PDA

View Full Version : ICH HELP!

SleepyPirate
07-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Ok so bought a blue tang little bugger mabey 1" big but it seems it has ich as its rubbing up against my watermelon mushroom and not eating. I have a 30 Gallon tank thats empty and Im thinking of turning it into a quarantine for him. I have other fish in the tank but its only been a few days and I dont think the ich has had a chance to release and reproduce so I think Id be say with just moving the blue tang.

Can anyone give me some advice if I should do it or not and if so how exactly I should setup the other tank?

reefwars
07-03-2011, 10:22 PM
you should def do it if you can but the ich is in your tank anyways regardless if you only had him or her in there for a short time.personally i would use the 30g and do a hyposalinity with your new friend.during that time i would feed him food soaked in garlic and you may have to be creative for finding him something he can eat as its quite small. in your little quarantine tank add some liverock and some pvc tubing for hiding and no intense light.feed as much as you can and do partial water changes to keep water parameters stable.salinity has to be i believe 1.009 and has to stay that way for 6-8 weeks and even then it couldnt hurt to stay a bit longer.remember stress will only help the ich and a happy fish is a healthy fish so try not to scare him much.when dloing water changes make sure the water is the same temp and sg.

if you have a experienced reefer friend who could come to your house and help you get started would go along way if you never heard of this or even ask someone here to come help you get started.pls dont use copper its just as fast a killer sometimes as ich is.read up on hyposalinity and copper and make yopur own judgements:)

btw your fish is high maintanance and is prone to getting ich repeatedly and will grow to be huge so keep that in mind for long term.

goodluck buddy and cheers:)

reefwars
07-03-2011, 10:24 PM
also just because ich is in your tank doesnt mean all your fish will die it just means you will have to keep a healthy tank or it will show its ugly face.

happy fish are healthy fish when it comes to ich, most fish can fight the parasite if they are strong and healthy and water is good but your guy is little and isnt eating so i would qt him and just keep your tank healthy for the others:)

nc208082
07-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Agreed with above. Tangs are very probe to ich. Especially any of the blue variety.

If you want to rid your system of it fishless for 12-16 weeks is the way to go.

Or maintaining a healthy tank will keep your fish alive. My powder blue will show signs of ich just by looking at him wrong. But keeping parameters stable. Garlic enriched foods and plenty of seaweed will keep them healthy enough to fight it off.

reefwars
07-03-2011, 10:45 PM
it will munch on seaweed or graze like most tangs but it is more of a meat eater so i would reccomend feeding it a variety of meaty foods like brine and mysis and where its so small you may want to use flake food or something small like cyclopeeze or baby brine whichever you can find.making your own is def a possibility but small food in small doses many times throughout the day as alot gets carried away with your wavemaker or powerhead and the fish is too scared to hunt it down.

garlic isnt a cure but will help entice the fish to eat....its like candy to them lol and if it wont eat then theres a good chance he will give in to the ich:):)cheers:)

naesco
07-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Do as reefwars has suggested.
As the tang is small use some flake food and squeeze it into small pieces than soak the food in garlic extract or Garlic Extreme.
Feed only garlic soaked food and feed very often.
The idea is to get as much garlic into all your fish as quickly as possible.

cwatkins
07-04-2011, 04:17 AM
+1 to the advice above. Also try soaking the food with Selcon too.

Ich is not the end of the world if you catch it in time and keep your fish healthy.

Wayne
07-05-2011, 01:24 AM
As Reefwars suggested with the Hyposalinity, you need to make sure that after a few weeks of hypo you need to bring the salinity up VERY SLOWLY. Fish can easily live with less salt but going the other way can be very hard on fish.