PDA

View Full Version : Eco Reefer

Reef23
07-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Hi all,
Im upgrading from my current 75G to a 140G custom miracles tank. I have about 80lbs of live rock and will need another 50lbs+ to finish the new tank.
I will be purchasing the new Eco-reefer rock in the next few weeks. Will I need to cycle this rock before adding it to the new tank ? Or can I add it with my 80lbs of rock from my current tank and be ok ? Before I put my current rock in my new tank I was thinking about dipping all of it to make sure I dont bring any unwanted hitchhikers over to the new tank. Any suggestions on this process. Alot of the rocks have frags or green palys will the suggested method of dipping hurt these ?
Thanks

EcoReefer
07-04-2011, 01:33 AM
You can add the Reefer Rock directly to your new aquarium (it won't be live but your live rock will seed the new rock fairly quickly). You can consider the rock as neutral. I only recommend a quick rinse of the Reefer Rock prior to putting in the tank.

As for trying to prevent bringing hitch-hikers to the new tank - this is going to be somewhat difficult. You can try putting each piece of live rock through a carbonated water dip. You dip for 30-60 seconds each piece in a bucket of carbonated water - a lot of the hitch-hikers will evacuate the rock quickly but you will not be 100% successful.

Reef23
07-04-2011, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the heads up,
I always read about people putting the rock through a vinegar bath, whats the reasoning behind this?

Aquattro
07-04-2011, 02:06 AM
I always read about people putting the rock through a vinegar bath, whats the reasoning behind this?

I can't say I've ever heard of that, but I imagine it's a good way to kill almost everything on your rock. Kinda like bleach....

Not on the Top 10 list of good ideas, IMO :)

sitandwatch
07-04-2011, 03:21 AM
I just added mine right into the new tank no cycling, I would recommend a rinse.

Reef23
07-04-2011, 02:19 PM
I just added mine right into the new tank no cycling, I would recommend a rinse.

I will deff rinse in some RODI water. I thought a mini cycle would start with the new rock and new sand ?

sitandwatch
07-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Are you useing the ecoreef sand? If so you are going to have a very cloudy tank for about a week its near impossible to rinse.

I went from about 30gal to a 105 gal

Added about 100lbs or ecoreef rock and 50ish pounds of sand

I added in the new rock and 3/4 of the old rock to the new tank, rock-scaped then added the sand (note I did not rinse any of it) after adding the sand I could not see in the tank for about a week I also added in some of the original sand to help seed the new sand, for water changes I took old tank water and added it to the new tank.

By the time I finished getting the new tank up and running and everything moved over was about 2 weeks this was mostly as I could not really see into the tank, I never really saw a cycle I looked for one but it never really came about for me

reefwars
07-04-2011, 04:03 PM
heres a trick for adding sand so as not to cloudy up your water...using a piece of pvc the wider on the round the better take a long length long enough to get to all places in your tank....pour sand down the pvc and slowly lift and move the pvc around....wont be completely clear but will drasticall reduce the cloudiness:) wala no cloud worked many times for myself:)cheers

reefwars
07-04-2011, 04:09 PM
if theres no die off from your old rock you wont see much of a cycle at all i mean a very mini one is gonna happen from moving your rock and releasing whats under the sand if you have sand but it may not even be detectable. but dry rock wont cause a cycle at all since there is no life on it so if you use as much of your established water as you can and minimize exposure to air and try not to stir up a mess in the old tank your tank will simply be a simple move and not a "new set up"

thats the beauty of dry rock is no cycle add it all at once like stated above rinse to clean off any dust from shipping or handling:)cheers

Reef23
07-04-2011, 05:15 PM
if theres no die off from your old rock you wont see much of a cycle at all i mean a very mini one is gonna happen from moving your rock and releasing whats under the sand if you have sand but it may not even be detectable. but dry rock wont cause a cycle at all since there is no life on it so if you use as much of your established water as you can and minimize exposure to air and try not to stir up a mess in the old tank your tank will simply be a simple move and not a "new set up"

thats the beauty of dry rock is no cycle add it all at once like stated above rinse to clean off any dust from shipping or handling:)cheers

Good to hear!
I don't plan on using ecoreefer sand as I heard it's very fine and you always are having sandstorms. I am looking at using special grade reef sand.

phi delt reefer
07-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Good to hear!
I don't plan on using ecoreefer sand as I heard it's very fine and you always are having sandstorms. I am looking at using special grade reef sand.
+1 you are on teh right track. I have the eco reefer sand - very clean but the particles are just too small - water always looks like theres a slight fog and i rinsed my sand 3 times before putting it in the tank. Great stuff for a remote sand bed but i wouldnt use it in the display again. The carib sea special grade seems to be the number on recommonded stuff and its sand sifter safe :razz:

Reef23
07-04-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm thinking 1.5" sandbed with the special grade. Any suggestions. I ran 1.5 on my 75G without issue but it was only setup for 6mnths I'm looking for a long term plan.

phi delt reefer
07-04-2011, 10:05 PM
1" is enough... dsb is 5"+ so no need to lose vertical room for nothing

Reef23
07-04-2011, 10:16 PM
1" is enough... dsb is 5"+ so no need to lose vertical room for nothing

That's the depth I was hoping for. I'm not to interested in the DSB. Do you guys still run DSB in your fuge? I see alot of people just run live rock in there fuge and no sand. Also what's the maintenance on a 1" sand bed ? Will sand sifting critters be ok in only 1" ?

phi delt reefer
07-04-2011, 10:20 PM
yeah they will be fine. you wont be able to get anything that needs a major burrow but if you can sorta pile up the rock so the holes at bottom make for a good burrow.

you can just rake the burrow or get some narrisus and a conch. they push it around alot. Diamond goby will make clean through it as well

Reef23
07-04-2011, 10:46 PM
yeah they will be fine. you wont be able to get anything that needs a major burrow but if you can sorta pile up the rock so the holes at bottom make for a good burrow.

you can just rake the burrow or get some narrisus and a conch. they push it around alot. Diamond goby will make clean through it as well

I have a diamond goby going over from my 75 to the new tank.