PDA

View Full Version : How to position powerheads

likwid
07-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Hey everyone,

Just curious how you guys would position 2 powerheads in a tank. I have read conflicting reports. Some say that they should be on opposite walls of the tank, facing each other to create turbulence in the center. Others say to have them both on the same wall and aim one downwards and the other upwards.

lorenz0
07-07-2011, 05:15 PM
how big is the tank? what powerheads, also what is your rock work like

likwid
07-07-2011, 05:18 PM
how big is the tank? what powerheads, also what is your rock work like

Tank is a 28g NanoCube HQI. Aside from the stock wave-maker pumps at the back upper-right/upper left of the tank I have 2 Hydor Koralia Nano's (thinking of going to bigger powerheads for more flow).

The rock work is basically piled up in the back 2/3's of the tank with the front 1/3 being a sandy "beach" area.

lorenz0
07-07-2011, 06:05 PM
the 240gph or the 420gph nano's? also add in the hydor flo, awsome upgrade for random flow and is like $20

just put them on the sides. it will be fine

ScubaSteve
07-07-2011, 06:12 PM
You'll get different answers but the best answer is: It depends. It depends on how your rock work is shaped, what kind of flow your corals like, and so on and so on...

There are several "flow pattern designs" that can be employed in a tank (you can google them). Biocubes are awesome for Gyre-style flow patterns where the flow is made to essentially make a whirlpool in your tank; you achieve this by pointing the powerheads down one side of the tank. This lets you get huge water flows with small pumps and very little energy; however, it only works well if your rocks aren't right tight to the back wall as some water needs to get through to get the "whirlpool" going or if the front is fairly open with enough space to form a gyre.

I personally place my powerheads on the back wall down low and point them up to the surface. This way you move low-oxygen water to the surface instead of just pushing high-oxygen water to the bottom; this is a better way to avoid low oxygen zones down low. With the powerhead facing up you also get better surface agitation, which gives better gas exchange. In my tank I have a Hydor K2 pointed up at the surface from down low. This gives AWESOME flow (I have all SPS) that is turbulent and creates great currents down low. It also creates a standing wave on the surface for great gas exchange. I just made this change recently (1 month) and everything is responding positively.

What kind of corals are you keeping? How are the arranged on the rock work? Post a pic!

All I could really tell you at this point is to not take any "rules of thumb" in this hobby and do what works for you. Experiment with the flow in your tank and give the tank a few minutes to establish the flow pattern and see how polyps are moving... watch the plankton and debris in your water column to get an idea of flowpaths and velocities. Gotta feel the zen of your tank. Let it tell you what works.

likwid
07-07-2011, 06:12 PM
the 240gph or the 420gph nano's? also add in the hydor flo, awsome upgrade for random flow and is like $20

just put them on the sides. it will be fine

on opposite sides aiming at each other?

likwid
07-07-2011, 06:16 PM
You'll get different answers but the best answer is: It depends. It depends on how your rock work is shaped, what kind of flow your corals like, and so on and so on...

There are several "flow pattern designs" that can be employed in a tank (you can google them). Biocubes are awesome for Gyre-style flow patterns where the flow is made to essentially make a whirlpool in your tank; you achieve this by pointing the powerheads down one side of the tank. This lets you get huge water flows with small pumps and very little energy; however, it only works well if your rocks aren't right tight to the back wall as some water needs to get through to get the "whirlpool" going or if the front is fairly open with enough space to form a gyre.

I personally place my powerheads on the back wall down low and point them up to the surface. This way you move low-oxygen water to the surface instead of just pushing high-oxygen water to the bottom; this is a better way to avoid low oxygen zones down low. With the powerhead facing up you also get better surface agitation, which gives better gas exchange. In my tank I have a Hydor K2 pointed up at the surface from down low. This gives AWESOME flow (I have all SPS) that is turbulent and creates great currents down low. It also creates a standing wave on the surface for great gas exchange. I just made this change recently (1 month) and everything is responding positively.

What kind of corals are you keeping? How are the arranged on the rock work? Post a pic!

All I could really tell you at this point is to not take any "rules of thumb" in this hobby and do what works for you. Experiment with the flow in your tank and give the tank a few minutes to establish the flow pattern and see how polyps are moving... watch the plankton and debris in your water column to get an idea of flowpaths and velocities. Gotta feel the zen of your tank. Let it tell you what works.

Good advice. Here is a pic of my tank to give you a better idea of the rock work.

As you can see from the pic, there is a mix of corals. The SPS on the sand is growing like crazy, as is the monti. The low light corals, like mushrooms, aren't growing much anymore, although I assume they have just run out of space.

ScubaSteve
07-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Good advice. Here is a pic of my tank to give you a better idea of the rock work.

As you can see from the pic, there is a mix of corals. The SPS on the sand is growing like crazy, as is the monti. The low light corals, like mushrooms, aren't growing much anymore, although I assume they have just run out of space.

Lookin' good!

So from looking at the tank, the first thing I'd try is placing one powerhead down low on the left side, well below the hammer, pointing straight to the front and angle the head up at 15 to 30 degrees. This will give you a nice current that will rip across the front and give some vertical flow. Make sure you don't point it right at your hammer; you want to aim just below it as they don't like direct flow.

On the right side I'd place the other powerhead an inch or two above the red mushies and aim it at the surface and to the left a bit... imagine if you were aiming from the front dead center of the tank at the surface. This should keep those nem tentacles away from your candy cane and give that xenia good flow (at which point it'll go b-a-bananas).

Point the return from your sump pump almost right at your monti, just down and to the left a bit, again making sure not to blast the hammer directly. The monti will love the flow.