PDA

View Full Version : T5 LED Question

lapdog2020
07-26-2011, 06:49 PM
What would you say if you could retro fit your t5 HO fixture to a t5 LED fixture. say for the cost of 1850.00 and never have to change a bulb for at least 10 years or longer. Also having the ability to dim the lights at 20% at a time to creat dusk to dawn for your reef. There is a new product in the works right now. What do you think? You can do it your self or have it installed by someone else. Give me your feed back.

Vitaminz
07-26-2011, 07:35 PM
It sounds interesting....would need to see some spec and par readings and of course some pictures. What type of LED are they? What size of tubes for the $1800... What colour temperatures? Individual lenses? What is different about these compared to what is out on the market right now for LED's?

Just a few questions that came to mind, I am sure there are alot more that I can't think of right now.

Be interesting to see a cost comparison between the different type of lights out there (T5HO, MH, MH & T5...ect)

I assume this is a retro fit of your current T5 lights, but is there an option for the whole kit with the metal fixture?

phi delt reefer
07-26-2011, 07:40 PM
not all t5 fixtures are easily retro-fitable (probably not a word)

I am assuming you have a linear bulb that fits in the t5 sockets (similar to what orphek tried but abandoned)

the problem was that you had to disconnect the ballasts and run a dedicated power supply which was no longer convenient.

at $1800 you could buy a brand new fixture. Possibly a couple depending on the model.

we need more info :)

gobytron
07-26-2011, 07:58 PM
agreed.
1800 is pretty steep for what's available now.

a year ago I could not have said this.