PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever used Featherock for base rock?

cc_bruno
01-23-2004, 10:53 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used or heard of someone using featherock as base rock? One of the local landscaping places carries it, and they say that it's chemically neutral. Here is a link to it:

http://www.landscapecentre.com/featherock.htm

Can anyone think of a reason to not use it? I'm new to the hobby and I'm trying to save a buck or two so that I can put that money towards other equipment, (skimmer, MH lights, etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Reef_kid
01-23-2004, 11:14 PM
this feather rock is great for landscarping but the problem with it is that it is so light and porouse that it floats!!
i have used it for landscaping.. and thought about using it as base rock
althought because it is volcanic rock it may release many toxins into the water and the fact that it floats !!!
so it is better to go with the real thing !!
you can get tufa from some places for very cheep but you have to phone around!!
cheers
dave

cc_bruno
01-23-2004, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the info. Ok, I'll see if I can find some tufa, and use that instead. It's too bad, as it looks nice and it's $0.37 / lbs. so you can't beat the price.

If anyone here knows of a place that sales tufa, please let me know, and thanks again for your help.

Rob

apepper
01-23-2004, 11:40 PM
I was told that Sanderson & Sons Nursery carries Rocky Mountain Tufa

Sanderson & Sons Nursery
4635-60B St.
Delta, BC
604-946-6210

cc_bruno
01-24-2004, 12:14 AM
Just got off of the phone with them and they do have it in stock, ($0.50 / lbs). Thanks for the info. I'll be heading over there tomorrow to pick some up and give it a try. Thanks again for your help.

Rob

martym
01-24-2004, 12:52 AM
I used some of that Tufa rock from Sandersons, stay away. Lost most of my cichlids to it. It has somthing in it , I did the vinagar test and it hissed like crazy. I have always been told, if vinegar hisses don't use it. One thing I've learned doing saltwater tanks,is never try the cheap way, it always costs you more. Just ask my wife :smile:

StirCrazy
01-24-2004, 01:32 AM
Tuffa has a large amount of iron and other minerals that in most cases will lead to large algae problems. it may not in all tank but the potential is there. I recomend against using any teresteral rocks in our reef tanks.

a cheeper alternative would be to make home made rock using good materials and then seed it with real live rock.

Steve

kris
01-24-2004, 06:34 AM
i agree with Steve. I have used the tufa rock as bas rock and it cuased many many many problems with alge. when i finally got ride of it, i got ride of my hair alge. oh and this was from a few small chunks in a 100g tank.

Cheers!

cc_bruno
01-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Glad I didn't get a chance to go over the weekend. Maybe I'll go the DIY live rock route. Thanks for the info. I guess, just like everything else, it's better to spend a little more now, and save the hassles that come with going cheap.

Rob