PDA

View Full Version : Coral base detachment???

spawn
06-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Is there a known plant or anemone, that can grow underneath the base of a coral that causes the coral base to appear as though it is lifting from the rock surface? I have this on part of 1 acro base. The plant looks like a purple pot leaf about 1/8" in diameter & it retracts at dawn & dusk when the full lighting is is not on. The coral is in great health, lot's of new growth with excellent p.e. even right beside these things but it looks as though the coral is lifting off the rock because of them to the point it looks as though it could fall off.
Any idea's on what this may be & if they are bad?

fishytime
06-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Can you get a pic?.... Sounds weird.... If you didnt add it, then chances are you don't want it:lol:

spawn
06-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Can you get a pic?.... Sounds weird.... If you didnt add it, then chances are you don't want it:lol:
These are the best I can get....they're hard to see ok really hard, but they are under the white acro with the purple tips, located at the lowest right of the coral base.??

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae199/spawn26/growthjune20008.jpg
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae199/spawn26/growthjune20007.jpg

lorenz0
06-30-2011, 08:20 PM
im interested to see what these end up being.

spawn
07-01-2011, 01:26 AM
I am also interested & the diameter of them is more like a 1/4"-5/16". In the pic you can see how the base looks like it's not attached... That's because it's not. I wonder if those things were there all along & now that the coral is growing over them it just looks weird? Again because the coral shows no signs of irritation, with exception of course to the fact it's not attached to the rock.

eli@fijireefrock.com
07-01-2011, 01:33 AM
I think these are blue star polips:biggrin:

spawn
07-01-2011, 01:49 AM
Thanks Elias, they're blue, but I believe thanks to the possible ID. they're a type of clavularia polyp. cheers
Should I try & get them out? from what I read quickly they can be finicky & not sure if they will be problematic?