PDA

View Full Version : Ideal fan to vent a fishroom outside

lastlight
07-18-2011, 06:46 AM
I'm looking to buy a fan to wire to a humidistat. I'm not sure how often the thing will be operating but I don't want anything REALLY loud and I also want something reliable. My fishroom is maybe 50 sq ft.

Seems the options are a normal bathroom fan and the fancier inline ducting fans (Fantech etc). I'm not sure your average bathroom fan should run as often as this may require.

I'd also like to purchase this locally in Calgary. Thanks!

mark
07-18-2011, 07:16 AM
what's your humidity now?

I installed a bathroom fan for my fishroom but found humidity stays low enough I never run it.

Gripenfelter
07-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Princess Auto. I get all my fans from them.

Skimmerking
07-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Hey Brett A good bathroom fan will wok. However if your house is air tight then you are going to make sure that you have a line running in that is going to give you fresh air. you don't want a negative pressure from the fan.

rayjay
07-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Before I bought and installed my HRV, I used Princess Auto fans.
I started with one, but realized that I was pushing out CO2 laden air, but drawing air that wasn't much better from the house as a whole to replace it.
I turned it around so I was pushing fresh air into the room instead of out of the room. I ended up trying two fans but it still wasn't enough due to the approx. 1000g of water I had in total so I installed an HRV.
Unfortunately it wasn't in time to save the doors and windows and a lot of drywall in many rooms so it was a costly delay in fixing the humidity problem.

lastlight
07-18-2011, 05:05 PM
This is for the new tank. The tank and room behind it are essentially sealed off from the house. I am running a fresh air feed pipe into the room even though my condo is old and leaks like a sieve.

I don't really like the idea of the bathroom fan as you're garanteed to have some of that moist salty air escape the enclosure itself and find it's way into the ceiling above the room. At least the inline fans are mounted inside the room itself...

mark
07-18-2011, 05:24 PM
I don't really like the idea of the bathroom fan as you're garanteed to have some of that moist salty air escape the enclosure itself and find it's way into the ceiling above the room. At least the inline fans are mounted inside the room itself...

there must be a reason for the air to migrate past the fan but then it's easy enough the seal the fan enclosure to the ceiling,

lastlight
07-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Oh right they have those molded plastic things that you can seal around them right? I've never installed one of those before...just the box up in the drywall.

That's the cheaper option certainly. I can't exactly fire them up at the store. Anyone know what a decent dBa is for one? The prices def go up as sound goes down.

sphelps
07-18-2011, 06:14 PM
If it helps the NuTone bathroom fan from HD that is rated at 70cfm and costs $100 is very quiet. Given the size of the room it wouldnt need to run very often so I doubt you'll exceed its duty cycle. I would personally also run a timer inline with the humidistat so you can prevent it from running too often for shorter periods, plus give you the added control when it's allowed to exhaust.

Do you have forced air heating?

lastlight
07-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks I'll look at that one. I'd prefer not to spend more than that.

Yes my place is heated with a beat-up old furnace.

Zoaelite
07-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Hey Brett A good bathroom fan will wok. However if your house is air tight then you are going to make sure that you have a line running in that is going to give you fresh air. you don't want a negative pressure from the fan.

You really only run into negative pressure problems with new houses and fans that surpass 300cfm, at that point an expensive air make unit is required. Brett you could easily modify a cheap hoodfan to serve what your looking for, broan ones go for around $30.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

phi delt reefer
07-18-2011, 08:26 PM
quiet costs money :)

panasonic whisper aire or something like that.