PDA

View Full Version : **Problem - Need Your Help**

es355lucille
07-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Have a look at the pictures and see what you think. This started a couple of months ago and I kinda wrote it off as a one off....and that it would get better. The growth (for no better words) started in the middle of the coral and has been slowly killing it off over time. You cannot see it clearly from the pictures but looking at it under magnification it looks like fungi (like mold on cheese) that kind of fuzzy dark look to it. Any thoughts? Its not red slime as it may appear in the pictures. It takes on a purple appearance in the pictures because of the coraline algae and lighting but it is dark.....more gray and black.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/es355lucille/Aquarium%202011/IMG_0745.jpg
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/es355lucille/Aquarium%202011/IMG_4006.jpg

mr_alberta
07-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Are you running any type of phosphate remover in your tank? GFO, Rowaphos, etc. might help with the problem. Also, you could try to increase flow in that area. Don't forget to do water changes too!

lastlight
07-13-2011, 11:03 PM
While my issue didn't look like that I did have some slow die-off / recession on my superman digi about a month ago. The coral was still growing but in the middle it looked like yours (minus the black growth). I used a turkey baster to blast the dying areas/edges to clean things up. Not sure why I thought that would work but the areas have almost repaired themselves in full now.

es355lucille
07-21-2011, 01:57 AM
Sorry for the long delay....work is a brute! Running Carbon/GFO. I am running an MP60 in a 140g display. Lots of flow.....especially in that area. Water changes once per week. Missed one but this started way prior to that.

Are you running any type of phosphate remover in your tank? GFO, Rowaphos, etc. might help with the problem. Also, you could try to increase flow in that area. Don't forget to do water changes too!

es355lucille
07-21-2011, 02:01 AM
Hi Brett. Ya i blasted this as well.......I even took a scrub brush to it thinking I have nothing to lose......nothing happened....it cleaned up a bit and then started all over.....I think it liked it!! LOL!

KH = 9.0 / Ca = 450 / Mg = 1150 (I know its low....I dose through water top off) will be at 1300 next time I check.

While my issue didn't look like that I did have some slow die-off / recession on my superman digi about a month ago. The coral was still growing but in the middle it looked like yours (minus the black growth). I used a turkey baster to blast the dying areas/edges to clean things up. Not sure why I thought that would work but the areas have almost repaired themselves in full now.

reefwars
07-21-2011, 02:14 AM
weird is it just this one piece?? maybe frag off what you can thats not infected and toss the rest to be safe?? hard to say from the pics but i wouldnt take any chances if you like the piece as it looks like its going to take over the whole piece...

es355lucille
07-21-2011, 03:29 AM
I was worried at first that it would take over the whole tank. It confines itself to the dead coral (parasitic tendencies). I am going to go in with a syring and some vinegar and see what happens.....maybe it will affect it. It going to be hard to get rid of. If I try and scrape if off the rock it may get transferred everywhere with the pieces.......has not moved anywhere else though. Its definately going to take over the whole coral over time. Good thing its slow moving.

Thanks for the comments guys!

weird is it just this one piece?? maybe frag off what you can thats not infected and toss the rest to be safe?? hard to say from the pics but i wouldnt take any chances if you like the piece as it looks like its going to take over the whole piece...

fishytime
07-21-2011, 04:00 AM
I second the recommendation to at the very least frag a healthy chunk off and move it somewhere else in the tank..... Then when you move that rock you can do some more intricate and thorough surgery:wink:

es355lucille
07-21-2011, 04:03 AM
I agree with both of you on that one. This frag was from your V1 Doug......its a nice one. Can't wait to give the gray stuff some vinegar soup!

I second the recommendation to at the very least frag a healthy chunk off and move it somewhere else in the tank..... Then when you move that rock you can do some more intricate and thorough surgery:wink:

toytech
07-21-2011, 04:15 AM
Is might be some kind of agressive coraline , i have a green kind that will grow up the stalks of the zoas it grows with until it forms a long tube and finaly covers the head . Ive tried scrubbing it off , but it wont budge.

es355lucille
07-21-2011, 04:20 AM
I have (three types of red) & blue & green coraline algae.....this is not like coraline.....although the pictures are deceving as it looks like coraline. Its really fuzzy like mold and dark grey to blackish......its not hard looking.....its quite fuzzy looking.

Is might be some kind of agressive coraline , i have a green kind that will grow up the stalks of the zoas it grows with until it forms a long tube and finaly covers the head . Ive tried scrubbing it off , but it wont budge.