PDA

View Full Version : Who has a SWC 160 Cone or Skimz Kone SK181?

Myka
07-21-2011, 02:16 AM
Can anyone explain the large cost difference between these two skimmers that seem to be fairly comparable? Anyone have any comparison reviews? It sounds like the Skimz pump is a better pump, but $225 difference...? Hmmm...

This skimmer would be replacing the EuroReef RS-180 that is currently employed on my ~100 gallon reef. The ER performs well, but is very noisy and likes to overflow.

Skimz Kone SK181
Skimmer pump: 1 Skimz ES2000 needlewheel
Power consumption: 12W
Air intake: 540 l/h
Rated: 50-200 gallons
Price: $500 (I think??)

SWC 160 Cone
Skimmer pump: Atman 2500
Power consumption: 27W
Air intake: 650 l/h
Rated: 100-150 gallons
Price: $275

I would prefer the SWC 180 Cone, but it has a Sicce pump on it which I refuse to buy. Anyone know of a replacement pump for the SWC 180 Cone?

Skimmerking
07-21-2011, 03:35 AM
Mindy i will chime in here for a little help.

Cone 160 excellent little skimmer built like a Tank.

The sicci pump 2500 POS pump IME. i have owned 4 of them all POS.

The Skimz skimmer after what i have seen with Doug's Its a POS the 161 not built very good. If you want to know the truth about skimmer's hey ask me i will tell you striaght up.

for you the cone 160 is a good skimmer i heard that jayson is running another pump on the 180 now. I emailed him asking him to throw on the bubble blaster pump to the 180 cone now you have a beast.

dreef
07-21-2011, 03:42 AM
SWC 160 Cone for me mindy..doesn't break the bank and i've had mine for almost a year.I'm still amazed on how much crap this little work horse pulls out.And against there suggestion only took it apart twice and cleaned the pump,hasn't skipped a beat :)

Myka
07-21-2011, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the info guys! dreef, what other skimmers are you familiar with?

i heard that jayson is running another pump on the 180 now. I emailed him asking him to throw on the bubble blaster pump to the 180 cone now you have a beast.

Ya Jayson told me "they" are trying a new pump out, but wouldn't tell me which one. He did say it would be quite awhile before they decide on a new pump. So I don't think I can wait. Maybe I should just go with the SWC then, I'm really happy with the one I already have.

dreef
07-21-2011, 04:29 AM
dreef, what other skimmers are you familiar with?

Its shroom Mindy ..you know me :) I ran a euro 135 RS before,like you said noisy.What my euro use to pull out in a week,i can get with the cone in 3 days.LUV it,and quiet and a joy to tear apart and clean.

Myka
07-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Hahaha, oops forgot you're "shroom"! Why you gotta be all confusing like that? :lol: Thanks for the info!

shootingstar
07-21-2011, 04:21 PM
For what it's worth I was in exactly the same boat as you. Wanted the 180 but bought the 160 just to get the atman pump.

Have owned it for 5 month's, the atman quit for the third time this past weekend and is now in a box on it's way bag to winter-peg.

Not overly impressed with the atman and at this point can't imagine how the sicce could have been worse.

Myka
07-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Hmmm...that sucks. It is the same Atman you have been fighting with this whole time or you have had 3 fail? How do they fail?

shootingstar
07-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Yes it is all the same atman pump. It quit for the third time. I would only define it as "fail" this third time because I simply could not get it running again.
All 3 were failed re-starts after power loss or even a power flicker.

I do love the performance and it is very quiet.....all wonderful....

just needs a better pump IMHO

Myka
07-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Those are the exact same problems the Sicce pump has! I haven't heard of other people having this trouble with the Atman, maybe you just got a bogus pump from the get go? I have had a 120 Cone (on nano) with the smaller Atman 1100 pump on it for about 6 months, and I haven't had any restart issues with it at all. Actually no complaints at all about the skimmer, which is why I want a bigger one for my reef.

FWIW, in my research I have been hearing if a person puts the AquaMaxx Large Red Devil Needle Wheel on the Sicce 2500 pump that it restarts with no issues. I'm going to continue this research, and it if is consistent then I will just buy the SWC 180 Cone.

http://c1.f3images.com/IMD/250/UJ1313/AquaMaxx-Large-Red-Devil-Needle-Wheel-for-Sicce-PSK-2500-Skimmer-Pump-1.jpg

Smudge
07-21-2011, 05:45 PM
I am running the SWC mini S with the Sicce 2500 with no start up issues since new (8 months). The skimmer came with the white lightning pinwheel and the standard one. I have been using the white lightning one.

globaldesigns
07-21-2011, 05:53 PM
I have the SWC 160... running with my Hydor 1000. The SWC is a nice skimmer, pulls good skimmate. I am on my second pump though, first one gave out and blew my GFC's... Jayson in Winnipeg replaced it under warranty and the second pump is running just fine.

The only complaint I have is that if the power goes out, or you unplug it, then when powering back up, it won't restart. I have to blow into the air tube to force the restart. No biggie, unless power goes out and I am not there, then most likely it will blow up!

lastlight
07-21-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm excited to read about this blowing air method. My sump is tight as heck and I have to disconnect the pump from the base of my 160, skewer the needlewheel and re-attach the pump. Mine is not a cone but came with the psk pump. I hate the thing!

Myka
07-21-2011, 06:20 PM
I am running the SWC mini S with the Sicce 2500 with no start up issues since new (8 months). The skimmer came with the white lightning pinwheel and the standard one. I have been using the white lightning one.

Ah, this is good to know!

I have the SWC 160... running with my Hydor 1000. The SWC is a nice skimmer, pulls good skimmate. I am on my second pump though, first one gave out and blew my GFC's... Jayson in Winnipeg replaced it under warranty and the second pump is running just fine.

The only complaint I have is that if the power goes out, or you unplug it, then when powering back up, it won't restart. I have to blow into the air tube to force the restart. No biggie, unless power goes out and I am not there, then most likely it will blow up!

Restart issues with the Sicce are pretty typical from reviews I have read. Try the Aquamaxx needle wheel! I have seen many websites selling the Aquamaxx along with the pump.

I'm excited to read about this blowing air method. My sump is tight as heck and I have to disconnect the pump from the base of my 160, skewer the needlewheel and re-attach the pump. Mine is not a cone but came with the psk pump. I hate the thing!

Try the Aquamaxx? Do a Google on it...getting good reviews once the needle wheel is switched out.

phi delt reefer
07-21-2011, 06:37 PM
i always wanted to see if you could swap out the atman for a different pump (Aquabee or better yet an eheim)

Doug
07-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Never had a problem with the Attman on my 160. Runs smooth as silk. Never cavitated or failed to restart. Besides for the price, easily replaced if there was a problem.

phi delt reefer
07-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Never had a problem with the Attman on my 160. Runs smooth as silk. Never cavitated or failed to restart. Besides for the price, easily replaced if there was a problem.

160 uses the atman 1100 if i remember correctly. Issue resides in the atman 2500 pumps. but like you said, they are cheap so its not a big deal.

The Grizz
07-21-2011, 11:24 PM

That's good to hear Doug since it is now in my FOWLR :biggrin:. I really love how quite it is & was real easy to dial in.

Myka
07-21-2011, 11:35 PM
160 uses the atman 1100 if i remember correctly. Issue resides in the atman 2500 pumps. but like you said, they are cheap so its not a big deal.

The SWC 150 & 160 Cones use the Atman 2500. The SWC 120 Cone uses the Atman 1100. The SWC 180 Cone uses the Sicce 2500.

phi delt reefer
07-21-2011, 11:51 PM
touché...

Doug
07-22-2011, 12:09 AM
That's good to hear Doug since it is now in my FOWLR :biggrin:. I really love how quite it is & was real easy to dial in.

Excellent Greg. Yes agreed, very easy to adjust.

Skimmerking
07-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Excellent Greg. Yes agreed, very easy to adjust.
that wasa great little skimmer the day i down grade is the day i will get another one of the 160's

wait ME down grade HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

The Grizz
07-22-2011, 12:20 AM
that wasa great little skimmer the day i down grade is the day i will get another one of the 160's

wait ME down grade HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Hahahahahahaha.....if your like me Mike it will only get bigger, 8'er upgrade come this fall here.:biggrin:

Skimmerking
07-22-2011, 12:28 AM
im looking at a 16 footer if I get my way to the new house we built
2 x 8 footer together for the total length of swimming room 16 feet. its will have a wood divider to cover up the seam in the middle

Myka
07-23-2011, 01:05 AM
I just ordered the SWC 180 Cone. I have a Red Devil wheel coming from The Reef Shoppe too. If it works as well as the SWC 120 Cone I will be a happy customer! =]

Skimmerking
07-23-2011, 02:40 AM
I just ordered the SWC 180 Cone. I have a Red Devil wheel coming from The Reef Shoppe too. If it works as well as the SWC 120 Cone I will be a happy customer! =]

yeeeeehawwwwww i was going to suggest that you put a bubble blaster 700 on that skimmer and that will make some bubbles for ya

phi delt reefer
07-23-2011, 02:57 AM
asmodeus - you gotta help me dial in my skimmer man! I keep getting a medium tea - but no thick dark stuff - still quite watery. i have the swc150bmk

Skimmerking
07-23-2011, 03:05 AM
asmodeus - you gotta help me dial in my skimmer man! I keep getting a medium tea - but no thick dark stuff - still quite watery. i have the swc150bmk

text me man 204-573-8021

Myka
07-25-2011, 02:50 AM
yeeeeehawwwwww i was going to suggest that you put a bubble blaster 700 on that skimmer and that will make some bubbles for ya

Right on! If the Sicce craps out on me I will buy a Bubble Blaster for it, heck I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on one regardless. :D

The SWC 180 Cone is backordered for 3 weeks. :(

viperfish
07-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Wise choice on the SWC. I'm running the 230 cone and I couldn't be happier. These things are definitely built to last. I also hear the service is excellent, but I'm glad to say I haven't had to find out first hand.