PDA

View Full Version : Catching fish??

BMahura
07-20-2011, 01:49 AM
Any advice on catching fish in an established tank??

daniella3d
07-20-2011, 01:52 AM
I know of 2 possibilities, one is to use a fish trap, the second is using a small red LED pocket lamp and shut down any light in the room, then use a red LED light and the fish is supposed not to be able to see it but you can see enough to catch it. Of course that does not work if it hides in the liverock.

Some people even do the fishing hook. I tried it but never had a small enough hook.

Any advice on catching fish in an established tank??

Wingin It
07-20-2011, 01:53 AM
try at feeding time...if you can hand feed with one hand and scoop with the other...they never see it coming, unless you've tried so many times that they know better ;)

BMahura
07-20-2011, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the advice. i managed to put a little brine in my net and the damsel went for it that i needed to get out.

Proteus
07-20-2011, 07:28 PM
I made a net out of plastic chicken mesh and two poles. I put the barrier in tank one end against glass the other against rock then feed a little. When fish swims close to net I bring far pole in so he's against glass and then put proper net in and scoop

Also tied a silver side to a piece of line when grouper took it I hauled him out into net.

asylumdown
07-20-2011, 07:38 PM
I have made traps by cutting the top off of a 750ml pop bottle then inverting the top back in to the bottle and taping it together. Then I don't feed the tank in the morning and by evening time I put some mysis shrimpin the bottle and sink it. You can make the opening as big as you need depending on the fish you're trying to catch

That kind of trap is excellent for catching cryptic fish that hang out near the rocks, but it does require some patience.

untamed
07-21-2011, 02:22 AM
When I had to catch Freckles (who might be 18"...), I used an old plastic bag from a salt bucket. I used John Guest tubing around the opening to hold it open and by pulling the ends of the tubing, the bag would shut.

My wife scared him with a stick so that he swam into the bag. Once in the bag, things got wet because the bag was too large and heavy to lift full of water. Draining out a lot of the water caused...well...violent thrashing about. It all worked out in the end though.

Myka
07-21-2011, 02:30 AM
Fish trap, or a fishing rod. The fish will heal from the hook, just press the barbs in before you use it.

Reef Pilot
07-21-2011, 04:12 PM
I have used a fish trap, and it works, with some time and patience. But have found an easier method. I started feeding with a net in the water. After feeding would just remove the net. The fish of course at first were afraid of it. But soon they started swimming in front of it, and after a while totally ignored it. Then when I had the fish I wanted to catch in position, I just scooped it out. Used this method a couple times now, and works really well.

MKLKT
07-21-2011, 05:17 PM
I have used a fish trap, and it works, with some time and patience. But have found an easier method. I started feeding with a net in the water. After feeding would just remove the net. The fish of course at first were afraid of it. But soon they started swimming in front of it, and after a while totally ignored it. Then when I had the fish I wanted to catch in position, I just scooped it out. Used this method a couple times now, and works really well.

That's what I do the few times I've had to catch a resident. Of course when I'm only feeding them I end up catching fish in the 1/2 cup measuring scoop I use, go figure.