PDA

View Full Version : Sexy Shrimp

CandyCane
07-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Has anyone seen any sexy shrimp around calgary? Or have any they'd be willing to sell?

BMahura
07-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Pisces had some yesterday when I was their.

reefwars
07-27-2011, 07:41 PM
captive bred or wildcaught?? haha sorry but i had to hehe:):)

yellowworld
07-27-2011, 08:33 PM
^^^^^^ LMAO^^^^^^^^ sorry lisa :lol:

BMahura
07-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Haha i have no idea about the ones from Pisces.

CandyCane
07-27-2011, 10:50 PM
...Are shrimp really not breed in captivity yet? lol the breed like rabbits

reefwars
07-27-2011, 11:20 PM
...Are shrimp really not breed in captivity yet? lol the breed like rabbits

so do clownfish but the majority are wildcaught and a very large majority, see the problem is very few "hobbyst" have the means,knowlege and money to raise them. in the future the more hobbyst there are and the more accessible the knowlege and equipment become the more easier it will be to obtain them.as it stands now its just more convenient to order and buy wholesale when they offer arrive alive guarantees.keep in mind though that just because something is wildcaught doesnt mean its harming the reef, collectors are now taught differently then years ago and now are collecting in ways that dont harm the reefs like they use to.for instance they look for large colonies and break off only certain percentages so that the mother colony stays and grows where as before the whole colony would be taken, cyanide is now becoming a less popular way to catch fish and wholesalers are setting up grow farms to grow out the portions they take and then distribute from there.

kind of like the way tree harvesting was years ago we would go in and clear cut land while now we take and replant.

sure there are alot of bad apples that havent jumped on board yet but there are alot of good collectors too and this is an industry that provides jobs and food for alot of poor familys in some less fortunate countries then ours who dont have the readily accessible resources we do:)

certain species are restricted from being collected and certain amounts of quotas are dealt out every year to collectors.

not buying wildcaught isnt what saves the reefs, raising awareness of poor collecting habits is and its only a start.

its all about economy and money and always will be, if there wasnt anyone making a profit there wouldnt be those raising awareness and alot of what happens would go under the radar unoticed.

even the science that observes our reefs are paid for by hobbysts and governments alike in an effort to make money while keeping what we have after all.......

"no reef....no money"

reefwars
07-27-2011, 11:24 PM
sorry didnt mean to stray off your topic:):)

CandyCane
07-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Ya I agree with what you say for sure :) I understand all of that, glad you know so much about it too :biggrin: I had to do a tun of reading today to learn basically what you just said, plus extra.

I'm excited about them carying sexy shrimp, I've wanted a pair of them for a year now!

reefwars
07-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Ya I agree with what you say for sure :) I understand all of that, glad you know so much about it too :biggrin: I had to do a tun of reading today to learn basically what you just said, plus extra.

I'm excited about them carying sexy shrimp, I've wanted a pair of them for a year now!

i created a thread just now from the discussions that been happening i added alot of questions that people have been arguing over now for a long time, i think youll find alot of us stand in the same spot, we all love the reefs and want to see it grow for years and years to come.read the questions and post your thought for others to view....when one person speaks their mind its a form of knowlege when a debate happens from this knowlege its a form of progression.

CandyCane
07-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Sure which thread is it in?

reefwars
07-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Sure which thread is it in?

its titled saving our reefs youll see it im sure:):) cheers girl:)

CandyCane
07-28-2011, 12:28 AM
haha ya def wasnt hard to find. Posted my thoughts. Great thread and very good questions

doch
07-28-2011, 02:49 AM

Get more than 2. I had 7... they were one of my favorite things in the tank to watch. I'm down to 1 :(

CandyCane
07-28-2011, 04:45 AM
I've got a 20 gallon tank, would more than 2 be okay in that size?

doch
07-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Depends on what else you have. They're pretty easy in the bio load.