PDA

View Full Version : Majano anemone

spit.fire
07-17-2011, 02:54 AM
so i acquired a decent amount of fish, liverock and coral and all of the rock has majano's on them. I heard they're seen as a pest by some but a cool little anemone for those who dont have corals.

Anyways, my question is, is there anything that will eat the majano's but not the corals and mushrooms?

i have leathers, all sorts of mushrooms, lps, sps, and bubble tip anemones in the tanks

monocus
07-17-2011, 03:47 AM
not sure about manjos , but my banner fish eats aptasia

Kevotron
07-17-2011, 04:54 AM
Im battling against Majanos as well
tried cooperband (dont work) matted filefish (nips my LPS)
i have given up using a natural way of killing these things
now i just use a syringe w/ needle and injecting lemon juice directly into the majanos.

Delphinus
07-17-2011, 07:09 AM
A few years back there was an article on advancedaquarist.com about someone using C. ulietensis (false falcula or double-saddled butterfly) to control majano. On the heels of this I faithfully went and got a pair of C. ulietensis, only to find out the author mis-ID's his butterfly and had, in fact, "true falcula" butterflies (C. falcula, very similar looking but different enough to be noticeably not the same fish). But, be that as it may, butterflies are butterflies and they did go after the majano anemones, within 2-3 weeks they were all gone. After that they went to town on the aiptasia. 2-3 months after that my tank had no aiptasia and no majano. Woot woot! Or so I thought. Unfortunately, flashing back to when I bought the fish, the LFS I bought them from said "Dude are you sure? These things will eat everything in your reef. Please don't buy them." Well, I thought at the time, but so-and-so on advancedaquarist has these and thus so must I! Surely they won't eat EVERYTHING. I'll just figure out what I can and can't have and adjust accordingly. Well, now, 2-3 months in, they're model citizens, and I think, wow, I love these little butterflies. I SHALL NEVER PART WITH MY LOVELIES! ... unfortunately, another month or two, and they start nibbling at LPS. Oooh, ok, into the other tank go the LPS. Then the occasional zoanthid. Meh, says I, zoanthids come and go. I'll be OK with this, they'll stop. Then onto gorgonians. Hey what the .. ? Toss in an SPS frag and poof, destroyed in days. Uhhhmm hmmm. Well, at least they don't eat my clams. Pop! Off a shelf topples a clam, lands upside down, and what do they see? Ooooh, tasty byssal gland, looks like wee little tentacles yum yum. Clam is all "Aiiiee! Someone touched my BYSSAL GLAND OH NOES! I shall retaliate by ... um .. dieing. <gack>"

They never did touch mushrooms though, and they never did touch the leathers that I had. So, I guess it wasn't EVERYTHING although in time it was darn close.

I still have one of my original pair, he's in a FOWLR now.

Delphinus
07-17-2011, 07:11 AM
Anyhow I guess I should follow up with that post in that I agree with Kevotron, a natural way of killing off majano is elusive and troublesome and you're better off dealing with them manually if you can.

spit.fire
07-17-2011, 07:41 AM
i wonder how my eight Lined Butterflyfish would do, it likes to peck at my softies

Millepora_Maniac
07-18-2011, 06:08 AM
I have tried everything fish (Butterflies, angels, filefish), Joes juice, aiptaisia X, etc etc. Kalk, nothing will kill them, or eat them. Finally, i gave up, ripped my tank down, nuked all of my rock and started over from scratch with dead rocks.

My tank looks awesome now, and no majanos. Huge headache, but no majanos :smile: