PDA

View Full Version : Heater Question

Reef23
07-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Hello,
I had 2 100W Marineland stealth heaters that were recalled. They sent me a 300W heater to replace the 2 x 100W. Now the 300W heater is shot and not working after only a few weeks. Im in the process of upgrading systems and they sent me a refund. What is the best heater options for a 140G+40G sump. I have always heard that running multiple heaters is the best in case the thermostat goes on one. Any suggestiosn ? Whats everyone else running?
Thanks

mark
07-05-2011, 08:35 PM
the best thing to do is have your heater on a controller. Can be a aquarium controller or just a dedicated heater (and fan) controller like a Ranco (http://www.etcsupply.com/).

I'm using a single heater on a controller, with the heater's thermostat set a little higher than display temp as a backup for the controller's thermostat.

Sizing see here (http://www.beananimal.com/articles/aquarium-heaters-what-you-need-to-know%21.aspx).

Reef23
07-05-2011, 08:48 PM
the best thing to do is have your heater on a controller. Can be a aquarium controller or just a dedicated heater (and fan) controller like a Ranco (http://www.etcsupply.com/).

I'm using a single heater on a controller, with the heater's thermostat set a little higher than display temp as a backup for the controller's thermostat.

Sizing see here (http://www.beananimal.com/articles/aquarium-heaters-what-you-need-to-know%21.aspx).

Thanks, I guess I should have mentioned that I will be using a reef keeper lite to control the heater. Is it better to get a heater without a thermostat or run one with a thermostat like stated above ?

George
07-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks, I guess I should have mentioned that I will be using a reef keeper lite to control the heater. Is it better to get a heater without a thermostat or run one with a thermostat like stated above ?

Get a couple heaters with thermostat. Control your heaters with RKL. Set the thermostat on your heaters one degree above your desired temperature. Set the temperature on your RKL to your desire one. You will have fail-over on both the heaters and the controller.

Bblinks
07-05-2011, 09:20 PM
I run my 300W JAGER off my apex. never ever had an issue. Mind you the thing is hardly even on.

Reef23
07-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Get a couple heaters with thermostat. Control your heaters with RKL. Set the thermostat on your heaters one degree above your desired temperature. Set the temperature on your RKL to your desire one. You will have fail-over on both the heaters and the controller.

When you say a couple, how big are you thinking ?
2x150W ?

reefwars
07-06-2011, 03:32 AM
always run more than one heater...always......same goes for powerheads imo...... in case one fails.same goes that if you can split stuff into two different breakers on the incase one was to trip you would still have a heater and powerhead on different breakers.im sure alot of people get away with one with no problems but what ifs can be the reason your tank crashes and lose everything:) cheers

Reef23
07-06-2011, 03:37 AM
always run more than one heater...always......same goes for powerheads imo...... in case one fails.same goes that if you can split stuff into two different breakers on the incase one was to trip you would still have a heater and powerhead on different breakers.im sure alot of people get away with one with no problems but what ifs can be the reason your tank crashes and lose everything:) cheers

I plan on running 2, its just a matter of what size

intarsiabox
07-06-2011, 03:40 AM
2x150w or 2x200w should be fine. With higher wattage the heaters can heat up the water faster in a shorter time so will be on less but the smaller wattage one take longer but use less power so it's pretty much a wash. 180g of water doesn't lose it's heat instantly so a single heater will have no problem keeping up but have a second as a back up. Your controller has a low/high temp alarm I believe. Pumps and lights and ambient temperature all add heat to the water as well.

reefwars
07-06-2011, 03:40 AM
When you say a couple, how big are you thinking ?
2x150W ?

that or 2 x 200w wouldnt mater if you went bigger they would still be set to the same temp where as smaller heaters has to do alot more work to heat your tank same goes with the theory of 2 heaters one takes some of the load off the other:)

reefwars
07-06-2011, 03:42 AM
2x150w or 2x200w should be fine. With higher wattage the heaters can heat up the water faster in a shorter time so will be on less but the smaller wattage one take longer but use less power so it's pretty much a wash. 180g of water doesn't lose it's heat instantly so a single heater will have no problem keeping up but have a second as a back up. Your controller has a low/high temp alarm I believe.

hahah beat me too it you did lol:)

Reef23
07-06-2011, 03:44 PM
I think 2x200w Jäger will be about perfect by the sounds of things