PDA

View Full Version : 150 watt coralife metal halide pendant question

spit.fire
07-03-2011, 11:40 PM
how do i figure out how high off the water to mount it? the tank is 20"x20" by 24" tall

reefwars
07-03-2011, 11:47 PM
well if its a new tank then you can try for as close as you can where its 24" deep id start with 8-10 inches and if it doesnt raise your temp drastically go for lower like 6-8.if you have a light now over your tank and this is an upgrade to a halide i would go a bit higher and work your way down to the above especially if you have corals.

ive never had this light keep in mind ive just had halides of different kinds over the years and this is what ive done so maybe someone who has this particular light will chime in a bit better:) cheers:)

spit.fire
07-03-2011, 11:54 PM
well if its a new tank then you can try for as close as you can where its 24" deep id start with 8-10 inches and if it doesnt raise your temp drastically go for lower like 6-8.if you have a light now over your tank and this is an upgrade to a halide i would go a bit higher and work your way down to the above especially if you have corals.

ive never had this light keep in mind ive just had halides of different kinds over the years and this is what ive done so maybe someone who has this particular light will chime in a bit better:) cheers:)
thanks for the info, its currently an uncycled tank and im just putting livefock in it today, once its cycled ill be putting a tomato clown in there and some random coral frags out of my 72 bowfront

its gonna be a substrateless tank as im hoping i can get some coraline growth on the bottom of the tank so i get a ncie purple bottom

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/tyty_220/fishies%202/DSCF5023.jpg

jimbog
07-04-2011, 05:05 AM
well i like to start at 18 inches just as a rule of thumb so i dont burn or bleach the softies ifd they have never had a mh spectrum of 14,000k or higher

MKLKT
07-04-2011, 02:35 PM
If you have a way of mounting it so that the height is adjustable I'd recommend that. As you'll most likely have to play around with it later to accommodate livestock/bulb changes, etc.