PDA

View Full Version : Question about live rock....

The Grizz
07-22-2011, 03:08 AM
I have a bunch of rock that I had to take out of one of my tanks & didn't have what I needed to cook it again. What I was thinking is........would it be safe to take 1 or 2 rocks at a time & put them in my sump of my 165 gal? How long would / should I leave them in there before moving them to a different tank.

Madreefer
07-22-2011, 03:29 AM
Nothing wrong with your plan at all. I have did the same with no problems. I added a new rock every couple of weeks until it was all in.

reefwars
07-22-2011, 03:34 AM
exactly, if your system is established enough it should be able to handle small doese of amonia or dieoff easily enough its when you overload the balance it becomes a problem.kinda like adding 2 fish at a time:)

The Grizz
07-22-2011, 03:34 AM
Did you leave it in or move it to another tank eventually?

The Grizz
07-22-2011, 03:39 AM
exactly, if your system is established enough it should be able to handle small doese of amonia or dieoff easily enough its when you overload the balance it becomes a problem.kinda like adding 2 fish at a time:)

Well as my ticker below states 15 months running. My goal is to some what re cure the rock so I can put it into a different tank that I just got running and have some really nice SPS frags & colonies in.

reefwars
07-22-2011, 03:42 AM
Well as my ticker below states 15 months running. My goal is to some what re cure the rock so I can put it into a different tank that I just got running and have some really nice SPS frags & colonies in.

play it by ear if you add a small amount and see no change in anything then its safe to say you could add that small amount into the tank right away using your 165 is a good idea as it will cure the rock quicker.as your keep changing it add some back to the sump kinda like the circle of life lol.your system is def mature enough to handle it and it shouldnt have to stay in for long id say few days tops.

The Grizz
07-22-2011, 03:48 AM
play it by ear if you add a small amount and see no change in anything then its safe to say you could add that small amount into the tank right away using your 165 is a good idea as it will cure the rock quicker.as your keep changing it add some back to the sump kinda like the circle of life lol.your system is def mature enough to handle it and it shouldnt have to stay in for long id say few days tops.

I have a bunch of rock in there now, some Marco Rock that has been in there for about 4 months that I will move to my frag tank and move some of my dried rock into it place. Im running pellets, carbon & a big a$$ skimmer plus got a big WC barrel now too.