PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying if this is aiptasia!

Avrbuster
07-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Could anyone tell me if this is aiptasia? I think it is, but it kind of looks pretty. It's really small so the picture is pretty poor.

We have had this tank up and running for over 6 monthes and I have never seen it before. We have not added any rocks or coral so I'm unsure how it got in there.

We had a peppermint shrimp in the tank, but I haven’t seen him in a while (not that we saw him frequently before) and we have re-aquascaped so he may have gotten trapped or worse :sad:. He may have been eating it and that's why we never saw it!?!?!?

Reefie
07-07-2011, 02:49 AM
This Pic is a little blurry, but it kind of looks like Aiptasia. I would recommend using Aiptasia-X, it works quite well on the bigger ones. The smaller ones are a definite challenge, I'm having to pick up a couple of Peppermint Shrimps to take out the smaller ones. I'd recommend you do the same.

intarsiabox
07-07-2011, 03:13 AM
It's not a very clear picture but it looks like it's got green straight arms with white tips. Aiptasia are brownish and their arms are a little scraggely looking.

reefwars
07-07-2011, 03:20 AM
that is a ball anemone kinda cool def not a pest they come in many varieties i like the orange the best:) they are a night time nem you can actually feed it mysis or brine but they are sensitive to light and arent found too often in the day whioch is why you have never noticed it:) it gets to be about the size of a toonie at best:) cheers

marie
07-07-2011, 03:36 AM
I agree with reefwars except it's not an anemone it's actually from the mushroom family

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/orange_ball_anemone.html

reefwars
07-07-2011, 04:05 AM
I agree with reefwars except it's not an anemone it's actually from the mushroom family

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/orange_ball_anemone.html

wow thats cool i didnt know that huh goes to show your always learning :)thanks marie

Avrbuster
07-07-2011, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the help identifying it. It is now in direct light, should I move it or will it be ok?

That means our peppermint shrimp might still be in there! :lol:

RuGlu6
07-07-2011, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the help identifying it. It is now in direct light, should I move it or will it be ok?

it does look like an anemone, if you move it it might not like it and hide, let it be.

Inedaan
07-07-2011, 07:07 AM
I had a couple in my tank for many months til one day they all up and died. When they were smaller they usually completely hid during the day but as they got bigger they got bolder and would extend even in full light near the top of the tank.

reefwars
07-07-2011, 09:29 AM

no sense trying to move it they have whats like little mounds they live in and they can retract into it you wont be able to get it off without harming it:) i would just leave it be and let it do its thing its a cool animal to have and i bet theres actually more than one in there.you can try to feed it i use to feed mine mysis they are very sticky and actually pack quite the sting to other corals.there has reports of the larger ones being able to eat fish but i doubt it mine were never that big and i dont see it happening:)

your peppermints wont touch it and i doubt they are dead, peppermints have been known to dissappear for weeks at a time:)