PDA

View Full Version : anyone using Biopellets?

MarkoD
07-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Im thinking about starting using Biopellets in a reactor.

anyone have any experience with it?

apexifd
07-18-2011, 05:04 PM
do a search in the forum. you will find that either ppl hate them or love them.

mitchemi
07-18-2011, 05:11 PM
I have been running for about 4 months in a mixed reef 140 gallon with I would say a mid size bio load. I do a 10% water change weekly. Tank has been running for one year. NPX pellets from Oceanic Corals in a vertex reactor. I started this reactor and dosed microbak 7 until bottle was gone. It has taken until now to see significant change. Nitrates and Phosphates are now almost undetectable in tank (to be fair I did not have a significant problem before but now the tests are clear) The one major upside is the amount of live food being produced. The inside of the reactor is virtually teeming with copepods. I would say this has been a great addition but you need to be patient. Also start the reactor with half as many pellets and add the rest after a month. Then you won't get big cyano bloom.

Parker
07-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Running pellets here as well, about half the recommended doasage on my 265. My Nitrates and Phosphates are also undetectable. The major benfit for me is I can feed as much as I want and I haven't had to worry about an algea outbreak. I don't have a lick of algea in my tank and I clean the front glass MAYBE every couple of weeks.

kien
07-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Since 2009 :biggrin: and ya, seems someone asks this once every couple of months. There's a lot of previous and ongoing discussion regarding biopellets which you can find by searching for "biopellets" in the forum. :biggrin:

lastlight
07-18-2011, 05:33 PM
I don't have a lick of algea in my tank and I clean the front glass MAYBE every couple of weeks.

Not that you have the decency to ever provide us with photographic evidence or anything!

Parker
07-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Not that you have the decency to ever provide us with photographic evidence or anything!

Ever since you asked me for photo's in my swim suit I've been a little hesitant to post.

Coleus
07-18-2011, 05:40 PM
I am running pellets over a year now with GFO, carbon, chaeto, RO. I still have to clean my glass every other day :-(

MarkoD
07-18-2011, 06:07 PM
thanks guys.... i think im gonna try them out.

what brand is best?

globaldesigns
07-18-2011, 10:18 PM
I have run them since the beginning, and Delphinus and myself are probably one of the first. Still running them, still no algae!

I myself, still need to clean my glass, but it is more of a whitish film that will build up after about 4 or so days, I am dosing Coral Snow, so it could be that on the glass, but otherwise water is crystal clean, glass overall always clean, and parameters are in check.

Remember the key is tumbling them slow, NOT FAST!!!

MarkoD
07-18-2011, 10:51 PM
I have run them since the beginning, and Delphinus and myself are probably one of the first. Still running them, still no algae!

I myself, still need to clean my glass, but it is more of a whitish film that will build up after about 4 or so days, I am dosing Coral Snow, so it could be that on the glass, but otherwise water is crystal clean, glass overall always clean, and parameters are in check.

Remember the key is tumbling them slow, NOT FAST!!!

i dont have an algae problem... except the stuff on the glass....

but i have between 5-10 ppm nitrates that id like to get rid of.... non of my sps frags are extending polyps