PDA

View Full Version : Closed loop up n going..

DJ88
06-13-2002, 08:12 PM
Almost done now. smile.gif Man is the circ in my tank ever awesome now. smile.gif Happy as my clams are. :D

http://members.shaw.ca/dj88/pix/clsd_loop1.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/dj88/pix/clsd_loop2.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/dj88/pix/clsd_loop3.jpg

Troy F
06-13-2002, 08:16 PM
Hey, when did you get your seaswirl working? Next time I get hurt I'm coming to your place for a jacuzzi ;) .

DJ88
06-13-2002, 08:21 PM
Just hooked it up in the last hour Troy. smile.gif

One prob I have found with the Jacuzzi. ;) Seems I have a small pinhole somewhere in one of my two return lines. If I open er up(so to speak) get tons of micro bubbles. :( I know which line so I have to find the sucker now. So as of right now it's one return at probably 1200GPH or so, the fuge return and the MAG 7 closed loop. Still it's damned nice.

fishnut
06-14-2002, 02:41 AM
What exactly is a closed loop, and what is it used for ?

stephane
06-15-2002, 11:16 AM
look this one http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88688&highlight=closed+loop

Troy F
06-15-2002, 02:23 PM
I don't know if that thread will help or hinder the understanding of the subject. Very frustrating to see an argument start about the use of a name.

DJ88
06-15-2002, 02:30 PM
Fishnut,

A closed loop is where you have a pump drawing water out of the main tank then immediately returning it into the tank without passing through a sump. It is primarily used to increase circulation in a system without the need for a higher capacity overflow and return pump for the sump.

stephane
06-15-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Troy F:
I don't know if that thread will help or hinder the understanding of the subject. Very frustrating to see an argument start about the use of a name.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree!
Sorry to show How can some reefer could loose there time reply some stupidity and fight for notting! but anyway there a good description of how it work.

Im so habit to see those kind of childhood then most of the time I dont even take attention to it
Fishnut you will not only learn how to maintain reef on those board but how could some be so ....... ;)

reefburnaby
06-15-2002, 11:24 PM
Hi,

Maybe I can help with an explaination....

When we siphon water from the tank, gravity propels the water. As long as the source water is higher than the destination, gravity will pull the water down. Even if the tubing has to rise two feet to clear the tank wall, as long as the source and destination height is different...it will siphon. The greater the distance between the two, the faster the water will flow (until piping losses overtake).

In a regular sump pump, the water is flowing in the opposite dirction (we are pumping from a low hight to a high height). We have to pump against gravity and piping losses.

In a closed loop, both siphon action and regular sump action occurs. Since the gravity is helping, the sump pump doesn't have to work as hard. Theoretically, the sump pump would only need to compensate for losses in the piping and bends. Gravity power from the siphon action should have enough power to push the water back up to the tank. Since losses are generally 0 to 3 feet of equivalent head, the sump pump gph will be very fast. This is quite interesting if your tank and sump are 20 feet (in height) from each other -- You would either need a massive pressure pump for a convential or a Ampmaster or Mag for a close loop system. Closed loop has been used in commercial systems like Lifegard and canister filters.

Hopefully it isn't too complicated. I hope that helps explain things.

- Victor.

[ 15 June 2002, 19:26: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

fishnut
06-16-2002, 01:38 AM
Darren and Victor:

I appreciate the explanations - tks.

fishnut

titus
06-21-2002, 08:19 AM
Hello Victor and Darren,

I'm sorry. But is there a pole/zero plot for this open loop thingy? If I remember correctly, the poles can't be on the left side of the complex plane. :D

Titus

reefburnaby
06-21-2002, 12:38 PM
Hi,

Left side of a complex plane ? Eh...you mean right side plane...right ?

- Victor.

titus
06-21-2002, 12:51 PM
Hello,

Maybe. I forgot. Oh no.

Titus