PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Captive Bred Mandarins?

doch
07-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Anybody know where to get a CB mandarin or 2? Also, anybody have one or more and how is it going with them?

phi delt reefer
07-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Anybody know where to get a CB mandarin or 2? Also, anybody have one or more and how is it going with them?

i've heard the ORA ones dont do that well and some wont eat anything but pods once they get home.

if you have time just take a read online as to training your own mandarin. All you need is a little breeder box and some patience for a few weeks. I remember their being a guy on nano-reef that had trained quite a few of them without any failures. The key is to mix the mysis/brine shrimp in with pods daily and slowly start reducing the number of pods in each feeding.

hey if you get good at it then you can probably sell em for $100 a pop or more.

gobytron
07-19-2011, 03:21 PM
who would pay 100$ for a mandarin?
I have a pair of them that eat pellets...lol
I think I paid 14$ each or something.

mike31154
07-19-2011, 04:22 PM
I have two males in my 77 g sumpless. No clue whether they are captive bred, but guessing not. First male has been in there for about 4 years (juvi when purchased), second probably year and a half, also juvenile. Thought the second was a female but got it wrong. Couldn't catch either one after second introduced so I was concerned for the life of #2. So far it's going fine with the odd skirmish when they catch sight of each other, but #2 generally knows when it's time to leave Dodge and stay out of harm's way. If I can ever get hold of either one, I'll have one for sale!

#1 started taking Cyclopeeze granules and small pellets off the substrate pretty much of his own accord. I haven't witnessed #2 take any dry food yet, but he's faring well finding live food by the looks of it. Both appear well fed & healthy. I allow the back glass to get quite overgrown with coralline and even.. gasp.. hair algae. This harbours extra pods & I regularly see both mandarins grazing those areas. I also have a fairly deep sand bed and observe them taking live food from there. Since I'm running sumpless, I also have a wad of Chaeto suspended from an acrylic rig on the back rim of my display. This also appears to be an effective refuge for pods etc. So probably not what many would consider an attractive display, but I don't mind & as long as it keeps the critters fed, I'm good. Some day I'll have a basement sump and cleaner display.

phi delt reefer
07-19-2011, 05:06 PM
who would pay 100$ for a mandarin?
I have a pair of them that eat pellets...lol
I think I paid 14$ each or something.

ora captive breds target mandarins are $100.

i dont think they are worth a $100 but people seem to be buying them. Lots of lazy reefers :)

Slick Fork
07-19-2011, 05:43 PM
ora captive breds target mandarins are $100.

i dont think they are worth a $100 but people seem to be buying them. Lots of lazy reefers :)

I would hesitate to call those who do pay the money lazy, I would guess that most pay the premium to support a more ethical way to acquire fish. I don't know that I would pay $100 each for CB targets, but I would definitely pay a premium for them.

doch
07-19-2011, 05:52 PM
I would hesitate to call those who do pay the money lazy, I would guess that most pay the premium to support a more ethical way to acquire fish. I don't know that I would pay $100 each for CB targets, but I would definitely pay a premium for them.

Exactly. Especially when it seems that most of the WC mandarins don't make it. There are certain fish that shouldn't be collected. With the luck that I've had with them, I feel that this is one of the examples.

Twinn
07-19-2011, 06:24 PM
I followed the instructions on Nano Reef and managed to train my mandarin to eat mysis. When I first got the mandarin it would only eat pods and showed no interest in anything else.

Takes time but can be done.

George
07-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Even ORA mandarins don't necessarily eat pellets or frozen food. If you are dead serious about a ORA mandarin, make sure you see it eating pellets/frozen food in the store before you pay for it, just like you should for any fish.

daniella3d
07-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Simply get a wild one and feed it some good food. I gave mine caplan egg (masago) and live white worms and they eat all this plus the pods. They really love the white worms, but all of my fish love these, even my darn foxface.

gobytron
07-20-2011, 02:16 PM
aren't the ora ones more expensive due to their coloration and patterns plus being captive bred?

Do they advertise as charging a premium because they eat frozen or pellets?

phi delt reefer
07-20-2011, 02:39 PM
nope ORA ones are more expensive because they eat prepared foods vs. pods... lots of stories of ORA mandarins not doing well on prepared foods once purchased though.

gobytron
07-20-2011, 02:51 PM
From ORA website

ORA was the first to introduce significant numbers of captive-bred Mandarin Dragonets, also know as Mandarin Gobies, to the commercial aquarium market. The striking colors and patterns of the Mandarin make them one of the most popular and common marine aquarium fish on the market, but the wild-caught specimens have a reputation as being difficult to feed and maintain. Those concerns are resolved as ORA Mandarins have been raised on a variety of prepared foods. Hobbyists of all levels can now own and enjoy these easy to keep Mandarin Dragonets thanks to the research and production efforts of ORA.

All of ORA’s captive bred mandarins will accept a variety of prepared frozen and dry foods upon acclimation to their new tank. They may be offered Nutramar Ova, finely chopped Hikari Frozen Blood Worms, fish roe, frozen or live baby brine shrimp, frozen daphnia, and New Life SPECTRUM Small Fish Formula pellets. Some have also shown interest in Cyclopeeze.

you are 100% correct Phi.
I still can't believe they sell these for 100$ a pop.

BlueWorldAquatic
07-20-2011, 11:01 PM
OrA actually doesn't sell them for $100, the reseller does.

Actually onn their latest memo to us, they have captive blue and green mandarins ready to go

doch
07-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Well... at risk of losing another Mandarin... Ken, can you order me up a blue one please?

phi delt reefer
07-21-2011, 12:34 AM
OrA actually doesn't sell them for $100, the reseller does.

Actually onn their latest memo to us, they have captive blue and green mandarins ready to go

more info on this please :)

BlueWorldAquatic
07-21-2011, 12:51 AM
ORA has a few blue mandarins old enough to be transported, whereas the green spotted are result available.

My last order of the mandarins were good, they ate frozen quite fast. I can honestly say they took pellets too, but were picky on brands.

If I get enough demand I can place an order for them. I think I sold them last time for $80 each, spotted are avalible in pairs too

phi delt reefer
07-21-2011, 01:12 AM
whats your all in price to ship to ontario?

daniella3d
07-21-2011, 02:37 AM
Buy a live white worms culture and you will never lose another mandarin, at least not from hunger. They love the stuff and if you enrich them with Selcon you will have a happy and fat mandarin. Mine has been feeding on pods and live white worms for 14 months now. My male was killed by a stupid yellow tang that I had bought (and quickly resell) so all that I have left is the female, full of eggs and ready for a mate.

Well... at risk of losing another Mandarin... Ken, can you order me up a blue one please?