PDA

View Full Version : Polishing edges - Rimless tank help

ReefOcean
07-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Does anybody know how to polish the top edges or a rimless aquarium safetly and efficiently?

Any help would be much appreciated.

:biggrin:

rastaangel
07-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Most glass that has polished edges is polished from were its produced using automated machines, usually special order as its expensive varying on glass thickness. The way glass is polised is much like wood using course to super fine grids but with alot more difficulty.
On a already assembled tank this will only increase the level of difficulty as none of the peices can be removed and taken to a water fed belt sander, which is required not only to cut down on dust but reduce heat that can cause cracks, and flares or shells which could later crack after the tank is filled.
Short and sweet, unless you work with glass I would not recomeend attempting to polish the edges of your tank as you are more likely to do more damage then good...
I am a glazier by trade and I personaly would not attempt to polish on a assemebled tank, I have polished many glass edges, it is a very time consuming task that requires special equipment and is very easy to mess up...
Just my .02, hope that helps

ReefOcean
07-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Thank you

The reason I asked, is that i am getting a tank made and to get the edges polished will be another 150 dollars or so. I cant imagine the tank will come with sharp uneven glass (especially since polishing would be included in the base price if this was the case). SO would this mean that the edges will just be frosty instead of clear?

phi delt reefer
07-08-2011, 02:37 AM
polish usually means they will finish the edge with a bevel as well. Its worth the extra money or your tank will look you just de-rimmed a store bought tank. You will not be able to do it on your own by hand. It'll be uneven and you will probably chip parts of it.

e46er
07-08-2011, 03:13 AM
^^ agreed
fork out the money

rastaangel
07-08-2011, 03:16 AM
Most of the time when ive seen a rimless or euro-braced it has polished edges as there espensive, high end tank.
A edge doesnt have to be polished to be clear, it depends on how much they arris (sand the sharp, clean cut edge off) the peice will determine what the clear to frosted look of sanded glass will be. It also depends on how thick the glass is and how they cut it will determine how nice the edge will look with a arris vs a polish.
If they can do nice clean cut then a 1-2mm arris with a 400-600 grit, you would have a hard time telling the difference unless you were told...
Altho a polished edge is far stronger and more resistant to damage as its harder to knock a peice out

reefwars
07-08-2011, 03:27 AM
there was a thread on here a while ago about diy polishing it was a japanese guy doing glass work and tutorials on youtube, it can be done the guy used a grinder to do it going from coarse to fine.prob wouldnt reccomend it but it can be done and i imagine it takes quite a bit of practise so like above i would just pay to have it done alot easier that way and you wont ruin your new glass lol:)

rastaangel
07-08-2011, 03:38 AM
It can for sure be done at home, altho the grinder method usually results in damaged glass from heat and low dip spots...
If you go to any glass shop they should have samples to show the difference between a clean cut edge, arrised edge and various polishes and you can choose.
GET A POLISHED EDGE:lol:

ReefOcean
07-08-2011, 04:08 AM
It can for sure be done at home, altho the grinder method usually results in damaged glass from heat and low dip spots...
If you go to any glass shop they should have samples to show the difference between a clean cut edge, arrised edge and various polishes and you can choose.
GET A POLISHED EDGE:lol:

I dont really need it bevelled. But yes, I would like a simple polish. the edge should already be pretty smooth, otherwise I will run my hand along it and boom.... lawsuit. I know these are some ultra low grit solutions out there. will sand paper work?

cwatkins
07-08-2011, 05:17 AM
Spend the $$! :)

Aquattro
07-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Spend the $$! :)

Agreed. The tank is the base for your entire setup, it's not the place to be cheap. An unfinished edge isn't sharp, it's just ugly. Spend the money now while it's still possible, you can't go back!

ReefOcean
07-08-2011, 08:16 AM
I am really trying to see it, but it is 150 bucks. I mean, the edges on my 40 dollar 30 gallon tank are pretty smooth...to the point where i would be able to handle that quality on the rim of my new tank with no problem

I cant see paying that much for a base tank, and not having them at least do a once over with a grinder. sure I wont get shinny beveled transparent crystal like glass on the rim, but as long as it is relatively smooth and even, i don't think I would mind.

Arg hehe, the inner battle inside of me is too much.

hehe, I am just being cheap i suppose, I have been authorized 1500 for this set up, and these polishing and Starphire options are just killing me. I still need t5's, build a stand, pay for plumbing, buy a sump tank and buy a reactor and 2 pumps and whatnot.

phi delt reefer
07-08-2011, 12:28 PM
cancel the starphire - it isnt going to make a "MASSIVE OMG YOU CANT SEE THE ANYTHING IN THE TANK" difference, lol.

if you're on a budget cut the luxury items out. FYI you WILL NOT be able to build a setup for $1500 unless you buy someone else's setup used. A custom tank is the WORST thing you can buy when trying to save money.

I built a 45 gallon setup - hoping to only spend $1500... came close - $2500 LOL. But everything was new.

custom tank $350
eheim 1250 (used) - $60
two koralia 1050's - $100
ATI Sunpower (8x39) - $500 (you can buy a generic t5 unit for half that price though)
T5 bulbs - $160
Stand - $500 (you can build a crappy unfinished one for $100)
Sump with baffles (bought a generic tank and had baffles custom tank and diyed it) $100
plumbing - $100 (larger diameter = more expensive)
eco reefer rock (45lbs)and sand (80lbs) - $200
SWC Skimmer - $170
BRS DUAL REACTOR - $60
TUNZE ATO - $160 (luxury item - you can build your own for $50)
RKL with extra PC4 - $200 (optional but you will need a few timers so this may be a better option)
MAxijets 1200 for reactor + mixing = $50
2x Jager heaters (150w) - $60

doubt you will spend less than what i did. I live by the border so i didnt have to pay tax on half this stuff and everything is cheaper in the States. I probably have another $200 in misc crap lying around as well.

remember you still havent bought CARBON, GFO, pellets spare reactor, auto feeder for when you are away.

i just stocked my tank with fish - $600 - includes a few coral frags as well. Food is another $50.

if you buy crappy quality stuff you will end up replacing it with the good stuff - then you will have paid more than you initially though you would. Its an expensive hobby. If you wanna go cheap get a Biocube 14 and you will be in under a $1000 after you are done modding it :)

Aquattro
07-08-2011, 01:39 PM
hehe, I am just being cheap i suppose.

Yup, and once the tank is done, and you've gone over budget anyway, you're gonna look at the tank and think "shite, I shoulda spent the money"!! But then it's too late, and every time you work on the tank, you're going to be ticked off.

ReefOcean
07-08-2011, 05:32 PM
I hear yah Aquattro. I as seeing the guy today, I will take a look at the difference between finished and unfinished. Tell ya what, if I decide not to go with it, and I start a tank journal and start to complain a little, I will leave a big spot for you to say I told you so. :lol:

As for cost:

so far, if i go with basic tank = 340 inc taxes

24 inch Hamilton T5 fixture 6x24w = 432.32 inc tax

stand-
56 for 2x4s
40 for finished plywood
about 40 for molding
25 for 2x6packs of import beer for me and my friend :biggrin:

Reactor = about 80 with taxes

plumbing is about 50

2x mag drive 7 pumps about 220 inc taxes

sump tank = 25

bag o' sugar sand 35

1298.32 or so

It is important to note, I have all stand hardware, stain, clear coating, sanding/power equipment at my disposal.
I also have a protein skimmer, heaters, a chiller and up to 3 Koralia powerheads and other various powerheads.

I also have SPS, LR, softies and fish
I have a 120watt led light for sump lighting (if needed)

So My budget is a bit skewed, but that is what my fiancee has agreed to so luckily I have donor equipment lying around hehe.

I will use the rest to buy the initial neozeo dosing sups and supplies.

I don't consider salt and future dosing sups part of the budget, just part of continuous maintenance :lol:

rastaangel
07-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Dont bother with starphire for sure... Pending the shops cutting abilitys dont bother with a polish either, unless they cant cut thick glass nice...
I regularly cut 1/2-3/4" glass on my homemade air table so clean that simply running a hand sanding block w/ 220 on it to take the sharpness off you couldnt tell the different unless you weree holding a arrised and polished sample beside it... If they cant cut clean the edge will "sharks tooth" and it will look very bad and it will drive you nuts... Other wise the edge would prob be finished like any other mass made tank with a sanded edge

ReefOcean
07-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks for a little bit of hope, rastaangel. Yeah, I have pretty much decided to go with the stock tank, with holes. :biggrin: