PDA

View Full Version : Lionfish looking Dull and Foggy

JaiWiz
07-11-2011, 12:58 AM
I got a small volitan lionfish and he has recently stopped eating and his colours are horrible very dull and foggy i have also noticed his eyes have a little tiny thin layer of fog over them i'am very concerned i'am getting a 70 gallon for him soon and am wondering what is the best natural medicine on the shelf i can give him or any supplements to help him out he is alone in a 30 gallon as we speak. Any suggestions ????

dsaundry
07-11-2011, 01:51 AM
Unfortunately it sounds like marine velvet. Not good, see attached link.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/marinevelvet.php

The Grizz
07-11-2011, 01:55 AM
I would have to agree with Marine Velvet, same thing happened to mine a year or so ago.

Mandosh
07-11-2011, 04:10 AM
Although velvet is a possibility, lions are fairly parasite resistant as they are smooth scaled and have a protective skin covering which they can shed to remove infections (possible cause of the dull color. Have you noticed any mucous/slime?). They are susceptible to bacterial eye infections, and in some cases cataracts. Cloudy eyes and dull colouration can be an indication of a number of things. Poor water quality, stress, inadequate nutrition, or lighting that is too intense. Test your water (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate). When was the last time you did a water change? What do you feed? You can try Epsom salts to help clear up the eyes. I think its 1 tbsp/ 5 gal, but I’d double check that.