PDA

View Full Version : cleaner wrasse

props
01-23-2004, 04:01 AM
always been fascinated with the fish
neone had any success keeping it? any secrets?
how 'bout food wise? what have you been feeding?
http://www.globaldialog.com/~jrice/fish_page/pwdblucl.jpg

UnderWorldAquatics
01-23-2004, 04:03 AM
I have lost a few, but I have also had alot do very well on mysis shrimp

butters88
01-23-2004, 04:29 AM
I had one that didn't clean fish and only ate brine shrimp and mysis shrimp :confused: I traded it in later :lol:

chwkreefer
01-23-2004, 05:49 AM
Mine seems to eat just about anything small enough to fit in his little mouth. He is always pecking at the nori (clip) as well. I just make sure when I'm making my own frozen fish food that some is made very fine. He seems to eat quite well and tries just about anything.

BCOrchidGuy
01-23-2004, 05:56 AM
Some people call them rental wrasses because they don't tend to do well in captivity. That being said, like Kyle, I've had a couple that have done really well in my tanks. I never saw one take mysis though, bbs, pods etc they'd take.... I like having one in a tank, nice active fish, always on the move.

Doug

Jason McK
01-23-2004, 12:19 PM
I have had mine for about a year. At first it would pester my fish constantly (Cleaning). It would actually stress them out big time. But now it seems fine. It checks everyone out and cleans if needed. I have also read that because their diet is the parasites on fish the food we feed does not have enough nutrients.
Mine has had little growth but remains in good colour and very active. He finds his way into the sump at least once a week. I now just jumps into the net

J

Delphinus
01-23-2004, 03:21 PM
Anyone know if they take to Cyclop-Eeze? My other wrasses love that stuff and since it's pretty small particulate matter I wonder if it could help fulfill their nutritional needs. Is Cyclop-Eeze good enough as a staple for adult fish though? I'm always a little leery about a single item being relied upon exclusively to fill a particular need.

BCOrchidGuy
01-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Jackets, they don't only eat parasites, they are an opportunistic feeder, they just happen to eat parasites as well, I believe the trick with them is to keep the food small and plentiful. I'd go so far as to say they probably are similar to a mandarine, they do much better in an established tank.

Doug

Bob I
01-24-2004, 01:17 AM
The usual advice is to leave them in the ocean. I think far more die than live in captivity. They are supposed to be an obligate parasite eater. I found that is not true. I kept one for three years. During that time it grew well, and ate anything I fed the tank. After three years to the day I found him dead one day. :sad:

martym
01-24-2004, 01:19 AM
Jesse, I thought you already have too many fish :mrgreen:

props
01-24-2004, 08:52 PM
thats my replacement when i get rid of one =oÞ