PDA

View Full Version : Curly Que Anemone

littleboyblue16
01-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Anyone know about a Curly Que Anemones? my moms friend wants to give me one but i want to learn about it first....

martym
01-26-2004, 01:25 AM
here, check this out
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=23&pCatId=1703

Quinn
01-26-2004, 01:30 AM
Bartholomea annulata, an Atlantic anemone. Won't host clownfish but will host some types of shrimps, including some of the fairly available Periclimenes sp. and Alpheus sp. Some consider it to be a pest, as it may sting and eat fish, etc. There is not a lot of information out there other than from the online retailers (I checked some academic journal databases).

I would be careful with it. Maybe ask James at AI what he knows about it.

littleboyblue16
01-26-2004, 02:17 AM
thanks for all the information its well usefull, its a really nice Anemone but it eats fish, but is it saying that it acully can grab a fish from my fishtank, or just eats fish as like dead fish?

Quinn
01-26-2004, 02:24 AM
That would imply stinging a live healthy fish to death and then eating it.

littleboyblue16
01-26-2004, 03:30 AM
:'( awww my poor fish if i was to get him

mutabaruka
01-26-2004, 04:41 AM
I have had a curlycue in my tank for over a year. It has yet to eat anything live, except for a xenia frag that fell in front of it. I am not sure it ate it or if it just stung it. In any case, my children love feeding the anemone chunks of scallop and other fish. It inflates to triple it's size the day after it eats as if it's happy and bloated! It is a beautiful addition to the tank.

littleboyblue16
01-26-2004, 05:00 AM
think i should take the risk? i really don't have fish except my scooter bleenie and my firefish goby and my seahorse

Quinn
01-26-2004, 05:18 AM
I'd be willing to bet the seahorse would be a goner and you better watch out because once Bev finds out you're considering putting that anemone with a horse you'll be a goner as well. :lol: Honestly, I wouldn't do it. You already know seahorses should be kept in a species tank. Don't tempt fate.

littleboyblue16
01-26-2004, 06:15 AM
haha yeah true, but i also can set up my 10gal i have for the Anemone as well hmmm what an idea too hehe

Namscam
01-26-2004, 06:29 AM
you know, its not just the curly cue that ll eat fishes....all cnidarians are carnivores so they ll eat anything that is not a plant....even btas or rotteris will eat your fishes...as long as you feed it good, they ll have no need to create much cnidocytes to sting your fishes...an example: compare the anemones in your tank with the ones in the wild...the wild ones will have more cnidocytes than the ones in the tank....y? because they are not being fed on a regular basis....so inconclusion, if you feed it good, it ll have no need to create as much cnidocytes to sting your fishes...but remember they ll eat anything that touches them....

littleboyblue16
01-26-2004, 06:56 AM
hmmm scary thats for sure, darn things, they make me wanna cry....

Beverly
01-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Definitely don't keep ANY anemones with SHs :eek:

Quinn
01-26-2004, 05:14 PM
you know, its not just the curly cue that ll eat fishes....all cnidarians are carnivores so they ll eat anything that is not a plant....even btas or rotteris will eat your fishes...

:rolleyes: Although I have no hard empirical data on livestock consumption by anemones in captivity, I don't think it's safe to compare this animal to the more docile (not sure if that is really a fitting term) anemones. Many individuals keep M. doreensis, E. quadricolor and H. magnifica without ever loosing a fish, and some do not feed said anemones (including myself, as my M. doreensis refuses to eat). Many anemones will eat weak animals (some focus on this food source even in the wild), however healthy animals generally are able to avoid these types of anemones with weaker stings. Stichodactyla sp., Condylactis sp., etc. anemones are a different story, and there are a number of reports on the larger forums of these animals consuming healthy fish.

Regardless, keeping seahorses with any anemone is foolish.

For what it's worth, the phylum Cnidaria includes all manner of corals, jellies, hydroids as well as anemones - all types of stinging-celled animal. Obviously, a Montipora sp. isn't going to eat a seahorse, alive, weak, or dead.

littleboyblue16
01-26-2004, 07:13 PM
yeah well i plann on putting this guy in another fishtank not the one the sea horse is in

AJ_77
01-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Matt, please don't put an anemone in a 10gal tank.

OK? Wait until your 3rd (and larger) tank is a year old or better, and you have the experience under your belt to do a good job with the more difficult species.

:confused:

littleboyblue16
01-26-2004, 10:50 PM
k....