PDA

View Full Version : First Corals

Azzkr
07-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi There I am New to The Saltwater tanks and i was wondering what are some good first corals to grow in a tank. Hardy ones are better for me i work out of town lots

BMahura
07-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Some good corals to start with are zoanthids and mushrooms. Both are very hardy and have great growth. As well you could try some green star polyp (GSP)

RedCoralLethbridge
07-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Hey Mike

Definitely some zoathids, some LPS coral such as Torch, Frogspawn, or Hammer. They are great beginner corals and are very hardy. Welcome to Canreef!! :biggrin:

Craig
Red Coral Lethbridge

phi delt reefer
07-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Mushrooms and gsp and pulsating xenia can quickly over take a tank and turn into a pest so be careful with them. Zoos are great for they come in a million colors and relatively cheap.

jorjef
07-10-2011, 12:00 AM
If you don't have early success don't give up... All the mentioned corals are are what most people call common "beginner" corals, but every tank is different. In my experience I have never been able to keep Zoas, I think I have one head remaining, any mushroom covered rock I get ultimately sheds all the mushrooms. Some relocate some just waste away and as far as Zenia goes it just shrivels and disinegrates. Go figure.. I do have and they seem to be thriving are Duncans, donuts, fox coral, brains, plates, torchs, hammer feather dusters, and rics. You will fail with some corals,everyone does but once you find what works in your tank you will be set.

skabooya
07-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Some very good posts above.
duncans, zoas, palys, hammer, candycane, torch, frogspawn, leather, gsp, mushrooms except st Thomas mushroom, rics, feather duster worms, and I must suggest decorative macro algae just because I love them :)

Azzkr
07-10-2011, 12:36 AM
perfect thanks i think i going to get some zoas first for sure to try out. to attach corals i see you just use modeling clay?

daniella3d
07-10-2011, 12:38 AM
nah..zoanthids are the hardest coral I have. They can do fantastic one day and the next they are all melted. Avoid expensive zoanthids as they are very hard to keep long term.

Easiest coral, nearly impossible to kill are duncan coral, and also very easy are frogspawn, green star polyp (GSP), photosynthetic gorgonian, mushrooms.

Avoid any fancy and expensive zoanthids, non-photosynthetic coral, goniopora, alveopora. If you do get zoanthids, buy the cheap ones so you won't loose a lot of money if they melt away.

I can deal with any coral and have succes with pretty much all of them except zoanthids, especially the rare and expensive ones.

Hi There I am New to The Saltwater tanks and i was wondering what are some good first corals to grow in a tank. Hardy ones are better for me i work out of town lots

ReefOcean
07-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Zoanthids are also deadly.....

Let's not forget that. Since you are beginner, i wouldn't suggest owning any until you read up on them and learn how to handle them safely. I personally keep them as far away from myself as possible (at the fish store). If polyps are your thing, go with white clove polyps, button polyps, green star polyps, sun coral (a little difficult) or duncan. There are many SPS varieties out there with lots of waveyesque polyps to suite your fancy.

chandigz
07-11-2011, 12:43 AM
First of all no one has asked what your set up is? What type of lighting, tank size, flow and inhabitants? No one can really offer suggestions without knowing that.
And as for zoantids being deadly, Yes they can contain palytoxin in varying quantities but very few have levels that you would need to worry about with regular handling. There is a lot of myths and hype about palytoxin poisoning and how you can get it. You pretty much have to find the one in five hundred extremely toxic type and mash them into an newly opened wound and directly into the blood stream in order to have a near fatal experience. I'm kind of an expert on this, I should know I've been there I had every symptom for a fatal dose and also got to see a doctor. Was the worst 36 hours of my life. I still keep lots zoas/palys, and handle and frag them, always will. I just handle them with respect, and don't try to squish them off my rocks without gloves.

bignose
07-11-2011, 01:48 AM
perfect thanks i think i going to get some zoas first for sure to try out. to attach corals i see you just use modeling clay?

It's not modelling clay it's a two part epoxy when squished together hardens and hold frags, rock.... into place.

ReefOcean
07-11-2011, 02:57 AM
And as for zoantids being deadly, Yes they can contain palytoxin in varying quantities but very few have levels that you would need to worry about with regular handling. There is a lot of myths and hype about palytoxin poisoning and how you can get it. You pretty much have to find the one in five hundred extremely toxic type and mash them into an newly opened wound and directly into the blood stream in order to have a near fatal experience. I'm kind of an expert on this, I should know I've been there I had every symptom for a fatal dose and also got to see a doctor. Was the worst 36 hours of my life. I still keep lots zoas/palys, and handle and frag them, always will. I just handle them with respect, and don't try to squish them off my rocks without gloves.

Regardless, nobody mentioned that zoas are poisoness. I will wager dollar over donuts that the LFS wouldn't mention it either. Who knows how people will react to the toxin? You almost receive a near fatal dose, would you still recommend them to beginner?