PDA

View Full Version : Green stuff on the water surface !:(

arash53
07-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi Guys,

Its over two week my water surface is covered with green/brown layer sometimes seems a little bit oily but not everyday , I really dont know what to do ! , everything in the tank doing great dont have any alge issue anywhere in the tank, other than grape macro alge in some area.

My Tank is ReaSea MAX 34G, and I have only 5 small fish and corals.
My protein skimmer died 2 month ago but tank were running just fine without protein skimmer.

Thanks
Arash

megs_clark
07-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Do you have anything breaking the surface of the water? If nothing is breaking the surface you will get a layer like you describe on top of the water. If thats the problem even just a little filter empty (no sponges) would work to clear that up.

arash53
07-11-2011, 08:31 PM
No I dont have anything special , its a RedSea MAX systems water circulation, I added a filterfloss and carbon on the first chamber. how should I break the surface?

megs_clark
07-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Im not familier with the unit. But any water pouring back into the tank is breaking the water surface, and water being skimmed off the surface of the water is also, but it need to be a big enough space. I dont know how the system works on the redsea but with the skimmer being down perhaps thats why? Was water being sucked into the skimmer pouring back into the main water when the skimmer was working and isnt now?

arash53
07-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks Got it, it was water level. I lowered the water level and adjust the exit gate , all the dirty films gone immediately :)