PDA

View Full Version : pulsing xenia ?

cityreefer
07-08-2011, 07:46 AM
just got some awesome pulsing xenia off a canreefer today had both placed in the tank. went out and came back one has fallen and is now under one of my base rocks not pinched or anything but will not get light should i pull the whole rock work apart to move it or will it/ can it move out to the light on its own?

mark
07-08-2011, 01:02 PM
they will move but if it fallen some place you don't want it, move it back. I'd be balancing out though the effort to pull apart the rock against picking up some more or just leaving alone. Also Xenia can be a bit of a weed. Good chance the remaining piece will split and in a few months you'll be thinking about how to get rid of all the Xenia you have.

If you are going to move it, Xenia are pretty hardy. If it hasn't attached, first try grabbing it with tongs, might even be able to siphon out.

ALang
07-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Ditto siphoning out. Or blowing on it to get it out the other way with a turkey baster.

CoralineCori
07-08-2011, 07:02 PM
they will move but if it fallen some place you don't want it, move it back. I'd be balancing out though the effort to pull apart the rock against picking up some more or just leaving alone. Also Xenia can be a bit of a weed. Good chance the remaining piece will split and in a few months you'll be thinking about how to get rid of all the Xenia you have.

If you are going to move it, Xenia are pretty hardy. If it hasn't attached, first try grabbing it with tongs, might even be able to siphon out.

Agreed...if you do not want it in the location it fell to, I would try in all efforts to move it. Xenias will multiply like mad! Try either banding it to a piece of rock or secure it by sticking a toothpick through the base and wedging it between rocks....it will not hurt the coral. By next day it will have secured itself to the rock and the toothpick will come out eventually. Xenia's sure are pretty but can be a nuisance if they get outta control. Oh and the turkey baster is a good idea to get the xenia out. We have one and use it for many things in the tank like sucking out tiny bits of cyano, blowing sand off corals and other odd things! Good luck!

ScubaSteve
07-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Ya, I agree with the above. If you don't want it there, get it out. It will move but withh leave a trail of xenia behind it... that's dandy and all but xenia is kinda like the herpes of reef aquaria: once you've got it, you ain't gettin' rid of it.

cwatkins
07-09-2011, 04:31 AM
Ya, it's cool and all, but now I can't get rid of it!!