PDA

View Full Version : American Websites

Reef23
07-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Does anyone order from any of the popular american websites ?
Aquacave,marine depot ?
I was thinking of ordering a protein skimmer from aquacave but was worried about brokerage fees and cumstomer service issues/repairs
Any thoughts ?

mseepman
07-05-2011, 04:38 AM
I have ordered from Aquacave and the experience was a very good one. There was a breakage issue and they handled it completely professionally. In regards to duties, i don't recall anything that stuck out for fees.
I was planning on getting an XP-5000 internal cone from Reef Specialty but one of the vendors on here has indicated that they can get it for a reasonable price so I plan to support them with the purchase.
I think the Octo Cones are a very good value so any purchase you make should be a good one.

Bblinks
07-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Depend on what kind of skimmer you want, there are a lot of places in Canada who can supply you with the same at a reasonable price. I prefer to support our local economy since they support me in my addiction. I would recommend JL AQUATICS in bc as they have awesome pricing, or if you must go abroad then BULKREEFSUPPLY has a good selection on all the name brand and economical skimmers. The best part with brs is all prices are upfront, there are no any extra duty or brokerage fees. I have dealt with them on multiple occasions and top notch on all aspects.

lenzh
07-06-2011, 06:19 PM
I have purchased several items from Premium Aquatics that I could not find at all in Canada. They were very good to deal with. The way to get around brokerage or handling fees is to have the item shipped with UPS express. It's fast and brokerage fees are fully covered.

Usually by the time you figure in shipping things will be the same or cheaper if you buy from a place like J&L, who are excellent to deal with also.

shaunnyg
07-07-2011, 05:59 AM
J and L are good and Canadian, but a good US company is Salty Supply in Florida. Wicked knowledgeable. Lots of choice. Actually called me back in canada about some questions I had. Just don't ship UPS!!! Brokerage fees will kill you. If you ship USPS there is something about it being a government run deal that the brokerage fees are lower..

lenzh
07-07-2011, 02:36 PM
to clarify:

UPS Ground - BAD (high brokerage)
UPS Express - GOOD (fast and no brokerage fees)

phi delt reefer
07-07-2011, 03:00 PM
I have ordered from Aquacave and the experience was a very good one. There was a breakage issue and they handled it completely professionally. In regards to duties, i don't recall anything that stuck out for fees.
I was planning on getting an XP-5000 internal cone from Reef Specialty but one of the vendors on here has indicated that they can get it for a reasonable price so I plan to support them with the purchase.
I think the Octo Cones are a very good value so any purchase you make should be a good one.

i have been told that as well. Vendor came back with a price $250 higher than the REGULAR price in the States. Problem is a lack of competition but vendors are getting smarter and prices are getting better.

wickedfrags
07-07-2011, 05:17 PM
you have a ton of local venders in Ontario (retain stores and online)...what were you looking for specifically? I always try to support local vendors whenever possible.

Does anyone order from any of the popular american websites ?
Aquacave,marine depot ?
I was thinking of ordering a protein skimmer from aquacave but was worried about brokerage fees and cumstomer service issues/repairs
Any thoughts ?

Reef23
07-07-2011, 08:05 PM
I was just pricing out skimmers and wondering how the us websites were for canadian orders. I did end up going with one of the canadian sponsor websites who price was very competitive and great help over the phone. They shipped it same day and the skimmer will be here tomorrow.
Thanks

Bblinks
07-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Glad to hear that. support local, always.

KevinK
07-07-2011, 11:39 PM
ok, so I'm also somone that ordered once in a while from the us.

BE AWARE

when shipping fom the US by fed ex ore UPS, thy dont cover damage when your package is lost

I gust had LED's send to me, and I ask to send it by USPS, but thy mest up and send fed ex and had it insured.

so fed ex douse not care if thy deliver something from 1 ore 1000 dollar, thy gust toss the package at your door.

thy left a card telling me it would be in front of the door, but no way, no package.

long story short, after investigating, thy tell me it is indeed lost, but fed ex in the US tells, SORRY< GROUND SHIPMENT TO PERSONAL ADDRESSES ARE NOT OUR RESPONSEBILLETY.

the card thy leave behind on your door informes you thy should do 3 delivery attempts, but as time matters to them, thy gust toss it somewhere and than tell you by by.

the driver could even have taken it home,

when sending USPS at least thy in deed do try to deliver another time, ore leave it at the post office

the comercial guys dont care about you, for them a thousand dollar shipment is the same as a greeting card, and thy present themselve as thy care, but on the end, it is the one waiting for the shipment that is nailed

for fun, google: package lost claim fed ex ore UPS, you never want to send again with them.

I'm still struggeling to get my LED's ore my $$ back, as I paid for insured shiipment, so the sender is in my opinion responseble, but I feel bad for him

gust my 2 words, if you order from the US, make shore you are covered, as 9 out of 10 times you think you are, untill your order is lost, and than you find out that somewhere, somehow you are standing with a empty wallet, and no product

cwatkins
07-08-2011, 05:23 AM
I would love to buy local but with a family to feed and an expensive hobby, if I can save $100 on an MP40 by ordering online from the US and having them ship to a postal pickup place just across the border (with free shipping), then I'll for sure buy it online.

Usually no tax coming back across the border if it's the three of us.