PDA

View Full Version : Missing fish?

chadmahura
07-17-2011, 06:12 PM
I woke up this morning and noticed that one of my clown fish has disappeared. I just set up my 14 gal bio cube about a month ago, put a pair of clowns in (not much bigger then an inch in length) about 2 weeks ago. Everything was good, no problems what so ever. last week i added a tail spot blenny to the tank, still no problems. Yesterday i bought a six line wrasse and a Debelius Reef Lobster. I was told at the fish store that the lobster probably wouldn't harm any of my fish as long as i fed it daily. The lobster was in a tank at the store with multiple fish much smaller then the size of missing clown. Im not to sure if the lobster is the culprit, or the clown is hiding, or what could have happened to it... Any ideas ?
-Chad

(http://www.freshmarine.com/purple-orange-lobster.html)

Sunee
07-18-2011, 08:58 PM
4 fish is too many for a 14 gal bio cube IMO - most people recommend only 2 or 3 small fish for one.

You should do some more research on the lobster - they can get quite large up to 5" - much too large for a biocube.

I did a quick search and found on multiple sites:
Caution must be taken when incorporating into a reef aquarium, as it may harm small fish and invertebrates.

I would consider 1" fish small so was probably a casualty of the lobster.

Lethbridge
07-18-2011, 10:18 PM
I would second the idea that the lobster ate the clown, they are scavengers and if they can catch it they will eat it

Milad
07-19-2011, 06:31 AM
that is tooooooo much for a 14g, I have two clowns currently in mine and I think its to many fish.

fishytime
07-19-2011, 03:21 PM
did you check in the back chamber?:biggrin:

Gripenfelter
07-19-2011, 03:23 PM
A lobster has no business in a tank that small. I have a 120 gal tank and I was debating getting a lobster but was told he would go after my gobies or any bottom dwelling fish.

kien
07-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Six line wrasses can be very mean fish. It could have chased the clown fish into hiding where the lobster finished it off :cry:

MKLKT
07-20-2011, 12:25 AM
did you check in the back chamber?:biggrin:

That's very valid... I had and sold a BC14 before and there was enough space for a clownfish to hop into the back chambers and dry up. First time it happened I saved the clown in there, second time he wasn't as lucky.

Newbie Fish
07-20-2011, 04:02 AM
I had my clowns jump into the back chamber as well. I cut an overhead projector sheet in half and placed it over the back chamber so that if they jump, they will ricochet back into the main tank.

chadmahura
07-20-2011, 04:17 AM
I checked thoroughly in all 3 chambers. As for the wrasse being mean... this one must be pretty nice. it goes up to the single clown and blenny and constantly checks them out, swims beside them and has been no harm at all

chadmahura
07-20-2011, 04:21 AM
is there anyway to take the pump out of the back of the bio cube ?

Sunee
07-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Just pull off the 90 degree elbow that connects to the return fitting (it is just a friction fit) and lift the pump with attached tubing out (after unplugging of course). If the suction feet are really stuck to the bottom you may have to reach in a wiggle the pump to get it to let go. I have a 14 biocube and this is how I remove mine for cleaning. Hop this helps.