PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Does my Clown have ich?

windcoast reefs
07-24-2011, 01:22 AM
My clown has been looking pretty sick the last week. I thought it was from my cyano problem which I am treating, but today I say some white spots.
If this is ich what is the simplest way to treat it?

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=567&pictureid=4550

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=567&pictureid=4549

Sorry the pics aren't very good.

reefwars
07-24-2011, 03:12 AM
sure looks like it..what are you treating for cyano??

any other fish in the system?? showing signs as well??

new tank or new fish???

clowns are fairly hardy and big eaters i would move him to a qt and get him going on hyposalinity with garlic soaked foods, you wont need a big tank and its fairly easy and cheap to do,but needs to be done right ,google hyposalinity and ask if theres any questions. .ich is in your tank anyways so you may want to consider going fishless untill its gone unless your tank is mature or very very healthy and good water.not something to be taken for granted if your unsure about it or do not understand it.

intarsiabox
07-24-2011, 05:41 AM
I just had to move my nano tank do to a move. All the fish and rock went into totes and the tank water into 5 gallon pails. Everything survived but the next day my fish all had a few white spots on them. Two days later after they settled in the spots were gone. It could just be the redslime treatment is stressing them out but if the tank is otherwise healthy then they should be fine in a few days.

windcoast reefs
07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
sure looks like it..what are you treating for cyano??

any other fish in the system?? showing signs as well??

new tank or new fish???

clowns are fairly hardy and big eaters i would move him to a qt and get him going on hyposalinity with garlic soaked foods, you wont need a big tank and its fairly easy and cheap to do,but needs to be done right ,google hyposalinity and ask if theres any questions. .ich is in your tank anyways so you may want to consider going fishless untill its gone unless your tank is mature or very very healthy and good water.not something to be taken for granted if your unsure about it or do not understand it.

No all the other fish are eating like pigs and very healthy with no signs of stress. The tank is around 2 month old but all the water and live rock came from an existing tank I had. This fish was added around 3 weeks ago or so.
I just bought a new tank to do the hypo salinity treatment in so hopefully that works!

reefwars
07-24-2011, 09:30 PM
No all the other fish are eating like pigs and very healthy with no signs of stress. The tank is around 2 month old but all the water and live rock came from an existing tank I had. This fish was added around 3 weeks ago or so.
I just bought a new tank to do the hypo salinity treatment in so hopefully that works!

how many fish do you have?? you may want to consider doing a hyposalinity with them all if theres only a few and leaving your tank fishless to guarantee the ich is gone.if not after the hypo adding the small clown back could result in him just getting it again.i know they are looking healthy now but its a possibility and then you would have to treat the clown or another fish again if it gets bad enough.now that you have a qt tank be sure to qt all fish too make sure they are healthy and eating lots.

good luck and any questions with the hypo feel free to ask away:):)

fishytime
07-25-2011, 12:58 AM
hate to be the bearer of bad news but your little clown looks very thin and from the one picture it looks like he may have an internal parasite(white stringy poop)....it is likely that the ich is a result from being stressed from the internal parasites........I, like Denny, also wonder how many fish are in this two month old tank?

reefwars
07-25-2011, 01:19 AM
hate to be the bearer of bad news but your little clown looks very thin and from the one picture it looks like he may have an internal parasite(white stringy poop)....it is likely that the ich is a result from being stressed from the internal parasites........I, like Denny, also wonder how many fish are in this two month old tank?

yeah new tanks even if it is with existing lr need time to mature it just cant be thrown together, and if theres lots of fish all at once then the balance isnt there and your fish will be the ones to feel the blows.

a good practise is to treat for parasites and do a hyposalinity with all new specimens.

im more of a coral fan and since i rarely buy fish anymore i never deal with illnesses i find people who buy too many fish in to short a time are the ones who get ich and other parasites.

patience is the key if you plan on having a system for years then whats the rush on getting lots of fish right away:):)

(not saying you have too many fish just throwing out some advice for any new people reading)

another thing to remember is to buy fat and fast moving fish get the ones that are eager for food friendly to see you and have lots of color never buy on impulse unless your sure of what your getting:):) most lfs will hold a fish for you if your the least bit unsure:)

windcoast reefs
07-25-2011, 07:21 AM

Okay well the clown is gone, I came home today and he was dead. So currently I have 4 fish in my system. They are all fish that I had in a pre existing system that I switched from, as well as all the sand, live rock and the coral. There is one pygme angel, another clown, a bangia cardinal and a cleaner wrasse.

windcoast reefs
07-25-2011, 07:25 AM
yeah new tanks even if it is with existing lr need time to mature it just cant be thrown together, and if theres lots of fish all at once then the balance isnt there and your fish will be the ones to feel the blows.

a good practise is to treat for parasites and do a hyposalinity with all new specimens.

im more of a coral fan and since i rarely buy fish anymore i never deal with illnesses i find people who buy too many fish in to short a time are the ones who get ich and other parasites.

patience is the key if you plan on having a system for years then whats the rush on getting lots of fish right away:):)

(not saying you have too many fish just throwing out some advice for any new people reading)

another thing to remember is to buy fat and fast moving fish get the ones that are eager for food friendly to see you and have lots of color never buy on impulse unless your sure of what your getting:):) most lfs will hold a fish for you if your the least bit unsure:)

Like I said above I didn't really have a choice about putting the fish in right away, I moved them from one system to another. It was either put them all in the new tank or get rid of them.

windcoast reefs
07-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Oh and I messed up with the time line, it was actually set up in end of April.

reefwars
07-25-2011, 10:03 AM
pygmy angel eh prob some bullying happening there prob why clown is so skinny and got ich those little angels can be quite mean:)