PDA

View Full Version : Algae problems

SleepyPirate
07-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Iv recently noticed that im getting extremly high amounts of algae build up on my tank glass, Green/brown and I dont know why all my levels are great except my phosphate is a LITTLE over 0 but it dosent explain the amount im getting. Its to the point that if I clean it its back to the same the next day. My light is set for 8 hrs day lights and 12 hrs night lights. What can I do about this besides getting a UV Sterilizer or chemicals!?

Iv been doing regular water changes about 1/8 a week sometimes 1/4 every 12 days.

I have a 6 bulb T5HO Tek Light fixture with 3 daylight 1 fiji purple and 2 actinic bulbs.

Lethbridge
07-18-2011, 10:16 PM
When was the last time you replaced your bulbs? Older bulbs produce a lower light spectrum which can inhibit algae growth. Also just a note, a uv sterilizer will not help with algae on the glass, a uv kills free floating algae particles in the water.

chris88
07-18-2011, 10:18 PM
testing your paramters is useless the algae will use up the phosphate and nitrates so they will read low or 0. you need to either feed less or remove more waste via a protein skimmer or growing macro. you coud also look into carbon dosing to help lower your nutrients.

eli@fijireefrock.com
07-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Like the guys said.
I would 1st sheck the age of the lights you have going. What is the quality of your water what do you add and how often (fish food,coral food and additives)
For mu tank I have always been running Activated carbon and recently ROX1.3 phosphate remover GFO and recently HCGFO and for about 2 month Bio pellets. And by all mean you could come by and check it out as some people here in Calgary will vote that in my tank there are not even a spec of algea.
My main display of 180 glns consists of mix corals 3 tang fish of 3-4" , 3 angel fish and a couple of clown fish. About 600lbs of marco rocks.

SleepyPirate
07-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Id say it would be my lights from what I hear from your responses, I think I need to change out my lights wheres the cheapest place to get 6 new bulbs? and will the algae die off IF this is the problem and I do replace them? As I noticed its just started to creep onto the rocks! I feed my coral 3x a week with Krill and feed my two nemos 1-2 x a day but very little and scoop out whatever they leave.

fishytime
07-19-2011, 12:08 AM
how old is the tank?

reefwars
07-19-2011, 02:26 AM
how old is the tank?

+1 new tanks when theres even the slightest amount of phosphate are going to see algae blooms id say just about most peoples algae problems come from phosphates, like mentioned above since there is algae in your tank your only getting a partial reading as the algae is using up some of the excess nutrients.new tanks need time to mature before being able to handle the burden of constant feedings and powerfull lights.its a balance game.

feed very little its the thing most people do wrong to begin with then wonder why theres algae, cut out the source of food is the best means of removal, so feed less have your lights on a timer keep bulbs under 10mths of age, watch your nitrates and phosphates very carefully and do whats necessary to keep them at zero.

what are you feeding and how do you feed it?

consider running a phosphate reactor for gfo it really does work wonders and are very inexpensive.

water changes for nitrates coupled by low feeding.

rinse all frozen food and then blotch with a clean cloth to get rid of the juices most are very high in phosphate.

lots of flow in your tank to stop food from finding places to hide and rot

CUC.....they are a must

dont bother with chemicals if you dont find the source it will come back with a vengance anyways.

cheers:)

chris88
07-19-2011, 02:38 AM
lights do not matter when it comes to algae growth. let me finish! If there are no extra nutrients in the water it wont matter what type of lights or how old they are, algae can't grow without nitrates and phosphates. if you have brand new lights of the proper spectrum and still have to much extra nutrients then you will grow algae regardless. it's basic biology. if you do not get rid of your excess nutrents then you will always have algae issues.