PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater angel question...

Jenn_737700
07-18-2011, 06:33 AM
:cry: I know this isn't a freshwater site, and im really sorry for that. I just hope someone could give me a bit of advice:cry:

My freshwater angels laid eggs, and I dont know what to do with them overnight. Last time, they were eaten, so they cant stay in the tank. At least, not without something that they could float in. The eggs were laid on the filter intake tube, so i'd have to stop filtration over night. Anyone have any ideas to save the fry?

Starry
07-18-2011, 07:53 AM
if your going to raise them, your going to need several tanks. but for starters put a clean 3-4 inch pvc pipe in the tank with the breeders. they may move the eggs. otherwise when the eggs hatch the filter will get em. alternatly,remove the intake, and pipe to a 5 gal. tank with an airstone for gentle flow and wait for them to hatch. i use to breed angels, its alot of work, takes alot of room. but very rewarding. pm me if you need any help.

Starry
07-18-2011, 07:55 AM
double post

Doug
07-18-2011, 12:02 PM
But we do have a freshwater forum. I moved the thread there for you. Plus, you could ask in the marine fish section if you wished. Its called marine fish but in general, a fish forum. Perhaps someone reading there could advise.

reefgirl189
11-26-2011, 06:35 PM
I know this is an old thread but I used to breed FW angels. Not by choice, by accident. lol

The eggs need to be tended to by the parents, Angels are good parents, like most cichlids. They only eat their eggs if they are threatened by another species in the tank. Seems dumb, but many fish and animals do this by nature.

Who else is in this tank and did you have any live plants for them to lay their eggs on? Once you notice they have "paired off" you should put either an amazon sword plant (favorite of angels), or a piece of rock/something on roughly a 45 degree angle in there so they can spawn on it.

Lucky for you, if they spawn once they will again so if it doesn't work out this time there is hope for the future.

Nano
11-26-2011, 06:56 PM
I know this is an old thread but I used to breed FW angels. Not by choice, by accident. lol

The eggs need to be tended to by the parents, Angels are good parents, like most cichlids. They only eat their eggs if they are threatened by another species in the tank. Seems dumb, but many fish and animals do this by nature.

Who else is in this tank and did you have any live plants for them to lay their eggs on? Once you notice they have "paired off" you should put either an amazon sword plant (favorite of angels), or a piece of rock/something on roughly a 45 degree angle in there so they can spawn on it.

Lucky for you, if they spawn once they will again so if it doesn't work out this time there is hope for the future.

+1 I have calvus cichlids (shell dwellers) they lay theyre eggs in a shell and the mother stays in for a few days, while the father stands gaurd outside, however I have once had one of my dwarf afra cichlids sneak into the shell at night and eat the eggs(piggy) so I now keep a 30 gallon for my "hospital"/fry tank and as I rarely have had sick fish, its more of a fry tank, I remove the shell with the mother (this is tricky cause the dad is very aggressive at this point) so I do this at night, and I place the shell with eggs and mom inside into the fry tank, she will stay there for a few days and then leave, once she has left I put her back. angels a similarly protective in nature, since they do not mouth brood, they must watch over the eggs, you could use a breeder net if you dont have a fry tank and place the eggs into it, if they are stuck to the intake, just try bubbling them off with the airstone but if you have a valve control make sure its at a gentle flow rate to no damage the eggs. you may not get them all off but most should come off. I dont know if that helps? lol. I'm more of a fresh water pro so to speak, (10 years running!) but when it comes to salt, I am still really terrible lol. and as the above poster said Sword plants or other long wide leaved plants are awesome for angels and much easier to get the eggs off of.