PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing

DCDN
07-27-2011, 03:30 AM
So I just drilled my 12X12X12 cube and now I'm thinking of plumbing. I'm not sure if I should go with PVC plumbing or flexible tubing. I'm just wondering if there are any recomendations.

doch
07-27-2011, 03:35 AM
Pvc is the better, more permanent, properly finished way to go. Flex will get the job done, and certainly has some advantages, as in you don't need to be precise with it... There's room for mistakes.

intarsiabox
07-27-2011, 03:43 AM
I've used both and while flex pvc has its place I prefer the ridgid PVC pipe. My advice is to use lots of unions so you can remove plumbing, pumps, etc very easily when you have to. And make sure you leave enough room in your sump that you can pull the plug on the returm pump and the amount of water that flows from the DT to the sump until it stops on its own shouldn't over flow your sump.

abcha0s
07-27-2011, 03:47 AM
Use a length of Flex PVC if you are connecting to a pump. It helps to reduce vibrations.

FYI - Western Pump sells a flexible PVC. Lowes sells SpaFlex which I find easier to work with.

- Brad

fishytime
07-27-2011, 04:17 AM
I feel the opposite way:fencing:...... I use flex where ever I can......every 90 or 45 degree fitting, every union, every ball valve, every check valve is gonna cause a reduction in the flow in your return lines and a potential for things to get caught in your drain lines.... and as Brad said, if you have your return pump hard plumbed to a bulkhead , the constant vibration, over time, could fatigue the bulkhead hole, causing it to crack......never mind the Murphy's law factor of the potential to accidentally bump anything that is hard plumbed to a bulkhead and cause a crack in that way......