PDA

View Full Version : Bio Pellets need to be changed or not ?

reef93
07-12-2011, 11:56 PM
I am using bio pellets for over 4 months now, I don't know do I need to take the old pellets out and put the whole new ones in every 4 months, or just add the new ones in whenever need it. How do you guys deal with it ?

reefermadness
07-13-2011, 12:05 AM
No.....they disolve eventually....leaving you to top up the pellets every once in a while. I went a whole year and about half the volume had disolved...I just added more.

viperfish
07-13-2011, 02:33 AM
Which brand are you using? I'm using the Vertex pellets and they come with very specific instructions.

reef93
07-13-2011, 02:53 AM
I am using Vertex pellets too, and its recommended to change every 4 months. I know some people never change, they just add more pellets as reefmadness said. But some did, so it confuses me. I want to see how many people on canreef here are doing with the pellets.

tinman
07-13-2011, 03:13 AM
Nevet changed only added been running for a year and no troubles yet

reefermadness
07-13-2011, 03:58 AM
I am using Vertex pellets too, and its recommended to change every 4 months. I know some people never change, they just add more pellets as reefmadness said. But some did, so it confuses me. I want to see how many people on canreef here are doing with the pellets.

Never heard this before.....it doesnt make sense...the whole pellet is made from the same material....why would you change it out? SOmething to think about is vertex will sell more pellets this way.

My pellets are SWC ...the cylinder type...PHA.

viperfish
07-13-2011, 04:14 AM
Here is a link to the Vertexpellet instructions http://www.jlaquatics.com/manuals/vertex/probio_instructions.pdf, no mention of changing after four months.

kien
07-13-2011, 04:31 AM
Like everyone else, I merely top up my pellets every couple of months. Everyone's pellets will deplete at different rates.

Changing out your pellets wholesale would actually be detrimental to your system if your system is relying on the pellets as the soul or primary nitrate&phosphate sink. It usually takes a while for the bio polymers/pellets to develop the bacteria that consumes the pellets, along with nitrates and phosphates. Changing them out would mean you're starting from scratch every single time, and that usually isn't a good thing.

cwatkins
07-13-2011, 05:30 AM
Like everyone else, I merely top up my pellets every couple of months. Everyone's pellets will deplete at different rates.

Changing out your pellets wholesale would actually be detrimental to your system if your system is relying on the pellets as the soul or primary nitrate&phosphate sink. It usually takes a while for the bio polymers/pellets to develop the bacteria that consumes the pellets, along with nitrates and phosphates. Changing them out would mean you're starting from scratch every single time, and that usually isn't a good thing.

+1 Same!

reef93
07-13-2011, 05:36 AM
Without asking you guys I would have changed the whole thing already :redface: ... phew ...

Milad
07-13-2011, 06:10 AM
If you change them out, you will look the bacteria and you will get all kinds of problems before the bacteria gets back on the pellets to eat away the nasties