PDA

View Full Version : Corn Anenome

Chad
01-24-2004, 08:31 PM
I bought a small corn anenome, problem is he moved to a spot where I can barely see and have no way to access to feed.. Its been about 3 days there. Just wondering if I should move some live rock and try and get some food to him? Or will it eventualy move to a more open spot?

Any clues?

TIA

MitchM
01-29-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm not familiar with a corn anemone...any other name for it?
My experience with anemones is that they move around for reasons of their own.
I don't think that there's any harm in exposing it a bit and seeing if it will take some food from you.

Mitch

Quinn
01-29-2004, 03:31 PM
It appears to be another common name for E. quadricolor...

Aquattro
01-29-2004, 03:39 PM
It appears to be another common name for E. quadricolor...

Right. Bubble tips are listed as corn anemones on some sheets.

Chad
01-29-2004, 04:17 PM
I am begining to wonder if it is an anenome? It does move around but it seems to shrivel up at night.. I thought anenome's were always open? And only shrink in response to chemistry problems?

Aquattro
01-29-2004, 04:20 PM
nope, they close up a lot at night. Perfectly normal.

Chad
01-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Hmmm, ok.. well a bit of my fears are going down. I did find a dead cleaner shrimp near it the other day. So I am thinking it had some shrimp lunch.. And it did take a piece of prawn.

My KH is pretty low tho at 5..

Aquattro
01-29-2004, 05:44 PM
BTA's don't typically eat live cleaner shrimps.

MitchM
01-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Maybe you saw the result of a shrimp molt?
I've had hungry cleaner shrimps take food right out of some of my bta's.

Mitch

Chad
01-29-2004, 06:11 PM
100% it was not a molt. It had flesh inside and I only have one cleaner shrimp left that I could find :biggrin: .. it was definetly eaten by something.. Maybe not the anenome but it was right beside it.

Quinn
01-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Shrimps just die sometimes for no apparent reason. I am not one of the resident anemone experts but I doubt your BTA had anything to do with the death.

Chad
01-29-2004, 06:41 PM
I suppose.. guess we will never know.. need Angela Lansbury on the case.. :confused: :lol:

sumpfinfishe
01-30-2004, 07:46 AM
Hi Chad,
This is the same reply that I gave to JT regarding his BTA:

When I have kept anemones in the past, I tried placing them in certain areas of the reef. I came to the conclusion very quickly though, that they will move to whatever location they prefer and it's usually different from where you intended it to go!

Chad
01-30-2004, 07:56 AM
When I have kept anemones in the past, I tried placing them in certain areas of the reef. I came to the conclusion very quickly though, that they will move to whatever location they prefer and it's usually different from where you intended it to go!

Ya, I am definitely agreeing with this.. too bad the thing will not come out into a more accessable location tho. It has retreated farther into the rocks. He still gets light but I cannot reach him. I guess I will have to come up with something.

Thanks Rich..

BCOrchidGuy
01-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Chad, I'm no expert so this is just an opinion but you may want to change your water flow patterns in your tank. Maybe the anemone isn't happy with the amount of water movement you've got in the area you'd rather it was in.

Doug

ed99
01-30-2004, 04:50 PM
I recently got a BTA- it took about two weeks to find a spot where it wanted to stay. In the meantime it climbed up and down the rocks and glass as well as hanging upside down off the water return nozzle for a couple of days. Eventually it found a place it likes and has been there ever since.

Chad
01-30-2004, 05:38 PM
Chad, I'm no expert so this is just an opinion but you may want to change your water flow patterns in your tank. Maybe the anemone isn't happy with the amount of water movement you've got in the area you'd rather it was in.

Doug

I may be trying this on the weekend. The thing that amazes me that the spot it is in ATM has almost no flow at all..