PDA

View Full Version : So you wanna get a cleaner wrasse think again!

naesco
07-16-2011, 10:43 PM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/just-how-important-are-cleaner-wrasses-to-reef-ecosystems

Aquattro
07-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks Wayne, great article...

toytech
07-17-2011, 12:47 AM
Good article and just another example of a fish that should stay in the ocean.

monocus
07-17-2011, 04:04 AM
also the cleaner wrasse will usualy perish after purchase.they can't get the food they need in an aquarium.better to use a neon gobie

naesco
07-17-2011, 05:45 AM
The article is a call for action.

As reefers we need to let our suppliers, LFS and online stores know that it is simply no longer acceptable to carry clearner wrasse any more.

Next time you visit the LFS please politely but firmly tell them about the article and the irreparable damage they are doing by continuing to import cleaner wrasse.
thanks

nlreefguy
07-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I've had discussions on here and other reef boards about cleaner wrasses where I received hostile responses for even suggesting that people shouldn't have them in their tanks. People just don't want to hear some things (like a lot of things in this hobby, I find).

reefwars
07-17-2011, 01:10 PM
I've had discussions on here and other reef boards about cleaner wrasses where I received hostile responses for even suggesting that people shouldn't have them in their tanks. People just don't want to hear some things (like a lot of things in this hobby, I find).

haha so your saying your gonna sell the 15 thats in your tank and a good deal lol;)

nlreefguy
07-18-2011, 01:59 AM
haha so your saying your gonna sell the 15 thats in your tank and a good deal lol;)

No Denny, I'm only selling 12 of them because a 50 gallon can easily support 3 cleaner wrasses!:lol:

reefwars
07-18-2011, 02:37 AM
No Denny, I'm only selling 12 of them because a 50 gallon can easily support 3 cleaner wrasses!:lol:

hahah so true buddy so true lol i did have a cleaner wrasse for a little over a year and it did great in my tank but it died during a water change one day i think my niger trigger was harrasing it not sure the real cause but i decided to not get another i didnt buy mine it was given to me by a friend . i also know that fishoholic(laurie) had one for quite a few years before she seen some trouble in her tank.

great article though and personally i think they should change the name of the fish and then it may not get so many buyers alot of people hear the word cleaner and automatically think its something they need or must have in their tank:)

silentcivilian
07-20-2011, 04:36 AM
I think people buy them for the wrong reasons. They buy them cause they think they need them, and they introduce them at the wrong times. As with all fish, more education, more reading, less farting around. Im sure its an issue yes, but so is harvesting live rock. I think that has 600 times the impact on the reef.

All fish we remove from a reef impact the reef. Its like arguing the one kind of plant you should remove from a forest but not the other ones. Its going to make a impact either way.

I think cleaner wrasses for people who keep a FOWLR system are essential in the same way they are needed in the reef them selves. In some instances it just isnt possible to keep the shrimp.

Im against them in anything less than 60 gallons and that isnt established. Ive had mine now for almost 2 years, including a switch over to a predator tank. Mine eats brine, flakes and cleans a lionfish, a eel and a stonefish and what ever live mollies make it into my tank it cleans// herds to the predators for a meal. I mean you wanna see somthing funny, watch a cleaner wrasse cleaning a stonefish. Its like arguing 1+1=7. It doesnt make sense, but its happening and it works for me.