PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable Week!!! Funny story

bluetang
01-24-2004, 12:32 AM
Well boys and girls here's a story for you. Prepare to laugh

It all started last week, with the sudden discovery of half a dozen or more small aiptasia. Shocked and somewhat distrot, fearing a complete teardown, if these guys were to get out of control. I decided to purchase a pepermint shrimp as a low cost eradication program. This after consulting with many of my fellow reefkeepers on this site and on reef.org.
I asked my wife on her way home in the afternoon to stop off at the fish store and pick one up for me. We meet up later on, and I immediatly inspected the puchase noticeing right away, "its kind of small"....
We then got ready to release our aiptasia eating wonder to its new playground. I aclimatized it and let it go. It fell to the bottom of the tank, immediatly looking for a rock. It then crawled around the back of the LR and sat still for a few seconds.
All of a sudden, with lightning fast speed my Royal Gramma darts out of his LR cave and with one ferocious chomp, swallowed it down whole........ That was the end of my aiptasia eratication program...........

Two days later.........
I was working yesterday delivering some merchadise to a client of mine when I decided to take a detour and stop off at the fish store. There I saw a great six-line wrasse that I just had to have and reasonably priced too. I went home and told my wife and a buddy of mine, my discovery of the day. My buddy said "hey, It turns out I have an in-store credit for that store that I probably wont use for a while, and you have a great piece of branching hammer coral that I could use a frag of".
He's been after a frag for a while so I finally after months abliged. The deal was made. We rushed off to the store before it closed and bought the little beauty. I got it home, aclimatized it and released it into the tank definatly fearing a confrontation with the shrimp eating SOB Royal Gramma. To my suprize there was no fight. The new fish just found a corner to go to and unwind, so to speak. The lights started to go out shortly after my new friend hit the water. So I said a little prayer and went to bed myself.
This morning I woke up, checked on the tank and found my friend fast asleep in the rocks. Wonderful! it survived the night. The day went by fast today and soon I found myself in front of my tank looking for my new friend.
No where to be found!!!!!....? No Where........? Immediatly I turn to the shrimp killer and I'm ready to go fishing. Then with a faint voice and somewhat upset, I hear my wife say "What's that?" My heart stops and I draw my attention to the back of the tank. No, not in the tank but behind the tank on the floor.
My new child jumped!!!!!!!! I didn't have it more than 24hrs. Was it the Gramma and his constant bullying or was it depression? I'll never know.....
All I know is I got kicked not once but twice in the balls this week.
I hope my saga this week has brought a smile to your face.
Now it's time to hear your story's.
Peace out...

martym
01-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Funny but sad at the same time.

Skimmerking
01-24-2004, 05:20 PM
sorryto hear that man, but remember that wrasses liek to jump and well that are bretty good at it. I have 3 in my 75 tank six line, a leopard and a yellow banana wrasse to.
I hvent had the problem YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I hope i dont I have had a CB jump out of the hospital tank before..

Mike

Beverly
01-24-2004, 06:08 PM
bluetang,

Had a shrimp eating hawkfish that did in two PPS, so I know the awful feeling of seeing a new animal sucked up before you can do anything.

Before a got our two fairy wrasses, which I think I should have only bought one of (another story, not so good, either), I got some eggcrate and put it along the back of the tank not covered by glass. Have been worried that the wrasses might jump out during water changes, when I remove glass, lights and eggcrate - the works. So far so good. Still have both wrasses.

Quinn
01-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Bev you lookin' to move a fairy wrasse?

Beverly
01-24-2004, 10:35 PM
Bev you lookin' to move a fairy wrasse?

Quinn,

Perhaps. I may have to take down my tank to get all the fish (two FWs and an angel) out and treat them for ick (if you have followed Jim's thread) in a bare 20g with PVC T's and elbow for cover. If the garlic doesn't prevent the next adult ick from attaching to my fish, and when the H-tank is cycled and I do a tear down, I will probably keep only one wrasse. Don't know when all this will take place though. PM me for more info if you're interested.