, no, i would not do that either. If someone missed out on making a few bucks off my purchase (I support LFS, there's many in between) then I'd have to see...(ever buy firecrackers? Think most peopell you buy frags from clain it on income taxs?)

If it would save them, yes. But honestly, I think it would do the opposite. myself, family and many people who come to see my tank had never really looked much at a reef tank before. Now that it's here, in only my small group of people, they have noticed how beautiful it is, and due to my constant talkig about it(obsesion :S) they know far more than they'd like to.