PDA

View Full Version : any carpenters here?

Maverick00
07-27-2011, 04:03 AM
Im attempting to build a stand for my 45 gallon. I have a game plan on constructing it out of 2x4's, trim, plywood. Im unsure of what type of wood to use or would be the best to use? I plan on staining the stand once all is complete. any input would really help out, ive walked through the aisles at home depot multiple times now picking at my chin.

BMahura
07-27-2011, 04:27 AM
I just rebuilt my stand using inch think tongue and grove ceder wood and it looks great. You can probably buy it at rona or home depot. Thats the right material to use though. when you get your plywood its better to get the 3/4 inch just to add that extra stability. I can post a picture of the stand i just built if your looking for any ideas. As well the ceder wood that i got is perfect for staining and is a great colour as it is. Am working on staining a couple peices for the edges to make the stand complete

Maverick00
07-27-2011, 04:53 AM
I would love to see some pictures BMahura. I was thinking of using something like 3/8 plywood minimum. Cedar itself comes out stained pretty nice from what i recall.

BMahura
07-27-2011, 05:14 AM
I would love to see some pictures BMahura. I was thinking of using something like 3/8 plywood minimum. Cedar itself comes out stained pretty nice from what i recall.

Alright well tomorrow after work I'll make sure to post some pictures. In my experience it's not worth cheeping out to get material especially when it's supporting a couple hundred pounds. I don't know if you plan on coming to Calgary but I have tons of extra cedar tongue and grove from a job-site that I was working at.

monocus
07-27-2011, 05:45 AM
i built mine out of spruce 2x4 and put a skin (1/8) mahogany around it.i made my doors out of 1x4 and 1x6 meranti with ribbon mahogany fronts.base for the sump is 1/2 inch plywood covered in suprema mastic(blue skin).mahogany pillars to hold up my canopy(and hide the return lines) and the canopy out of maple surounded by mahogany skin-holds my 220 no problem.studs are at 16 inch centers.you dont need heavy plywood skins,its the framework that holds your tank

Aquattro
07-27-2011, 02:31 PM
A good solid 2x4 frame holds the weight, the skin keeps it from shifting laterally, any thickness is fine, although I find 1/2" easy to work with and cheap. I used Oak as it's gotta look good in the livingroom, and it's not that much more money over pine. Given the cost of the entire setup, spending an extra 40 bucks for a nice skin isn't much.