PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint shrimp vs Bubble tip anemone

SleepyPirate
07-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Well my shy anemone finnaly came out today just to be attecked by my two peppermint shrimp when I was feeding krill. It packed up and went back into hiding.

Should I get rid of these guys as they regularly iterupt feeding time and cause the corals to retract and go into hiding???

dsaundry
07-12-2011, 09:44 PM
I think shrimp were after food not nem, however you could try spot feeding it and see what happens.

ScubaSteve
07-12-2011, 09:47 PM
My shrimp drive me mad when I try to spot feed as well. I've found a few things to help with this. First, you can cut off the top of a pop bottle and put it over the nem when you feed so the shrimp can't get to it. Second, you can sit there and fend off the shrimp while the nem feeds... eventually the shrimp start to get the picture and won't bother the nem as much. Third, give the shrimp a head fake; drop in some of the krill juice, feed a bit of coral frenzy, whatever... just something that distracts them long enough and smell strong enough that they can't track down the krill the nem is munching on. I use the last method the most.

Over time you nem will become used to the shrimp poking at it and won't shy away as much but you'll have to fight the shrimp off it for a bit until it is more bold.

apexifd
07-12-2011, 10:43 PM
I usually just give the cleaner shrimp a small bit of what the BTA is about to eat first. Just to keep it busy while the nem is trying to take its food.

SleepyPirate
07-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Awsome advice you guys I like all of the suggestions, I think Im going to feed the shrimp some seaweed atteched to a piece of rock and while they go to town on that Ill quickly try to feed the corals.

Thanks everyone