PDA

View Full Version : Grape callerpa

AquaticFinatic
07-09-2011, 02:26 AM
How do you get rid of this stuff when it's all over your rocks? Thanks in advance. :biggrin:

skabooya
07-09-2011, 03:26 AM
good luck. I have it in my display tank on purpose because I have a macro algae tank. The more I pull it off the more it grows. It really loves a good trim. Ive heard that some tangs will eat it. Other than that im not really sure other than maybe removing the rock and let it completely dry out. Maybe removing all nutrients by keeping the tank super clean. Let the macro grow out and it will eventually crash from lack of nutrients.

Thats all i can think of.

daniella3d
07-09-2011, 03:32 AM
That's a funny thing...I never manage to keep that algae alive and each time I tried it just melted away in no time.

I can keep other type of caulerpa no problem. I wish I knew what was responsible so I could tell you how to make it melt but I have no clue what it was. It did not take long for mine to die and never reappear.

How do you get rid of this stuff when it's all over your rocks? Thanks in advance. :biggrin:

whatcaneyedo
07-09-2011, 04:29 AM
Algae is photosynthetic. Anything photosynthetic will die if left in the dark long enough. Use your imagination and I'm sure you'll find a way.

BlueTang<3
07-09-2011, 04:50 AM

Your tangs dont eat it? I have a separate 50 gallon tank where i grow this algae for a treat form my tangs they wont even take dried seaweed since i started them the fresh macros.

AquaticFinatic
07-09-2011, 09:10 PM
I have tried manual removal and it seems to come back stronger than ever. I could turn the lights out but that would affect other things and doesn't this stuff cause problems when it turns white? Thanks guys.

AquaticFinatic
07-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Your tangs dont eat it? I have a separate 50 gallon tank where i grow this algae for a treat form my tangs they wont even take dried seaweed since i started them the fresh macros.

My tang I guess is lazy with a capital Z lol. I should call him big fat yella! :mrgreen:

Magma
07-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Emerald Crab, I had half of my tank covered in this, and within 2 weeks it was gone. Its been probably 5 months now and I havent seen a hint of it coming back at all.

On the plus side he eats all kinds of stuff and even grabs some left over mysis from time to time.

ReefOcean
07-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Use a probiotic system and starve it of nutrients

AquaticFinatic
07-10-2011, 03:03 AM
I think I'll try the emerald crab route. Clean the rock the best I can then throw one in. Thanks.

DCDN
07-10-2011, 04:10 PM
I tried a number of things then finally just got to the point where I took all the rock covered in it out and scrubbed it down with a wire brush as best I could. Had to stay on top of it and remove any parts I saw growing back. Took a bit but now I'm free of it