PDA

View Full Version : Kole and Naso QT Help

Reef23
07-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Hey all,
I went to have a peak at a yellow eyed kole tang (3.5") today and confirmed he was fat and healthy. I setup my 15G QT tank before I left. I will be picking him up next week as I will be out of town for the next few days. Problem is I fell in love with a blonde naso tang (2.5") while i was there as well. Im in the process of upgrading from my current 75G to a custom miracles 145G. I was going to QT the tang for 3/4 wks(new tank will be plumbed in the next few weeks). I know the naso will out grow my tank but I have plenty of friends with large tanks that will be happy to take him as soon as I notice stress or aggression. My problem is how can I QT both of these guys ? Will they both be ok in a 15G QT tank ? Do you guys normally treat a fish with medication even if there is no sign of illness ? What medicine if so ?
Thanks

George
07-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Hey all,
I went to have a peak at a yellow eyed kole tang (3.5") today and confirmed he was fat and healthy. I setup my 15G QT tank before I left. I will be picking him up next week as I will be out of town for the next few days. Problem is I fell in love with a blonde naso tang (2.5") while i was there as well. Im in the process of upgrading from my current 75G to a custom miracles 145G. I was going to QT the tang for 3/4 wks(new tank will be plumbed in the next few weeks). I know the naso will out grow my tank but I have plenty of friends with large tanks that will be happy to take him as soon as I notice stress or aggression. My problem is how can I QT both of these guys ? Will they both be ok in a 15G QT tank ? Do you guys normally treat a fish with medication even if there is no sign of illness ? What medicine if so ?
Thanks

A 15 G is probably small for both tangs as a QT tank. You want to reduce stress as much as possible in the QT tank. 2 tangs in a small tank will bump into each other very often. I would suggest you pick one tang for now. Beside, neither of these fish is rare in any means. After QT the first fish, you can start to hunt for your second fish.
Prophylactic treatment is a personal choice really. For tangs, other than ich, they don't normally carry internal parasites and such. I would just treat with hypo or copper.
If you choose to do prophylactic treatment, prazi-pro is good for fluke and worms.

Reef23
07-23-2011, 12:38 AM
A 15 G is probably small for both tangs as a QT tank. You want to reduce stress as much as possible in the QT tank. 2 tangs in a small tank will bump into each other very often. I would suggest you pick one tang for now. Beside, neither of these fish is rare in any means. After QT the first fish, you can start to hunt for your second fish.
Prophylactic treatment is a personal choice really. For tangs, other than ich, they don't normally carry internal parasites and such. I would just treat with hypo or copper.
If you choose to do prophylactic treatment, prazi-pro is good for fluke and worms.

Ok so if I just get the blonde naso and put him in QT do I treat with copper no matter what or only if I notice any issues over time ?

Ryan7
07-23-2011, 03:18 AM
Try to get the tang eating bofore adding any treatments. If he is eating and has no signs of illness for 2 weeks, then I would not treat the water with anything, don't keep the fish in the QT for longer then 2 weeks, if he is healthy. Feed with selcon and garlic soaked foods.

daniella3d
07-24-2011, 02:11 AM
15 gallons is too small to host both of these fish for that long. I would get a 30 gallons at least and you can always resell it. You can even buy it used from kijiji so that when you resell it you won't lose much money.

15 gallons is a disaster waiting to happen. Keep the fish in quarantine for at least 4 weeks as marine velvet can very well pop out after 3 weeks and wack everything in your aquarium.

Hey all,
Thanks

Reef23
07-24-2011, 02:40 AM
I have decided to just get one. The LFS is getting another hawaii shipment in this week so Im going to stop by next weekend and pick up either the kole or blonde naso. I will QT him for 4wks

Ryan7
07-25-2011, 07:09 PM
I would not recommend a tang in a QT tank that size for 4 weeks. If the fish is eating and has no signs of illness, add to your tank after 2 weeks. Add a piece of LR to the QT, one covered in algae if possible.

reefwars
07-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Ok so if I just get the blonde naso and put him in QT do I treat with copper no matter what or only if I notice any issues over time ?

dont treat with copper at all unless youve done it before or understand it if not done right its often more deadly then it cures.hyposalinity will get you the same results without damaging the fish.do a hyposalinity regardless if you think it is sick or not it will guarantee your nopt bringing ich into your tank.

feed the fish with a varied diet soaked in garlic extract.

try not to freak the fish out and avoid hands in tank you can make friends with him once in the display.

when you bring up the salinity it has to be done very slowly.

do as daniella said and buy yourself a 30g or larger you wont need to resell it if you plan on buying large fish in the future.

Reef23
07-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks everyone I like the sounds of the hyposalinity treatment over medicine any day. Anyone have a good link to the proper procedure for hyposalinity treatment ? Also everyone is saying soak food in garlic. Where do I get this garlic? LFS or grocery store ?

Doug
07-25-2011, 10:22 PM
So you think 30g is needed just quarantine a baby tang. I would say fine if you have one but a standard 20g would suffice also. Wholley crap, we are talking a couple in. long here people. I,m all for tangs having a very large tank for swimming but just for this purpose.

A standard 55g would be best, again if one is sitting around. Why stop at a standard 30g long.

A friend had a baby Regal about 3in. long. He was so sick with ick, it was almost time to put it from its misery. I took the fish back to my place and put him in a 5g tank with lots of hidey pipes, good flow and a good power filter.

Treated him with a copper based medicine and lowered salinity. Fed him spirolina flakes soaked in garlic and Boyds Vita Chem. I think thats what it was called. He/she spent several months in that tank.

Today, 10yrs, later that Regal rules a friends 180g tank.

This of course would be for a single baby, in the 2in. to 3in. range. I dont disagree the larger tank is better but other options would still work. I also agree with someone that posted 4 weeks is a long time if its a healthy tang, showing no signs of disease.

To answer your question, that was just store bought garlic capsules. I also believe they now make garlic specific for fish purpose. I just lowered the salinity over a few days. Dont recall how low but not the extremes some use. I think from my tank waters of 1.025 down to about 1.012----1.015 range. I can remember articles on it but not sure where. Perhaps have a look in our reference library or the Advanced Aquarists Online mag. They may have an old article on it.

You could also put it on the search engine here or Reef Central and see what pops up.