PDA

View Full Version : challenge finding a pump- advice please

shootingstar
07-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Hi all,
Well I've been searching for a pump for the upgrade.
We were shooting for 1200 gph at 6 foot head.
Seems all the internals are too small and the smallest externals are too big.

any suggestions/recommendations out there?

for the internals it appears the only ones that might work albeit at their max would be the Mag 18, Sedra KSP-1200, or quiet one 6000..... problem is can't say I've found good (overall) reveiws on any of the above 3. None of the Eheim's are big enough.

For external
the reflo's are too big,
the bluelines & iwaki are either too big/small

this is really frustrating, I had an amazing plan and even picked up a wahoo to power it all but things had to change and now that pump is going to be way too big. We seem to have stuck ourselves right smack dab in between the two extremes where the submersables are too small and the externals are too big.....GRRRRR!

thoughts/suggestions seriously appreciated

Cathy

Lampshade
07-18-2011, 07:02 PM
I was shooting for about the same flow, ended up going bigger with a reeflo dart. Bigger gives you adjustability. I have the return Tee'd off and going back to the sump with a ball valve. If i close the valve, all the pump's flow goes to the tank, if I open the valve, it dumps almost all back to the sump, with very little flow to the tank. Works pretty well, and i've played with it lots at different times to play with flows, i have it cranked right now until i find another powerhead :S, happy i had the extra flow.

shootingstar
07-18-2011, 07:12 PM
thanks Lampshade, was also looking at the snapper which is a smidge smaller than the dart I think.

RedCoralOnlineStore
07-18-2011, 07:21 PM
The snapper/dart hybrid would be just a tad higher than you are looking for. Might just work. The hybrid has interchangeable propeller which allows you to adjust from the dart to the snapper and vice versa - snapper being smaller of the two.

http://redcoralaquarium.net/online/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=87_24&products_id=275

lastlight
07-18-2011, 07:22 PM
What about a laguna maxflo?

BlueTang<3
07-18-2011, 07:31 PM
There are a ton of submersibles you could go with. I run red dragons and they fit right in at that, but recently discovered these little fells side by side with a red dragon mini pump you can hardly tell the difference. They also cost a fraction of the price.

http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/maxflopumps/maxflo1500.php?link=141

Here is another option
http://www.saltycritter.com/pumps/atb-flowstar-circulation-pumps.htm

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/siccewaterpumps.aspx

shootingstar
07-18-2011, 08:00 PM
thanks a bunch,

In frustration I had considered a red dragon but don't know what's going on with them right now, seemed everywhere I looked they were out of stock/backorder or it looked like they were launching a new line that wasn't available yet, plus could not find flow charts for them anywhere.

I had considered a laguna pond pump but had seen mixed opinions on if they could be used or not in a sw aquarium application.

I will go and have a peak at them, thanks for the links.....and that ATB flowstar 1500 @ 90 w might just be the answer. Are they reasonably reliable?
The sicce's look good as well but know the 1500 (swc skimmer pumps) have restart challenges, does anyone know it that is an accross the board issue with their whole line or just the 1500?

c

BlueTang<3
07-18-2011, 08:04 PM
The flow stars are the same motor block as the lagunas just a little fancier, my laguna in my water change tub has been solid for 6 months now. It is frequently ran dry :redface: and haven't noticed anything yet.

lastlight
07-18-2011, 08:29 PM
The large price increase between the ATB 1500 and 1800 is the custom volute. The ATB 1500 is the laguna pump with a custom pedestal made for it. As far as I know with the 1500 versions the only difference is the stand. This would lead me to believe the maxflos are salt-safe.