PDA

View Full Version : Do People Name Their Fish?

intarsiabox
07-27-2011, 12:39 AM
My 4 year old daughter asked me what the names of my fish are. I started telling her what type of fish they were but she said she didn't care what they are just their names. I didn't have an answer so I let her name them. Is it odd that I have had the same fish for years and never named them? My girls think so!

mark
07-27-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm not even sure to refer to them as he's/she's or just it.

eli@fijireefrock.com
07-27-2011, 12:47 AM
Don' feel bad.
I never named any of my fish and I kept saltwater for years, although my kids when young they named all fish I had and each had a favorite fish.

Milad
07-27-2011, 01:06 AM
I've named every one of my fish after someone I know.

For instance, I have a small cinnamon clown I bought and it reminded me of this short girl i knew named jayme. So I named the fish Jayme. Well I also bought a larger clown that has gotten nice a plump. Well since Jayme always hangs with tricia I called the larger one Tricia. Well Tricia clown is really mean to me and bites me when I put my hand in the tank and she thinks she owns everything, similar to the real Tricia.

My purple tang is a flashy, expensive fish that is always like "mememememe" when i show up and try to take all the attention and thinks its the most beautiful fish in the tank so I named her after my X GF Jenna.

intarsiabox
07-27-2011, 01:09 AM
I've named every one of my fish after someone I know.

For instance, I have a small cinnamon clown I bought and it reminded me of this short girl i knew named jayme. So I named the fish Jayme. Well I also bought a larger clown that has gotten nice a plump. Well since Jayme always hangs with tricia I called the larger one Tricia. Well Tricia clown is really mean to me and bites me when I put my hand in the tank and she thinks she owns everything, similar to the real Tricia.

My purple tang is a flashy, expensive fish that is always like "mememememe" when i show up and try to take all the attention and thinks its the most beautiful fish in the tank so I named her after my X GF Jenna.

:lol:

Flash
07-27-2011, 01:11 AM
my mom and best friend tend to name the fish in my tanks... I don't

MKLKT
07-27-2011, 01:11 AM
I don't name my fish but I have family members who have tried. I just don't see them that way, they have a lot of personality but I enjoy them from a more scientific background I suppose.

Zoaelite
07-27-2011, 02:03 AM
I've stopped letting my friends name the fish after my Bangii was named "Stealth fighter" and the hawk fish was refereed to as the "pixie kawkfish":neutral:.

I have named one of my tangs, hes grown from about 2.5" to over 8" and made it through 3 upgrades. I feel a little crazy saying he's loved like a dog but I'm going to do it anyways, dam this fish has some personality.

Flash Gordon:
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4617/mg9616.jpg (http://img163.imageshack.us/i/mg9616.jpg/)

Marie on here has a beautiful Achilles tang name Doofus, it's nice to give them a reference other than "____ tang", adds to the personalty of a tank.

untamed
07-27-2011, 02:10 AM
All my fish have names... Most of them seem to be with me for a long time, so that seems fine.

mike31154
07-27-2011, 02:18 AM
Haven't named them all but since my Maroon Clown female is such a voracious eater, I often refer to her as Miss Piggy. I used to keep a Lawnmower Blenny but they kept kicking the bucket in various ways so no longer have one. Three tries was enough, first fell victim to powerhead, second went carpet surfing, third stopped eating for no apparent reason & starved. In any case, I'd call them Homer due to the goofy open mouthed look they have when perched somewhere looking around.

BMahura
07-27-2011, 02:33 AM
I've stopped letting my friends name the fish after my Bangii was named "Stealth fighter" and the hawk fish was refereed to as the "pixie kawkfish":neutral:.

I have named one of my tangs, hes grown from about 2.5" to over 8" and made it through 3 upgrades. I feel a little crazy saying he's loved like a dog but I'm going to do it anyways, dam this fish has some personality.

Flash Gordon:
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4617/mg9616.jpg (http://img163.imageshack.us/i/mg9616.jpg/)

Marie on here has a beautiful Achilles tang name Doofus, it's nice to give them a reference other than "____ tang", adds to the personalty of a tank.

Haha i love the names

Lance
07-27-2011, 02:51 AM
All my fish have names except for the Chromis, because I started with thirteen of them and they all look the same. I guess i could have named them all Daryl.

fishytime
07-27-2011, 03:06 AM
Just one fish has a name in my tank.......my chevron tang is named Chevy(only because "Bubba" was taken by someone else on the board).....oh and I use an acronym for my tail spot blenny....TSB

reefwars
07-27-2011, 03:11 AM
i named my clown ..nemo.....like it?? i came up with that all by myself with absolutely no reference to nothing else i swear(patented and copyrighted by me):):):)

in all honesty i named my yellow tailed chromis yellowbeard:)

intarsiabox
07-27-2011, 03:13 AM
i named my clown ..nemo.....like it?? i came up with that all by myself with absolutely no reference to nothing else i swear(patented and copyrighted by me):):):)

in all honesty i named my yellow tailed chromis yellowbeard:)

I'm just not that imaginative, I guess I'll just let the kids name the fish.:razz:

abcha0s
07-27-2011, 03:41 AM
Just for fun...

2x clowns - Coral and Marlin
2x Indigo Dottybacks - The Bobo brothers
2x Mandarins - Mandy and Mo
Sailfin Tang - Zigby
PB Tang - Polly
Purple Tang - Oscar "the grouch"
Hippo Tang - Dori
Yellow Tang - Yellow Fish or "Lello Fish"
2x Fire Shrimp - Arthur and Francine
Metallic Fox Face - Roger
2x Flame Wrasses - Romeo and Juliet

I haven't named my Anthias or some of my other wrasses.

I had a Tuxedo Urchin named Uri, but he's not with me anymore :(

- Brad

naesco
07-27-2011, 03:58 AM
My 4 year old daughter asked me what the names of my fish are. I started telling her what type of fish they were but she said she didn't care what they are just their names. I didn't have an answer so I let her name them. Is it odd that I have had the same fish for years and never named them? My girls think so!

I don't think it is odd though it is probably relatively rare that a reefer would keep the same fish for years whithout ever having named them.

Sometime it takes children to remind us all of the little things that are important in life, eh!

intarsiabox
07-27-2011, 04:07 AM
I don't think it is odd though it is probably relatively rare that a reefer would keep the same fish for years whithout ever having named them.

Sometime it takes children to remind us all of the little things that are important in life, eh!

Ain't that the truth! Everything is new to them and they see stuff that is just taken for granted in our every day lives and doesn't really get noticed. Oh, and ratting out daddy to mommy is also a fun game at our house.

fishoholic
07-27-2011, 01:29 PM
When my nieces and nephew were younger they named all my fish although I never remembered what they were. I called my regal tang Dori (couldn't help myself it just seemed right) and I named my yellow frogfish that I had bumble bee. My Fu man chu lionfish is named fireflight and while my cow fish reminds me of r2d2 I call him Herman. Probably because he looks monsterish and I liked the character Herman munster from the old tv show the Munsters.

None of my other fish have names other then my king angel who gets called stupid king, big meanie or jerk a lot.

lorenz0
07-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Only 2 fish in my tank really have a name. I named my yellow tang twitch cause he twitches every once in a while and he also battles himself with the glass doing his tail swipe motions. Than I named my first first george, the yellow watchmans goby. He always looks upset like george from seinfeild.

love them, and I am going to be sad once my yellow tang gets re-homed

beefORchicken
07-27-2011, 05:04 PM
i've named my fish after famous musicians. now naming coral is another thing haha i'd like to know if someone does that.

Steve'o
07-27-2011, 05:09 PM
I have a Yellow Tang -named Tweety
Steve'o

shootingstar
07-27-2011, 11:36 PM
I don't really name my fish. Since my kids are grown and gone sometimes kids that come to visit give them names, but they have forgotten them by the next time they visit and they all get new names.

The only one I planned to name once I got it was the Lion, I waited so long for one and he was going to be the centre of attention (ha ha)....his name was going to be a-whem-a-way...

After carefully aclimating him, immediately upon release he ate a 25.00 shrimp. Seriously I don't even eat 25 bucks worth of shrimp in one sitting!

His name became.....$hit-head right then and there.

Wayne
07-29-2011, 03:54 AM
The only one I planned to name once I got it was the Lion, I waited so long for one and he was going to be the centre of attention (ha ha)....his name was going to be a-whem-a-way...

After carefully aclimating him, immediately upon release he ate a 25.00 shrimp. Seriously I don't even eat 25 bucks worth of shrimp in one sitting!

His name became.....$hit-head right then and there.

I hate to laugh at that misfortune but thats kinda funny ;)

I have 12 fish and they all have names except for two chromis's. Some named by friends, some from previous owners, but mostly by my wife :)

MarkoD
07-29-2011, 04:20 AM
i dont name my fish but i think i might now that they've settled in and stopped getting sick.

but i think real crazy is when you see a lady (most of the time a lady) at the fish store looking at the fish and talking to them as if they can hear and understand

intarsiabox
07-29-2011, 05:37 AM
i dont name my fish but i think i might now that they've settled in and stopped getting sick.

but i think real crazy is when you see a lady (most of the time a lady) at the fish store looking at the fish and talking to them as if they can hear and understand

I see that everyday as well, unfortunately it's in my own home.:redface:

Spyd
07-29-2011, 12:57 PM
None of my fish have names except for my Powder Brown Tang. My wife really wanted it so we bought one and she named it "Spaz" since it swims around the tank like a maniac all day long.