PDA

View Full Version : Skimmers ????

Doug
06-19-2002, 08:19 PM
Hey gang. Questions for ya, especially those that use large becketts. And better yet, any that have seen Euroreefs and large becketts.

As mentioned on Darrens thread, I have been thinking of purchasing a large becketts style skimmer, as I dont think my Euroreef can handle my system.

I also own a 5ft. tall 3in. body counter current. I was thinking of running it, in cojunction with my Euroreef. I have come by a large air pump to drive it.

So would you think those two models would do as good as a large beckett, or are they that much better for large systems. The beckett, with a Mag18, uses 145 watts. My Sedra, {Euroreef}, uses 55 watts, and the cc would use about 90 watts for the air pump and I assume about 15 for a Hagan 800 to feed it. Actually comes out to more than the Mag18 driving the beckett.

I also assume the air pump will sound about the same as the beckett sucking air and the Mag in the sump?

So whatcha think.

DJ88
06-19-2002, 09:36 PM
Doug,

If you were to go with a beckett one thing I woud recommmend. MAK4 all the way. Seriously. Lowest power consumption for a pressure rated pump out there. I ran mine with a MAK for a month or so and it kicks a$$. If I didn't have the ampmaster running it now the MAK is the way I would go. Hands down. Becketts definately work with brute force. They strip the water clean.

Tho, if I could I'd run a taller counter current skimmer, ie 5-6' high with a powerful air pump, I would. As long as the stones are replaced regularly they are awesome. Tho J&L has a venturi one that is 6' high and it kicks. They run it on the LR curing tanks. Something to be said about a long reaction chamber. That is where the becketts, unless you put the water level up high in a Bullet 3 or a custom built beckett, can't compete.

I can't say much about the Euroreefs tho. I wish I could help.

Just thought I would chime in where I can pass on a few tidbits. smile.gif

stephane
06-19-2002, 09:50 PM
Ho!!! catchi one here

I will give you MY OPINION

I have not try an euroreef but run a CC for a long time and have now upgrade it whith what is IMO the best skimmer on the market for pur skimming "areofoamer 830" mine is a copy

I tink that euroreef are very good skimmer and CC
are very good skimmer IF YOU HAVE THE MONSTER AIR PUMPS to run it so both will give you probably same result as a good becket

So IMO if you have the room for the cc and the euroreef and you dont want to put 1000$ on a becket and dont mind about changing air stone + clean it often because skimer clean skimme a way
better

If I was you I keep mine but knowing you I tink you will change it because IMO you want to play whith a becker and need a new toy :D

other ting to consider is the beckett design send me a photo I will try to evaluate it a bit because I have heard about Jayson skimmer but I have not seen them dont forget you need a WELL design beckett to knock the other puppy IMO not all beckett could do it ;)

See you

PS: send us the new skimmer pic asap when you get it :D

DJ88
06-19-2002, 10:08 PM
One thing that makes a skimmer IMO is a long reaction chamber. This is my dream skimmer. :D

http://www.marineecosystems.com/DryGoods/EquipmentImages/Fergy/FergySkimmerCustom.gif

Doug
06-19-2002, 10:14 PM
Hah, the two guys I was looking for. :D

A new toy, Stephane. I think your right. :D My Euroreef is the older F1 model. It has an 18 inch by 6 inch chamber and a large neck & cup. Same style they use now. But its driven with the largest needle wheel, the Sedra 5000. Serviced me well over the years. Pump is brand new. But as good as is, I dont think it can keep up alone. Believe me, if it did, I would not be going another route. No desire for either the airstone/airpump route or the large pump, air sukin, overflowing, dumping into a collection cup beckett. :D

The Euroreef is an quiet, non-obtrusive, fool proof, efficient skimmer. If I could afford it, I would be getting a large Euroreef, for sure. I would not drop a thousand on an Aerofoamer, it would be as above. Thats my view. smile.gif

However, that does not solve the problem. The one I am looking at, as you know, is very affordable. The design looks great and seem to run good, but who knows. I will see if I can get you a pic or not, or perhaps Jayson will read this. Thanks for the input Stephane, thats what I am looking for, as I know your expertise with the skimmer. The air pump I have is a Hagen pump called the The Pump Model 70. Its an older model, needs some diaphrams. Big baby though, and puts out some serious air. Got it from a guy running a bunch of tanks.

Darren, would the Mak 4 put out that much more than either or the MD3 pumps? I thought they were not pressure rated. So thats what your doing with the Ampmaster. :D Figured it was circulating the cube. :D

Doug
06-19-2002, 10:17 PM
Whoaa, thats a serious looking skimmer Darren. smile.gif

Jayson
06-19-2002, 11:08 PM
Doug, The skimmer's have an air silencer built into them so there are really quiet. I should have 5-6 of them on monday. If you want a taller model let me know I can have that done for you as well. It will be a lttle more than the $500.00 we talked about. I will try to have pics of it for you on Monday or Tuesday. I have been busy with the greenhouse. I hope to have it all done by friday! I am getting some crazy light numbers with my meter! Over 50,000 lux at water surface! The tanks have finished cycling and now I can just imagion the algae bloom that I am about to have! I just brought in 50 lbs of caulerpera and 1000 snails today to help with what I know will happen. Let me know if you are going to come by next week.

Doug
06-19-2002, 11:25 PM
Hi Jayson, Thanks for the input. Its appreciated. I know its hard to answer, when one has a stake in it, and also cant be commercial. Sounds like those sky lights are letting in some good light.

DJ88
06-20-2002, 12:01 AM
Doug,

It is a serious skimmer isn't it?

My one belief in skimming is contact time. The bigger the reaction chamber and contact time the bettter. Another option for increasing contact time is giving it a swirling motion as it climbs.

I did this with a HOT-1 clone I made once. It worked much better due to the longer contact time IME. aka Aerofoamer.

Now put the aerofoamer action on a taaaaall skimmer body and we are set!!! :D

If I ever get into a house and go for a large tank I'll be making something like that. Bullet 3's are my fav's just due to the larger riser column.

Did you ever see Fudge's skimmer off his LR curing operation? Now that is a skimmer.

The MAK4 will push 1000GPH at 5' of head. 1190 at 0'. Awesome pumps.. Pressure rated. One of the best pumps going IMO. Next to sheer gallons of the Ampmaster that is. ;)

I figure I have about 1/2 the output to the tank. or a bit less. the rest goes to the skimmer to drive it.

stephane
06-20-2002, 12:16 AM
As for the 1000$ better spend on a euroreef I tink you are absolutly right If I have 1000$-1500$ to spend on a skimmer this is the one I buy http://www.euro-reef.com/CS12-2%20Mod001.jpg Model CS12-1 Skimmer w/2x SEDRA
I heard Jeff exotic copy the euroreef for cheaper to.

The Hagen pump that you have is a very good pump
Those are some of the best pumps on the market the drawback is they are expensive. But if you
have one why dont you try I tink a CC drive by a
pumps like these will perform as well as a becket

But on the other hand a becket for less than 600$ is very good if he is well design they are good an need less maintenance + :D They are great toy to play!
I just love mine :D

I tink you probably have seen this one already but just in case http://www.thereefweb.com/skimmer_comparison.htm

Jason why dont you send pic of the skimmer I would love to see the puppy :D Dont worry I will not copy it only currious

stephane
06-20-2002, 12:29 AM
your right on Darren swirl make a huge difference on skimmer I dont understant why no one than areofoamer and bullet xl only utilize this. It give a 24' tall skimmer a very good contact time +
it is the simplest modification to made on a skimmer

DJ88
06-20-2002, 01:14 AM
You are right Stephane. If I could get my hands inside my bullet 3, I'd figure out a way to change that so I had that swirling action.

Doug
06-20-2002, 10:29 AM
Thats the baby I was talking about Stephane. :D Would be my choice also. Just to many bucks for us here in Canada. The one problem I may have with the air pump, is finding new diaphrams. I was told the Model 80 parts fit. I heard the pumps were expensive new.

When I bought the skimmer I tried it with a TetraTec 96-2 Deep Water, one of the best of the smaller pumps. Even though the skimmer has only a 3 inch body, the pump could not drive it enough. With all the posts on RC about cc skimmers, it seems like an absolute need, to have a huge air pump, like you have mentioned, to drive these correct. Up until I found this one, the expense made it not a worthwhile proposition as compared with other skimmers.

My skimmer is one of the units built by Rons Saltwater Heaven. I bought it from Rich Duraso, ironically, when he switched to a large beckett. smile.gif But he drove it with the above TetraTec pump.

Darren, I have heard of Marc,s skimmer but but not seen it.

One reason I would like a beckett, is then I can be the judge of comparing it to my Euroreef. :D Thats the way it should be done. :D Expensive test though.

titus
06-21-2002, 01:01 PM
Hello,

Never ran any CC skimmer but I do believe they are good. With Becketts, even with the Ampmaster 3000 pumping all water into it, it looks like it good use more. Um.... You can build a zig zag piping system inbetween the Beckett and the skimmer body for extra long contact time. Just make sure it's a large diameter pipe you are using.

Titus

stephane
06-21-2002, 01:34 PM
Do you talk about this systeme Titus It look very promising IMO

recirculation Becket skimmer Hooow! this skimmer look as good as your avatar titus!

http://precisionmarine.com/Bullet_Skimmers/Bullet-1/Install1/Install2/Recirculating_Skimmer/BLT43med.JPG

Here is how they work

http://members.aol.com/wlmorey/images/beckett.jpg

DJ88
06-21-2002, 02:29 PM
Doug,

Here is Marcs Quad.

http://www.shadetree.homestead.com/files/marcquadskimmer.jpg

Titus,

I think Contact time is what you are referring to. I am doing this by running the water level in my bullet about 3" below the collection cup right now. Gives loads more contact time. Next to bubble size it is the most important part of a skimmer. IMO

Doug
06-21-2002, 03:16 PM
Hmmmm,Stephane, although the skimmer pic is a beaut, I think its loses when compared with the lovely lady. :D :D :D :D

Darren, thats a honkin skimmer. Wholly mackeral!! Whats he skimming? Thats must be a commercial operation or an absolute passion for the hobby. Beycha it would take care of my two piddley tanks. smile.gif

[ 21 June 2002, 11:18: Message edited by: Doug ]

stephane
06-21-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by DJ88:
Doug,

I am doing this by running the water level in my bullet about 3" below the collection cup right now. Gives loads more contact timeIMO<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I do the exact same ting + it keep the skimmer more clean so he work better, But watch out for the overflow I dont have any stop hight level collection cup only a bucket but I put the bucket
on the sump so in case of overflow he do it in the sump

DJ88
06-21-2002, 03:33 PM
Doug,

Here is what that skimmer was on. Since then it is working on a LR curing system.

Marc's fun page (http://www.shadetree.homestead.com/Fudge.html)

Stephane,

I have a waste collector with auto shut off. No floods or messes. :D

Doug
06-21-2002, 07:23 PM
:eek: and I thought mine were to much :eek: