PDA

View Full Version : Kent salt and mixing

whaase
01-22-2004, 11:16 PM
I finally got water in my tank and was about to mix in the salt (tank is empty) I opened the bucket and noticed there was no scoop. Is there usually one? If there is, what size is it? I used a 1 cup scoop from the wife's drawer (thank's dear :biggrin: ) Hope she won't miss it :eek:

Thanks, Walter

LostMind
01-22-2004, 11:18 PM
I have never recieved a scoop with my kent salt.

Namscam
01-22-2004, 11:24 PM
I dont think you re suppose to get a scooper when you buy salt...I didnt get one with my red sea salt

UnderWorldAquatics
01-22-2004, 11:31 PM
I have gone through hundreds of buckets of salt and have never got a scoop. Dont feel to left out...lol

whaase
01-22-2004, 11:35 PM
Ok , I don't feel bad. I just assumed there was one in there. So I guess my question is, if you buy a bucket (200g) and you need to mix about 60g of water, what size of a scoop would you use? Or would you just mix a bit, check, and mix more if needed?

Walter

Namscam
01-22-2004, 11:35 PM
thats what a hydrometer is for

Canadian Man
01-22-2004, 11:38 PM
1/2 a cup of salt makes ~ 1 gallon of sw.

Raid the Kitchen! :cool:

whaase
01-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Thanks guy! Already did Jon :biggrin:

Walter

BCOrchidGuy
01-23-2004, 01:05 AM
Walter, I use 4 cups of salt/10 gallons of DI water.

Nice going getting Kent I find it mixes up consistantly every batch I've used, unlike alot of the other salts I've tried.

Doug

StirCrazy
01-23-2004, 01:32 AM
Walter, I use 4 cups of salt/10 gallons of DI water.

Doug

whats your SG? I use 1/2 cup IO salt/gal RO water.

Steve

martym
01-23-2004, 01:39 AM
I'm getting a kitchen scale to weigh my salts. It should be more accurate that a cup. I have a heck of a time getting consistant SG redings using a cup.

Pansy-Paws
01-23-2004, 02:13 AM
Weighing is the approach I take.

6.6 kg of Kent salt in 50 gallons yields 1.024

BCOrchidGuy
01-23-2004, 02:39 AM
Steve, I always end up with 1.023

Doug

whaase
01-23-2004, 02:43 AM
Seeing as this is my first fill, and the tank was only about 3/4 full. I'll never need to fill it like that again. When I do mix salt for water changes, I'd assume I'll get some rough #'s of water to salt ratio. If I had to guess, I ended up using 35 cups for about 60-65g of water to get a 1.025....

Walter

ps. Thanks again for the help

BCOrchidGuy
01-23-2004, 02:56 AM
Walter, I got a 10 gallon aquarium for mixing my salt, I put a mark on it with black permanent marker for 5 gallons as well, so if I only need to do a 5 gallon water change, I fill the tank to that mark, add my salt and let a power head run over night, next day the water is ready for the change.
To start off get yourself a container with a known capacity, get it reasonably full and then add some salt, mix well and check SG, once you figure out how much salt to add, you'll be set. When I used Marine Environment and Bio Sea, I could never count on the SG being the same, little own the Ca or anything, it's one of the reasons I swear by kent, it's IO with some additives, if IO were cheaper I'd use IO, they are made in the same plant by the same people.

Doug

whaase
01-23-2004, 03:00 AM
Walter, I got a 10 gallon aquarium for mixing my salt, I put a mark on it with black permanent marker for 5 gallons as well, so if I only need to do a 5 gallon water change, I fill the tank to that mark, add my salt and let a power head run over night, next day the water is ready for the change.
To start off get yourself a container with a known capacity, get it reasonably full and then add some salt, mix well and check SG, once you figure out how much salt to add, you'll be set. When I used Marine Environment and Bio Sea, I could never count on the SG being the same, little own the Ca or anything, it's one of the reasons I swear by kent, it's IO with some additives, if IO were cheaper I'd use IO, they are made in the same plant by the same people.

Doug

Yup, that what I'm going to be doing. Actually, I made a deal with incoma for his sand and live rock. It was sooner than I was expecting to set up my tank, so It's been a rush the last 2 days to get it set up for Friday :biggrin: Plus, this is my first salt tank.

Walter

BCOrchidGuy
01-23-2004, 03:05 AM
ah, you're going to love it, ... just think of all the $$ you can spend now....

Doug

whaase
01-23-2004, 04:03 AM
I'm thinking of all the $$$ I already spent :biggrin:

But, it's all worth it!

Walter