PDA

View Full Version : Light Choice for 60G Starphire SPS Tank

Lethbridge
07-17-2011, 10:31 PM
So I'm in the midst of setting up my custom 60 gallon tank (36"L x 24"D x 18"H) and I plan to do mostly sps and some Zoa's as well. Now my biggest issue is deciding on a light that would best suite my requirements. The original plan was to go with LED, and I was going to go with the 24" orphek unit, however I am still I'm the deciding mode between LED, MH, and T5. Now if I was to go the MH route what would be the best wattage MH, and how many eg. 2-150W or 1-250W? And would i go with a MH/T5 unit? If I was to use MH I would be using the 14k pheonix bulb, and KZ Fiji Purple T5 bulbs. Or another option was to go with a Tek 6x39w T5. I like the option of LED and MH due to the shimmer in the water. If you have any input feel free to let me know. Thank-you in advance.

daniella3d
07-17-2011, 10:41 PM
for the metal halide it all depend the depth of your tank. for 24" or more I would go with 250 watt and if your tank is like 20" or less than 150 watt is fine.

The shimmer is really nice with metal halide and my sps grow like weeds and have amazing coloration.

I would go with either LED or MH just for the shimmer.. I find T5HO very dull and boring..liveless.

So I'm in the midst of setting up my custom 60 gallon tank (36"L x 24"D x 18"H) and I plan to do mostly sps and some Zoa's as well. Now my biggest issue is deciding on a light that would best suite my requirements. The original plan was to go with LED, and I was going to go with the 24" orphek unit, however I am still I'm the deciding mode between LED, MH, and T5. Now if I was to go the MH route what would be the best wattage MH, and how many eg. 2-150W or 1-250W? And would i go with a MH/T5 unit? If I was to use MH I would be using the 14k pheonix bulb, and KZ Fiji Purple T5 bulbs. Or another option was to go with a Tek 6x39w T5. I like the option of LED and MH due to the shimmer in the water. If you have any input feel free to let me know. Thank-you in advance.

Lethbridge
07-18-2011, 01:19 AM
So would I do 1 or 2 150W bulbs as my tank dimensions are 36L x 24W x 18H?

Lethbridge
07-18-2011, 01:24 AM
I will also be hanging the light fixture so what would be a reasonable height to hang the unit from the top of the tank

Millepora_Maniac
07-18-2011, 05:58 AM
go with two 250 watt, Geisemann 20k bulbs, awesome colors. double ended are the way to go.

viperfish
07-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Very nice tank dimensions by the way. 150 Watt over this tank? I don't think it would quite cut it for SPS. If you do go the metal halide route pick up an electronic ballast that has switchable wattage so if you decide to change the reflector you're not out a ballast. I'm currently using Vertex Illumilux over my SPS tank for supplemental lighting and I can damn near use them as stand alone lighting, over your tank two 36" fixtures would do it. Talk to Craig at Red Coral and see what he recommends. If you're in the Hat anytime you're welcome to come look at mine.

Lethbridge
07-18-2011, 09:24 PM
If I were to go with MH I would definately go double ended. So if you say a 150w won't cut it would you say one 250w? I'm leaning more towards the LED at this point, and I was looking at a few different units, my number one choice was the orphan unit, key unit, however medhatreefguy, you mentioned the Vertex illimilux unit, and I had originally looked at that however I thought due to small size of the unit, and the 24" width of my tank I would have to use quite a few units to supply my coral with enough light, but seeing as you think I might only need two I'll take the vertex unit into consideration, how high would you think I would need to hang the unit from the top of my tank?