PDA

View Full Version : Xenia,anthelia, kenya tree problem.

zum14
07-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Hello, been away for a bit, summer and all, well what were getting for one anyways. So as a newb my first frag was xenia, i got some kenya tree and anthelia along the way, and well now we have a problem. I said "oh ill keep up on fragging them" like anyone does and well i did, only problem is that everytime i cut, a small piece would get away, settle and start growing, and everytime i cut it down to the rock it grows back larger. Now were into plauge proportions. If i cut it, it grows, if i leave it, it grows. Between the three its spread pretty bad and ive thought about torching but that would only cause a cylce as its too much area and it would take multiple attempts im sure. Ive thought about a tank change and leaving the rock in the sump but am not ready for that. Im also thinking of selling the corals and few fish and cooking the rock for a while as im having trouble finding enough time to properly enjoy and take care of the tank. a small hiatus may rekindle the excitement. Anyone have any ideas?

ScubaSteve
07-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Feel for ya dude. I was in the same boat for a while and got rid of 90% of my xenia as it was taking over. Even rebuilt my tank and scrubbed the rocks... now there is a patch growing back in the prime SPS spot and ****ing everything off... Gotta go in and nuke it again. I'm even thinking of adding some xenia-eating nudibranches if I can find them.

But don't give up hope just yet! I too felt like you and was about a day away from from saying "F it all" and giving up. Get a buddy over to help ya, get some cases of beer and so a major rebuild, clean everything, scrub the rocks... get a fresh start. It'll take a few weeks for things to stabilize again but your tank will look awesome after and you'll be in love again! It's like a second honeymoon with your tank...

cathyg_99
07-14-2011, 12:27 AM
have you tried taking a needle and a little bit of lemon juice? you kill apatasia that way i dont see why it wouldnt kill the xenia

Madreefer
07-14-2011, 12:48 AM
I had the same problem as you but it's with a devils hand coral. I just ripped it off and coated the area with kalk paste. But if you take the effected rock out and just torch the spots it's not going to hurt anything if you do a single rock every few days. If you need a hand or some kalkwasser just give me a call. Enjoy the summer! Does'nt it suck?

daniella3d
07-14-2011, 03:50 AM
try dipping the rock into hydrogene peroxyde mixed with tank water, dip for a few minutes and that should do it. I did a 50% H2O2 (3%) with 50% tank water for 5 minutes on one rock and none of the xenia survived. My zoanthids were fine.